SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   2010 Subsim Meet (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Pear Harbor, Hawaii 2011??? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=176239)

krashkart 11-03-10 10:09 PM

How much should I expect to spend in attending a Subsim meet, not including airfare? :ping:

August 11-03-10 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krashkart (Post 1528671)
How much should I expect to spend in attending a Subsim meet, not including airfare? :ping:

It's hard to say. If everyone bunks up at a members house and eats a lot of his wife's home cooked food :D , it's gonna be a lot cheaper than hotel rooms and restaurants.

Ground transportation costs can also vary considerably, ranging from car rentals to chipping in for gas money and parking garage fees. I'd imagine especially in England there'd be a fair amount public transportation like taxis and trains we'll be using too.

Aside from air fares there are four basic expenses to consider:

Living Accommodations, Food, Ground Transportation, Exhibit Admissions

Beyond that is whatever you blow on souvenirs and other optional stuff. Don't discount it though because that was one of my larger expenses at the meet just past.

As for exhibit admissions, that was pretty cheap here. I spent maybe a hundred bucks altogether over the entire weekend and some of that was restoration donations.

Jimbuna 11-04-10 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 1528618)
Yeah we could all have saved a lot of time and money had we known what our numbers were ultimately going to be. This is why I think it'd be best to come up with a plan for accommodations (and transportation too) that works regardless of how many (or few) show up.

It would be an enormous load off the mind of whoever draws the duty of figuring out the itinerary.

Couldn't agree more.....we'll see if anyone living in the Greater London or Southern area steps forward.

That will be a truer measure of the interest and viability of the next SS adventure.

If all else fails I should imagine a group of 'definites' can jointly agree an itinerary regarding places of interest and accomodation.

Where there's a will there is a way.

papa_smurf 11-04-10 06:22 AM

I would be up for a meet in London, as its only 2 hrs away by train for me. Or we could make it Liverpool as we could visit not only U-534 (even though shes in 3 pieces), but also Derby House, home to western approaches during WWII.

Although it is a bit early for me to commit, as real life can throw up unexpected obstacles when you least expect it.

Jimbuna 11-04-10 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa_smurf (Post 1528846)
I would be up for a meet in London, as its only 2 hrs away by train for me. Or we could make it Liverpool as we could visit not only U-534 (even though shes in 3 pieces), but also Derby House, home to western approaches during WWII.

Although it is a bit early for me to commit, as real life can throw up unexpected obstacles when you least expect it.

I wouldn't have thought there is enough to see there....I'd have thought London or the south coast had a lot more content and choice.

papa_smurf 11-04-10 06:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_smurf http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/smartdark/viewpost.gif

I wouldn't have thought there is enough to see there....I'd have thought London or the south coast had a lot more content and choice.
True, was just an idea really.

Herr-Berbunch 11-04-10 07:00 AM

It was a good idea too, but I agree that the action should be darn sarf.

Not much up the other end either, here's a view of Loch Ewe eight years ago, and the fantastically named Isle of Ewe in the middle. Good for peace and tranquility but not for anything to do with the war (unless you're there for an exercise like I was!) :DL

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-a...91369_3142.jpg

Jimbuna 11-04-10 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa_smurf (Post 1528861)
True, was just an idea really.

Nothing wrong with suggestions/ideas mate...keep em coming :up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch (Post 1528867)
It was a good idea too, but I agree that the action should be darn sarf.

Not much up the other end either, here's a view of Loch Ewe eight years ago, and the fantastically named Isle of Ewe in the middle. Good for peace and tranquility but not for anything to do with the war (unless you're there for an exercise like I was!) :DL

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-a...91369_3142.jpg

You can just imagine it....everyone arrives looking for some semblence of a large naval anchorage..."Huh"? :doh:

:DL

Herr-Berbunch 11-04-10 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1528987)
Nothing wrong with suggestions/ideas mate...keep em coming :up:

You can just imagine it....everyone arrives looking for some semblence of a large naval anchorage..."Huh"? :doh:

:DL

I knew nothing of it's position in history when I was there, other than it was a deep sea-loch. The navy had a few vessels in and out whilst I was there, and suffered simulated air attacks by Hawks and Tornadoes. Our job was to rebroadcast secure VHF from Melon Charles Barracks to Stornoway for the air defense guys surrounding the loch. One team from the Royal Artillery eventually set up next to us on our hill top and we got to play with their Rapier kit, including wazzing around the hill in their BV 206 for a laugh.

http://www.tanks4hire.co.uk/media/snowcat.jpg

Jimbuna 11-04-10 12:01 PM

I've a few mates in the marines and they reckon the BV 206 is Gods gift when they're on arctic training.

August 11-04-10 02:32 PM

I think drawing up a list of potential places to visit would be the first thing.

Lessee we have:

HMS Victory
Imperial War Museum
RAF museum (that has the Paratrooper museum too right?)

What else?

Herr-Berbunch 11-04-10 03:21 PM

Old Royal Naval College, HMS Belfast, D-Day Museum, RM Museum, Mary Rose, for the RAF Museum did you mean RAF Museum Hendon or Imperial War Museum Duxford? (Paratroop and Airborne Forces Museum is part of Duxford :D

August 11-04-10 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch (Post 1529239)
Old Royal Naval College, HMS Belfast, D-Day Museum, RM Museum, Mary Rose, for the RAF Museum did you mean RAF Museum Hendon or Imperial War Museum Duxford? (Paratroop and Airborne Forces Museum is part of Duxford :D

How long would it take to tour all that?

Jimbuna 11-04-10 07:42 PM

Probably 2-3 days.

August 11-04-10 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1529437)
Probably 2-3 days.

Just about right then. :DL