SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Mod from Onealex (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=248010)

Brooksie 05-06-24 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doolar (Post 2911565)
you mentioned STEAM. did you completely delete all the STEAM Folders including the SAVE GAME FOLDER created by your STEAM install ? It is highly recomended that you remove ALL files left over from a previous install before a new installation of OneAlex or any Super Mod installation as that goes. The pic posted was not clear enough for me to see.

Yes, I uninstalled SH3 through Steam. Then I deleted the folder in the directory file where Steam is located. After that, I checked the documents and found no saved folders. I think that having multiple screens set up may be a part of my problem. I will try the installation of the mod again while only using one screen.

Doolar 05-25-24 12:58 AM

Re

after i create my save folder in DOCUMENTS. (Sorry if I didn't see if you did this or not), by first starting SH3 via the SH3.exe not Commander, yet. Exit game. now start the game via Commander (Cmdr.exe). The first thing that pops up will be a small window asking you to select your save game folder, just created for this particular install.

you hav a PM from me.

with the name of Brooksie, are you from the Maryland. That name means alot to Marylanders

York2016 06-02-24 11:10 PM

Been trying to get back into SH3 via this mod, but i cant for the life of me get it to work. It boots up Academy just fine but both Career and Single Mission are a no go.

It crashes at 25-30% Loading Bar in Career and at 100% in Single Mission, both just go to a black screen and then CTD.
LSH 2022 doesnt seem to have this issue for me from a fresh install of it however. Doing the same for OneAlex (Plus using MultiSH3 to change its save directory and then creating the necessary files by booting via the OneAlex sh3.exe) does not seem to work by comparison.

hauangua 06-03-24 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by York2016 (Post 2913705)
Been trying to get back into SH3 via this mod, but i cant for the life of me get it to work. It boots up Academy just fine but both Career and Single Mission are a no go.

It crashes at 25-30% Loading Bar in Career and at 100% in Single Mission, both just go to a black screen and then CTD.
LSH 2022 doesnt seem to have this issue for me from a fresh install of it however. Doing the same for OneAlex (Plus using MultiSH3 to change its save directory and then creating the necessary files by booting via the OneAlex sh3.exe) does not seem to work by comparison.

Hi York2016 did you follow the installation instructions step by step? What specifications does your PC have?

York2016 06-03-24 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauangua (Post 2913709)
Hi York2016 did you follow the installation instructions step by step? What specifications does your PC have?

Hello,

Yeah, i've followed the instructions and also redownloaded/reinstalled the mod just in case that the files got corrupted.
I've also tested Fifi's NYGM version and that one also works.

PC Specs:
GPU: RTX 3070 8GB
CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 DDR4

jaxa 06-12-24 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doolar (Post 2911521)
Dumb questions here .... only because I really can't think of anything else and sorry about that, but did you set up a save game folder in your Doc Folder and did you point your install to it. If you did, then I don't know. I guess I would delete that save game folder and the rebuild it by ... starting SH3 via the SH3.exe in your game folder, let it run till you see the "options", and while your there set the Language to German (setting the language is NOT causing your issue, but you might as well set it while your there). Exit out. Start SH3 via the Cmdr.exe (Commander). You should get an explorer window asking you you select your install. You've rebuilt your Save Game Folder so if that was messed up, it's fixed. Make sure all your importation .exe's (SH3.exe, Cmdr.exe and JSGME.exe) are set to " Run as Administrator" and set to "Win 7 compatabilly." this is what I would try . If I was unsucessful, then I myself would start from scratch.

INSTALLATION OF ONEALEX
1. Download ONEALEX 1.xx and UnZip the SH3 Folder to your choice of location (not in Program Files).
2. Open the SH3 folder and locate these 3 executables, the SH3.exe, Cmdr.exe (located in the SH3 Commander’s English Folder) and the JSGME.exe. Change each executable, by right clicking and selecting their Properties, to WIN7 compatibly / and run as ADMIN. (this is very important)
3. Start the game via the SH3.exe, (not SH3 Commander) to set a SAVE FOLDER. (if you don’t already have a SAVE FOLDER from a previous installation, this will create one).
4. Set game OPTIONS to GERMAN LANGUAGE (or you will have no voices).
5. Exit game.
6. Add Mods you want from SH3 MODS Folder by activating them via JSGME.
7. I place a Cmdr Shortcut on my desktop, by R-click Cmdr.exe, select "PIN TO TASKBAR" or PIN TO START . (Totally Un-Necessary, I do this for my convenience, to start the game easier)
8. I place a JSGME Shortcut on my desktop, by R-click JSGME.exe, select "PIN TO TASKBAR" or PIN TO START . (Totally Un-Necessary, I do this for my convenience, to adjust the game add-in mods easier)
9. Set OPTIONS in SH3 Cmdr. to your liking.
10. Setup Career & Play, via SH3 Commander

hope this helps

Hmm, something is wrong for me :k_confused:
I do everything as described, can play naval school, but trying single missions or campaign I have CTD.

