SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Windows 10: What You Need to Know (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=218037)

avers 07-29-15 01:40 PM

Has anyone gotten there free windows 10? I still haven't.

Jimbuna 07-29-15 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avers (Post 2332309)
Has anyone gotten there free windows 10? I still haven't.

I'm still waiting but it is going to be released in batches.

Rockin Robbins 07-29-15 02:35 PM

What do you think about the Windows 10 nag-adware "update" program being called GWX.exe? I say sue 'em!:D

Commander Wallace 07-29-15 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolferz (Post 2332308)
Ground up previous versions.:yep::03::O:

I do have a copy reserved for my and milady's rigs.
We'll see how good it is. Wish me luck.
From the pre-release hype, it's touted to easily mesh with all of your devices. Not a feature that everyone needs so, they're giving everyone a taste to get them hooked on all the new media interface hardware.
They want us to buy more junk to keep up with.:-?

Hey, it might be really good, lol. :O: Windows 10 is said to use way less memory than windows vista or Windows 7

Best of luck with the change over to 10. Let us know your thoughts on it and how it works. Neil had posted on how to make the Silent Hunter series work with any version of windows. I wonder if a interface of sorts may be needed If the architecture of windows 10 differs from previous versions. Like Fred said in this thread, it loads but Fred didn't say which SH he was playing. Hope it works for you Avers and everyone else. :up:

d@rk51d3 07-29-15 05:21 PM

Upgraded to 10 last night. Looks a bit like win 7 with elements of 8 added (from the little I've seen of 8)
Startup and logon is quite a bit slower than 7. Mind you, its a core2 duo with only 4 gigs of RAM.
I'm stuck with a now redundant install of MSE, which won't uninstall. Had to knock up a batch file to strip it from the registry and startup.

So far, not so bad.

Oberon 07-29-15 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2332337)
What do you think about the Windows 10 nag-adware "update" program being called GWX.exe? I say sue 'em!:D

I've got to admit, that made me double-take too when I saw it running in the processes, I thought for a moment Jim might have hijacked my computer, but then I remembered that it wasn't a limo so it should be ok. :yeah:

avers 07-29-15 06:42 PM

I still haven't gotten my free download yet, I hope I get it today.

August 07-29-15 07:10 PM

XP still works great for me... :)

Onkel Neal 07-29-15 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 2332387)
I've got to admit, that made me double-take too when I saw it running in the processes, I thought for a moment Jim might have hijacked my computer, but then I remembered that it wasn't a limo so it should be ok. :yeah:

:k_rofl:

That limo story will never get old.

Jeff-Groves 07-29-15 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 2332408)

That limo story will never get old.

As long as I'm around?
I'll never let him live it down!
:har:

I may just put it in my will that I give Jim a free Limo of his choice.
:D

Jimbuna 07-30-15 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2332337)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 2332387)

LOL I haven't received the free upgrade yet :)

STEED 07-30-15 08:48 AM

Friend of mind got it now his PC is in dry dock under repair! Don't ask me what he did or did not all I got was a load of bleeps off him cursing Win10.

I'm holding off and will make my mind up next June before the years free upgrade goes.

HW3 07-30-15 10:56 AM

Upgraded my HP laptop last night from Windows 7, so far so good. It will take some getting use to though.

avers 07-30-15 10:58 AM

I'm kind of worried, I still haven't gotten my upgrade and when I go into my updates history, there is an update called Windows 10 Home, but it says it's failed to download.

Sailor Steve 07-30-15 11:04 AM

I said "ask me tomorrow". Tomorrow came and went, and is now yesterday. Today is a new tomorrow, and no, I haven't received mine yet either.

Maybe tomorrow.
:rotfl2: