SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [REL] Real volumetric clouds&fog!! (and is almost done!) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=207786)

VONHARRIS 10-15-13 12:32 PM

Just downloaded.

Waiting anxiously to return to base to install it.

Thank you once more Rubini. :salute:

Seeadler 10-15-13 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makman94 (Post 2128447)
you mean that with your dll we can have more than one shaders on the water at the same time?

No, my widescreen d3d9.dll decodes at runtime the vertex/pixel shader from memory and writes it as shader assembly code into txt-files. Once these txt-files are available, the SH3 engine uses the shader code from these files and not the hard-coded. At current work status only the shader instructions can be changed by editing the txt-file, no new variables or textures can be passed every (x) frame to the shaders.

the SH3 ocean pixel shader for example:
Code:

ps_1_1
    tex t0                           
    texbem t1, t0                 
    mad t1, t1, c0.w, c1.w   
    dp3_sat r0, v0_bx2, t0
    lrp r0.xyz, r0.w, c0, c1
    lrp r0.xyz, v0.w, t1, r0
  + mov r0.w, t0.w
// approximately 6 instruction slots used (2 texture, 4 arithmetic)

And yet there is a shader for clouds but only a vertex shader. I assume it is used to calculate the mapping of cloud textures on the 3D cloud dome.

jaxa 10-15-13 02:06 PM

Wow, the game looks fantastic now.
Good work Rubini, it's the next mod for my "must have" mods set.

Rubini 10-15-13 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VONHARRIS (Post 2128449)
Just downloaded.

Waiting anxiously to return to base to install it.

Thank you once more Rubini. :salute:

Vonharris,
Donīt forget that it can be enabled at any tyme. Just enable it and download your last saved game, then you are ready to go.:up:

Rubini 10-15-13 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeadler (Post 2128477)
No, my widescreen d3d9.dll decodes at runtime the vertex/pixel shader from memory and writes it as shader assembly code into txt-files. Once these txt-files are available, the SH3 engine uses the shader code from these files and not the hard-coded. At current work status only the shader instructions can be changed by editing the txt-file, no new variables or textures can be passed every (x) frame to the shaders.

the SH3 ocean pixel shader for example:
Code:

ps_1_1
    tex t0                           
    texbem t1, t0                 
    mad t1, t1, c0.w, c1.w   
    dp3_sat r0, v0_bx2, t0
    lrp r0.xyz, r0.w, c0, c1
    lrp r0.xyz, v0.w, t1, r0
  + mov r0.w, t0.w
// approximately 6 instruction slots used (2 texture, 4 arithmetic)

And yet there is a shader for clouds but only a vertex shader. I assume it is used to calculate the mapping of cloud textures on the 3D cloud dome.

Seeadler,

And about shadows, any hope?

Dronston 10-15-13 03:02 PM

Thanks Rubini, very nice addition. :salute:

I confirm that you can install mid patrol and it seems to work fine in combination with MEP (20 km atmos).

Seeadler 10-15-13 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubini (Post 2128493)
And about shadows, any hope?

I thought it was a shadow shader but it is only assigned to crew models and do some kind of bump-mapping
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...6332623965.jpg
what I am trying to do is to replace the shaders with new ones which are configurable from the outside.

Rhodes 10-15-13 04:21 PM

^:haha: Psychedelically baby!

Already download it and install it! Great mod:up:! Obrigado cara!:yeah:

periunder 10-15-13 04:38 PM

Great work Rubini, as always!

periunder 10-15-13 04:39 PM

One suggestion: can you make the DL link bigger or stand out? Its hard to find in the OP.

Rubini 10-15-13 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by periunder (Post 2128548)
One suggestion: can you make the DL link bigger or stand out? Its hard to find in the OP.

Done!

brett25 10-15-13 05:50 PM

really nice rubini:up:

working fine in my 20km environment:up:

only suggestion/feedback would be if you can make them thicker/darker/fuller.....more visible, in some sunlight conditions i cant see the clouds very well even though they are there in the sky

Rubini 10-15-13 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brett25 (Post 2128576)
really nice rubini:up:

working fine in my 20km environment:up:

only suggestion/feedback would be if you can make them thicker/darker/fuller.....more visible, in some sunlight conditions i cant see the clouds very well even though they are there in the sky

Hi brett,

Thanks by your feedback. Iīm waiting for these type of comments, I mean, what ppl think about how clouds/fog must be: more discrete or more intense at first?

If you have some knowledge about S3D, please, open this scene.sim and change all horizon clouds (cardeal points) Global opacity from 0.2 to, lets say, 0.5. Save and reenable the mod. This will make the horizon "clouds" much more intense/darker. The "central_clouds" can have the same modification too if you like it. And if you did it, please, let we know what are the result. Just donīt forget to try your "new" more intense clouds/fog also at night and other wheathers states to really make sure that they will also fit well on these environments.

I opted for more discrete fog/clouds as the first release because I guessed that it could fit better the majority of diferents environments on sh3 community. But I also like more a "bit more intense" one.

Another thing to think about is that as the mod is "all or nothing" a more intense/darker colors can make the mod a bit tedious and repetitive.

Yet another piece to count on is that the clouds becomes more intense after some minutes (sometimes 10 minutes).

Let me know yours results and thoughts on the matter.:up:

sublynx 10-16-13 04:36 AM

I'm in the process of recooking my mod soup as NYGM just changed a little bit so I haven't yet played with these clouds anywhere else but the mission with vanilla. But it does look stunning :rock: Thanks Rubini!

I'm very much looking forward into playing this with MEP and in a campaign :arrgh!:

Rubini 10-16-13 09:17 AM

I need the help from few beta testers for the new version with "real" clouds. Itīs also as simple mod as this version 1.0. What you need to do is just enable the mod and play the game, SM or your actual campaign, donīt matter, it will not affect anything, just eye candy.

I should like to know about FPS drops or not, colors, opacity, if it fit or not various environments, how it behaves in sunrise/sunset/night and dusk, etc.

If you can help, please contact me by PM, but, please, only if you really can test it.:up:

Thanks!