JohnCarterOfMars 06-12-24 07:57 PM

I think I was getting a CTD until I reran the 4Gb patch, even though I think the SH3.exe was already patched.

Have you tried running the 4Gb patch on the exe?

jaxa 06-13-24 04:42 AM

No, it didn't help. :hmmm:

JohnCarterOfMars 06-14-24 12:40 AM

Have you tried going into Career and creating a dummy player, then exiting, then going back into the game and creating your "for real" career and see if that one loads?

Or...

Have you tried locating just the GWX version of SH3 and see if you can get that to run?

jaxa 06-14-24 01:48 AM

It didn't help.

SH3 + GWX 3.0 works fine, single missions and career.

JohnCarterOfMars 06-14-24 02:36 AM

What about your graphics card? Is it NVidia? I know that OneAlex has suggested settings in his documentation for the NVidia control panel for the SH3.EXE.

Also, did you check your PC graphics settings to make sure that your PC is running the GPU and not the integrated graphics chip?

jaxa 06-14-24 04:09 AM

I've got laptop Huawei Matebook D16 2024, with no additional graphic card, only Intel Iris Xe on board.

propbeanie 06-14-24 11:24 AM

The Iris is capable of running the game easily, but your computer has 1920 × 1200 display, which is 16:10, and OneAlex is meant for a 16:9 1920x1080 resolution, if I'm not mistaking. You might have to tweak some SH3.exe Compatibility settings, plus, if you are using the default SH3 save folder in both GWX and OneAlex, you have different settings, so you might need to use MultiSH3 on one of your installs, or delete the Save folder when changing mods. You will lose all progress made so far doing that...

Edit: Yeah, that "1920 x 1200 display..." was supposed to say "NOT 16:9"... :oops:
:arrgh!:

JohnCarterOfMars 06-14-24 01:52 PM

1920 x 1200 is 16:10, not 16:9.

I suppose he can change his graphics settings to display 1920 x 1080 and see if the game runs, but it won't be native to the computer and might have some performance issues. This should just have some letterboxing on the left and right edges.

Something else I've recommended for older games with memory constraints (like Civilization IV) is a small program called Process Lasso by Bitsum.com. This program manages the prioritization of processes that run in the foreground and background to try to optimize CPU performance by lowering the priorities of certain background processes in order to give the foreground process (the most visible to the user) a smoother experience. One feature of Process Lasso is "Trim" which will ask certain programs to release memory as available RAM gets tight.

Some programs (I suspect SH3 to be among them) use a lot of RAM at startup, and then that RAM sits allocated from now on. Process Lasso has another feature called "Process Watchdog" which monitors the performance of specific programs and can set triggers to perform certain actions. For SH3, I set Watchdog to monitor SH3.exe for virtual memory exceeding 3,200 Mb (3.2Gb) for 1 second and then Trimming SH3 memory.

The specific settings are:

Process Match: sh3.exe
for: virtual memory
Greater than: 3,200 megabytes
for: 1 seconds
then: trim virtual memory
Virtual memory metric to use: Working set

Then click on Add Rule.

If you're CTD is memory related, this might help free up memory while the program is loading, certainly while you're playing. I wonder if this might also address late game issues that I've read when lots of vessels might be loaded into memory.

jaxa 06-14-24 02:40 PM

Hmm, in my opinion resolution and aspect ratio isn't the problem, because naval school works fine.
There is something wrong in another place. Looking at files structure I've noticed strange thing - I have installed GWX OneAlex Edition 1.53 to SH3 folder at system drive (C:\), but don't have specific save folder (after executing SH3.exe), only C:\Users\Jaxa\OneDrive\Documents\SH3\data\cfg folder, there is save.tmp file and other files. Shouldn't be there Save folder?

propbeanie 06-14-24 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCarterOfMars (Post 2914765)
1920 x 1200 is 16:10, not 16:9...

WHOOPS - forgot the word NOT in that... corrected above. Thanks :salute:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxa (Post 2914769)
Hmm, in my opinion resolution and aspect ratio isn't the problem, because naval school works fine.
There is something wrong in another place. Looking at files structure I've noticed strange thing - I have installed GWX OneAlex Edition 1.53 to SH3 folder at system drive (C:\), but don't have specific save folder (after executing SH3.exe), only C:\Users\Jaxa\OneDrive\Documents\SH3\data\cfg folder, there is save.tmp file and other files. Shouldn't be there Save folder?

I do not have OneAlex mod on this computer, but it seems to me it is a full install, which might include a FileManager.dll from his game, and could possibly point to another location. If MultiSH3 is not in your install, download that, run it, and see what it says the Save folder is. After running a fresh game, there will not be very many files in the Save folder, only the basics.