SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   The Hunt: An illustrated example of how to sink a ship (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88961)

Pisces 08-27-09 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunky48 (Post 1159452)
Yeah, that's what I figured out. But I don't know hot to set a true intercept course. I always arrive way too early (or sometimes too late).

Did you intercept based on a specific given speed (like you get from a convoy report) or just estimated based on a vague speed range (slow, medium or fast, like a single-unit map contact report). If the last then it is perfectly normal that you arrive to early or too late. The method in this thread is a true intercept. It's just that the information provided by the game contains uncertainties (as it should). So you either take worst-case values and decide to let the most difficult ones pass, or accept the chance some of your intercepts fail.

Spunky48 08-27-09 03:24 PM

I follow the tutorial to the letter. Slow = 6 knots, medium = 9 knots, and I'm not going to waste fuel catching up to fast (which I assume is 12 knots).

JHuschke 08-27-09 03:55 PM

Haha I'm printing this out.. :P

Dimitrius07 08-27-09 04:15 PM

Little math + some practice = victory. Without map contact update it will be harder.

Pisces 08-29-09 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunky48 (Post 1160197)
I follow the tutorial to the letter. Slow = 6 knots, medium = 9 knots, and I'm not going to waste fuel catching up to fast (which I assume is 12 knots).

In my experience slow units go upto 7.5 knots maximum, anything above that until 11.5 knots is medium speed. So that explains why you sometimes end up late to the party. You probably didn't do anything wrong with your intercept, other than underestimating his speed. If you use the above speeds you'll allways end up in front of him. Infact most often I don't hear it yet on hydrophone and so I need to search for him along his course-track. Which can sometimes take hours if you find out it was actually doing 4 knots instead of 7.5. :damn: But then he's toast anyway. I hardly ever encounter merchants going fast. Infact I can't even remember when. But I do want to catch medium speed ships so I do assume it's speed is 11.5. It all depends on where I am in relation to his contact report if I actually go after it. I made a rule to allow the contact to move 175km maximum during my intercept. If I am at that point at that time the contact should still be within hydrophone range despite his course being a bit off (+- 11.25 degrees). That is to say, if you listen yourself, your crew might not be sensitive enough to hear him.

Wuss 01-27-12 06:04 PM

is there a printable version of the hunt,i would love one to practice with,the link to the pdf on the original post is dead now.

Pisces 01-28-12 07:58 AM

Unfortunately I never stored this PDF on my harddrive.

But ..... it was stored here on subsim allready in the Download-section :rock:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1081

Wuss 01-28-12 09:45 AM

thanks Pisces,dont know why i didnt find that link :salute:

Gangrene 01-28-12 05:54 PM

I use a MUCH SIMPLER way to plot an intercept, it's easier and very accurate... Stock game... You are given the location, angle, and "rough speed".

1. Draw the path: There is a tail on the mark, draw a line from the tip of the tail through the ship and far off ahead of it. You can pull the line far ahead and still adjust the line to match the direction as close as you can. If you want to be exact or not do any math you can draw a second line from the actual point of the ship and not the tail... then delete the original line to get it out of the way.

2. Now draw a line from your sub to their ships original location, DON'T click it(lock it in), just mentally note the distance, then start adjusting the line along the path until the two distances match.

Now, if you travel there at the same speed you would both hit that spot at the same time.

3. Simply adjust one or more factors to insure you arrive before them.
3a. You can travel to that location at a faster speed. Assume 6-7.. Go 8-9 knots... for example.
3b. measure the distance so theirs is a little longer than yours. So maybe your line intersects at 25km on their line and 21km on your line. If you travel at the same speed you'll arrive at that point and their ship should be about 4km away... depending on your skills and their speed you should be able to adjust your position and calculate your solution in plenty of time.

Expand your skills: As you do this over and over again you'll get better at it. and you can adjust more factors like... if you think they are traveling 6 knots and you want to travel at 12. Simply have your ship double the distance they travel and you should arrive at the same place, same time(This is useful for distant ships where you are going to have to out distance them to intercept). Eventually you'll be able to adjust your angle and speed(together) and be confident with your math in your head.

And there you have it! No angles, no trigonometry, etc... simple as it gets, JUST TWO LINES and look at their lengths.

That's just getting to the ship... I have other techniques I use to put it down. ;)

Does that help anybody?

Pisces 01-28-12 07:16 PM

You are doing basically the same. So I wouldn't call this more simpler. The described method are systematic steps that you can make a routine. Whereas yours is more (gu)estimating the proper intercept location. Whatever works for you.

sixcoins 08-30-12 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMV (Post 1159573)
Spunky48

A good tutorial there for Intercepting just in time :

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...3&m=5051056603

Hello! I clicked on this link, and it opened up the UbiSoft forums main page. My search didn't bring up an intercept tutorial.

I'm sad now.

I appreciate you putting it in here, though.... I'll do some more searching around and see what I can find.

Thanks!

Six.

sharkbit 08-30-12 12:49 PM

From the downloads section:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1081

Try downloading the file. I believe that will give you what you want.

:)

Red Heat 08-30-12 04:20 PM

I believe its a very good instrument specially for the beginners or simple for those who wants to make the things "by the book"... :)

audio-junkie 11-06-12 10:10 AM

What an awesome guide! I can't wait to begin stalking reported contacts. I usually missed many of them before, but now I have a surefire way of making sure I arrive ahead of schedule and sending those contacts to the Deep Six.

Demonwolf 11-13-12 12:20 AM

this rele helps thanks