SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Tom Hanks' new convoy war movie: Greyhound (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229617)

Nefarious 04-19-20 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by promitheas (Post 2659769)
Why is there no watch crew when the boat is surfaced?

Can't make the enemy look human. :Kaleun_Periskop:

Levyathan89 04-22-20 02:03 PM

Ahaha I just watched the trailer and wow, this is going to be some bull****.

I like the creepy whale noises the uboats make, though. They're pretty badass. Definitely bull****. But badass.

Jeff-Groves 04-22-20 04:23 PM

Having watched the Accountant for like the 5th time?
I expect this to be just as entertaining as that.
I mean, who could shoot a BMG .50 Cal semi-auto at a standing position like that?
That thing is 30 pounds PLUS easy!
Mostly BS but still probably fun IF the Wife can handle how many times We point out the BS!
:haha:

Levyathan89 04-23-20 05:34 AM

Well, I'd watch it, too. it looks entertaining. Unfortunately, due to corona virus, we're not going to be able to watch this in a movie theatre in June, are we?

John Pancoast 04-23-20 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levyathan89 (Post 2665435)
Well, I'd watch it, too. it looks entertaining. Unfortunately, due to corona virus, we're not going to be able to watch this in a movie theatre in June, are we?

Hard to say; June is aways off still.

ET2SN 04-26-20 11:51 AM

Man, I need to get my post count up. :doh:

ET2SN 04-26-20 11:52 AM

I really, really need to get my post count up. :Kaleun_Cheers:
You'll see why. :D

John Pancoast 04-28-20 06:43 PM

The Cruel Sea

Woohoo ! Finally found a Region 1 dvd of this film on eBay ! :yeah:

John Pancoast 05-09-20 06:40 PM

The Cruel Sea

Got a chance to watch this. Outstanding film even all these years later. Very well done.

irishblue 05-11-20 08:28 PM

To dream a pipe dream

Just finished reading "The Bravest Man" about Dick O'Kane and reread the portion of John Keegan's book "Battle at Sea" about the epic battle between two convoys and about 40 U-boats crossing the Atlantic. So much rich historical material and Hollywood always has to butcher it. Never understand why they can't just stick to the real history which can be so interesting and engaging.

Oh well. May go see it or wait for Bluray. Hope it is not SJW'd to death.

Reading "Das Boot" for the first time too. Fascinating and scary stuff.

Thanks for all you guys do keeping the history alive.

Texas Red 05-11-20 08:56 PM

I freaking hate it when Hollywood ruins movies. Midway (2019) is an example. There are too many freaking "Hollywood" explosions and the dialogue is so bad, maybe even corny.
I only really liked the historical accuracy it had in it. I think that 1917 was my favorite war movie of the year.

I pray that Greyhound isn't ruined by Hollywood.

Aktungbby 05-11-20 10:26 PM

Welcome aboard!

irishblue!:Kaleun_Salute:

Levyathan89 05-12-20 01:58 AM

Can't they just, I don't know, put it on netflix?

Quote:

The World War II drama Greyhound — starring Tom Hanks, who himself is recovering from the coronavirus — is now undated (it has been moved several times, and was most recently set to open in early June).
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...avirus-1285759

mrb__ 05-19-20 02:14 PM

Y’all gonna see it when it comes out anyway. Me too. Multiple times.
Despite all the hollywood drama and sales tricks, us hating the details and the wives hating our mumble every time we play it.

Too much of inhumanizing the boot crews in my sense, scaring the audience with the shadowy Ze Germans of the dark. Makes me feel like I am watching an alien movie, rather than a story based on actual events as the spoiler says. But lets not judge the book by the cover and wait a bit more.

I’d love to see a sensible picture about Kretschmer and Prien too, we all know that is not going to happen though. Cant correlate the nazis to modern Germany these days, too political, I believe. That including the true uboat’s emblems and other tiny movie details the interested public could pick up and use as political fuel later.
Tom wants to stay close to the true series of events, but can’t get too close too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 2653061)
Hi!

You may want to read about the duel between USS Chatelain and U-515 on April 9, 1944.

I would rather say, the plot line to be loosely based on convoy SC-107 story, the HMCS Restigouche and the U132. If you take a closer look at the emblems, despite their sizing and location, the first sub actually resembles the modified U132 with another one pretty close to U190.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves (Post 2652896)
:hmmm:
Looks to me that they were using the 'Turms Your Way' mod.
:haha:

Looking forward to the new graphics pack. Would be fun to have them in SH3 :haha:

Jimbuna 05-19-20 03:10 PM

Welcome to SubSim mrb :Kaleun_Salute:

Onkel Neal 05-19-20 03:31 PM

Tom Hanks Submarine Drama ‘Greyhound’ Skips Theaters to Debut on Apple TV Plus

Quote:

Apple TV Plus has bought worldwide rights from Sony Pictures to the Tom Hanks World War II drama “Greyhound” following a bidding war for the movie, which was previously set for a Father’s Day theatrical release.

Six-month-old Apple TV Plus announced the deal Tuesday. The streaming service did not disclose when it will release “Greyhound.”

Texas Red 05-19-20 05:04 PM

facepalms

Why the heck is God or whoever trying to ruin this movie? :/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!

Aktungbby 05-19-20 08:15 PM

Welcome aboard!

mrb_,:Kaleun_Salute:

Levyathan89 05-20-20 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2671705)

This sort of competition between the streaming services is nothing but trouble for the customers. Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRh-dzrI4Z4

jaop99 05-20-20 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levyathan89 (Post 2671777)
This sort of competition between the streaming services is nothing but trouble for the customers. Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRh-dzrI4Z4

The war between streaming services is only making to the people to find other alternatives. Is time to take a look to my friend Jack Sparrow's movie library!

:arrgh!: