SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [WIP] FX Update (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174511)

Bilge_Rat 03-28-12 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrEZeX (Post 1862170)
Yes, just before (0,5 sec) the unit is destroyed the game freezes and I have no lag until just before the next unit is destroyed. I do not notice lag when the unit gets hit and start burning, exploding, etc, just before it is officially destroyed. I also tried to turn down the particle density all the way to the left but it's not working. I feel like its not a graphical lag but has something to do with whatever the game is doing just before a ship gets destroyed...

did you try the anti-lag tweaker (post 867), that made the biggest diference for me or the change suggested by Echolot in post 868?

Rubini 03-28-12 04:31 PM

Well, i have a GTX560 and sometimes have the big explosions lag using FX mod anyway as I said. Win 7 8gb i5 2500k. It's just a feedback, not a big problem indeed.

PrEZeX 03-28-12 04:45 PM

Yes, I have the antilag installed and tried different FPS and framesahead settings. I have now also tried turning down all the graphical settings to the lowest possible, but I still get this lag and the strange cursor unattachment.:cry:

Echolot 03-28-12 04:49 PM

I can remember the mouse cursor thing happens to me too sometime ago.
IRC it has to do with a wrong mod order but can't remember what mods.

:hmmm:

Try enable mods one by one and check the mouse.

PrEZeX 03-28-12 04:55 PM

The problem is that I'm using MegaMod and it's impossible to change the order of the mods in it... :dead:

Echolot 03-28-12 05:03 PM

Have you asked in the MegaMods thread, maybe other users have the same issues?

IMO it has nothing to do with mouse device or drivers, with other mods (order) the problem was not there.

PrEZeX 03-28-12 05:10 PM

I understand, maybe I can try to make my own mod list... It would be more simple to change everything...:06:

misha1967 03-29-12 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat (Post 1862137)
That being said, Nvidia drivers are not perfect either, they just have a different set of problems. :ping:

Tell me about it! :haha:

I fell for the temptation to install the all new, WHQL certified 296.10 drivers when I upgraded from a 260 to a 570 as opposed to the 285.62 I'd been using quite happily up until then.

And I really should have known better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't know how many times I've made that mistake in the past so I really have no excuse. But, hey, new card, new drivers! Yay me. Gotta have!

And my performance immediately started changing from what I was used to, and not in a good way.

What finally got my thick head to consider that maybe the new drivers weren't really what I needed was when my graphics WEI score dropped from 5.9 (max in Vista) to 3.6. After upgrading to a card about three generations newer than the one I used to have. Right. THAT'S likely to happen. Of course, we all know that the WEI score isn't exactly "gold standard", but when it drops it DOES mean that you have to manually "fix" the registry to make Windows act normally since it uses that infernal score to "adjust" the way Windows behaves to give you a "better" experience, no matter what your system is actually capable of. It's really fun having to edit the registry to keep Windoze from "helpfully" adjusting your screen resolution while viewing slide shows back to 1990s standards. Not.

More importantly, I'd also noticed strange behavior in other applications such as SH5 that I'd never seen before. Such as the FPS dropping to single digits when trying to drag the TAI at one particular zoom level.

So I finally realized that the only thing I'd done to make my system perform worse was to upgrade to a GPU ten times better than the old one I used to have AND upgrade the drivers to nVidia's "latest and greatest." Two solutions here: Throw out the GPU I'd just spent hundreds of dollars on or roll back the drivers. For some odd reason I chose the latter and went back to 285.62. And guess what? Everything went back to what it should be. 5.9 across the board and, more importantly, no "odd" behavior in games anymore.

And again, I have only myself to thank for this because I KNOW better. Drivers are like "new and improved" versions of Windows OS's: Don't ever use anything that it the "latest." Always go for the the version prior to that.

Don't be a paying beta tester for the twits. :DL

SilentAssassin 03-29-12 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echolot (Post 1862152)
Hello SilentAssassin and welcome to the forum.

You could try to put the Dynamic Environment Mod before FX Update because it overwrites the baza_fx.dat from FX Update.

And delete the BRF 1.3 from your list, it will conflict with FX Update too.

Regards.

Echol:yep:t.

Thanks Echolot...tried both of those to no avail, and decided to do a fresh install. Turns out I simply wasn't taking the root folder out of the unzipped file (just the first one labeled FX_Update) and copying in to the MODS folder. After fixing that...good to go!

I've got to say TDW, you have some skills. One of the better modders of any game forum I have been to. Nicely done!:salute:

PrEZeX 03-30-12 08:33 AM

I made a debug log when the game crashes, don't know if it helps...

Bilge_Rat 04-01-12 07:48 AM

On my system, it was the distress flares that was causing lags/freezes. I commented out both sections and now have no problems with even the biggest explosions.

Dignan 04-01-12 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat (Post 1863726)
On my system, it was the distress flares that was causing lags/freezes. I commented out both sections and now have no problems with even the biggest explosions.

what file and line in the file do we need to edit?

Bilge_Rat 04-01-12 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dignan (Post 1863819)
what file and line in the file do we need to edit?

Look at post #868 above for instructions. I commented out the the entire sections, not just "effect 2".

Dignan 04-02-12 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat (Post 1863825)
Look at post #868 above for instructions. I commented out the the entire sections, not just "effect 2".

Thanks

PrEZeX 04-02-12 08:37 PM

Can someone competent take a look at my debug log in post #895 and help me locate the cause of CTD? :dead: