SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Switching to Windows 64-bit (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=178088)

Castout 12-22-10 09:38 PM

Tell us when you get 7 to work Frau. Yes it's gorgeous looking especially when one's used to XP plus it's more secured(DEP protection for one).

frau kaleun 12-22-10 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castout (Post 1558995)
Tell us when you get 7 to work Frau. Yes it's gorgeous looking especially when one's used to XP plus it's more secured(DEP protection for one).

OMG I know. After looking at Win7 for several hours, I couldn't believe how ugly XP looked when I reinstalled it. It was like getting a glimpse of heaven and then being booted back to purgatory. :wah:

Anyhoo I have just done a BIOS update for the very first time and lived to tell the tale! :woot:

Next I plan to enable AHCI and try reinstalling Win7. We'll see what happens.

Castout 12-22-10 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1559010)
OMG I know. After looking at Win7 for several hours, I couldn't believe how ugly XP looked when I reinstalled it. It was like getting a glimpse of heaven and then being booted back to purgatory. :wah:

Anyhoo I have just done a BIOS update for the very first time and lived to tell the tale! :woot:

Next I plan to enable AHCI and try reinstalling Win7. We'll see what happens.

:DL I used Vista before making the jump to 7 so the visual changes are minimal.

I'd suggest reformatting the hard disk so there's no virus or worms that could jeopardize anything.

frau kaleun 12-22-10 11:46 PM

*glances back nervously at LI*

*runs hand over face*

*pulls down on lever*

THUD...CLUNK...BANG...CLUNK...CHUG...CHUG...CHUGGA CHUGGACHUGGA...

:woot:

Er läuft! Er läuft!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for all your help!!!!! :D

Castout 12-23-10 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1559059)
*glances back nervously at LI*

*runs hand over face*

*pulls down on lever*

THUD...CLUNK...BANG...CLUNK...CHUG...CHUG...CHUGGA CHUGGACHUGGA...

:woot:

Er läuft! Er läuft!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for all your help!!!!! :D

So what was it? I don't think it was the BIOS update that did it.

Well at least now you can gaze at 7 merrily for Christmas :DL

Arclight 12-23-10 12:29 AM

Had me worried a bit after not hearing from you. Thought I might have contributed to the demise of a motherboard. :oops:

So yeah, what's the deal? No more HD trouble? :06:

frau kaleun 12-23-10 01:04 AM

Well, tonight was my night to teach at the dojo plus we did my private lesson after everyone else left since we normally do it on Saturday and we'll be closed for Christmas this weekend. Plus I had to stop somewhere on the way and pick up a USB flash drive in order to back up the current BIOS and then load the updated file. So I was gone for about 3 1/2 hours and didn't do anything until I got home.

After I updated the BIOS and made sure I could still boot into XP okay I tried to install 7 without any further changes just to see what would happen and like before it hung up during the "completing installation" reboot.

So I went into Setup and changed the config to AHCI, but with that enabled the BIOS cannot auto-detect SATA devices on all available ports even tho' the OS can if the proper drivers are installed. I quickly found out that neither DVD drive was connected to one of the "auto-detect" ports so I couldn't boot to the Win7 DVD. I had to shut down completely and switch the DVD drives to different ports, after that it detected them and booted from the Win7 disk and the installation was successful.

All 6 of my drives show up in Windows - 2 internal HDD, 1 external, and both DVD drives - so apparently everything's okay in that respect.

Castout 12-23-10 01:24 AM

Well that efforts need to be applauded. Glad everything is okay now. I don't think my own sister would be so techie to solve similar situation or that myself too perhaps :D.

frau kaleun 12-23-10 04:32 AM

I figure I learned some new stuff, which always happens when I stick it out long enough to get something like this resolved - which I usually do, because I think it's a bad idea to let the machine believe it's smarter than you are. They can smell your fear, these beasties. :03:

Anyway I'd never updated BIOS before, now I know how to do that and have done it successfully so it's not something to be inordinately nervous about anymore. :yeah:

Gerald 12-23-10 04:34 AM

Good luck! :DL

Arclight 12-23-10 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1559118)
Anyway I'd never updated BIOS before, now I know how to do that and have done it successfully so it's not something to be inordinately nervous about anymore. :yeah:

It isn't as long as you know what you're doing. Didn't seem to be an isue in this case. ;)

Glad to hear it's working as intended.

Castout 12-23-10 05:34 AM

Well I wouldn't recommend BIOS update. If you fail that you risk losing the motherboard.

Might've been faster if you read the motherboard manual first time on to look for AHCI ports :DL.

Anyway happy now 7 is up. Enjoy it! Have a reliable and strong firewall and AV installed too fast.

Arclight 12-23-10 05:37 AM

Can't wait for the day dual-bios is default on any board. No more update worries, ever. :D

kranz 12-23-10 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castout (Post 1558995)

and that's all what windows 7 is. It took me 2 months to figure out that you cannot arrange the icons on your own like in xp. At least it's better than vista.

Castout 12-23-10 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kranz (Post 1559159)
and that's all what windows 7 is. It took me 2 months to figure out that you cannot arrange the icons on your own like in xp. At least it's better than vista.

What do you mean arranged how?

You could chnage the icon if you like or set them not to be fixed to grid.