SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] Realistic Sinking Physics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118005)

tater 07-08-07 10:49 AM

yeah, I want nothing at all.

tater

Jungman 07-08-07 11:54 AM

Some more testing. What does the Crash Depth do? It is doubled for many ships. Is that the depth the 'big bang' occurs?

The BB is not changed and it will explode while going under water as it sinks.

The merchant has one set for 56 feet, so I see no big Hollywood explosion -until it is way underwater where you cannot see it.

Does the big bang only occur once the hitpoints reaches zero? That would come about from many torpedos, critical hit explosions. Maybe by having the Crash Depth back to normal that would also zero out the hitpoints and cause a big bang effect as it slips into the water? :hmm:

WernerSobe 07-08-07 12:56 PM

The new version is finished. I am still running testings on all ships and tieng everthing together. It is a complete rework and the damage system works entirely different way. There will no more hitpoints anymore. And ships will always sink in different ways. Sometimes in only 5 seconds when being ripped in two parts and sometimes several hours. No more instant kills. The crews will fight until the end and do their best to save their vessel even if it is only sticking out with the stern out of the water, you will score the kill once it is completely gone. No more explosions under water. Everything happens on surface. Chain reactions on decks are possible so the fire can catch on from one side of the ship to another and sink it. And many more. Heads up for release in an hour or two.

And there are no unsinkable shipss i promise. you wont ever need more then 5 torpedoes and that only when being very unlucky on large merchant. Most merchants will sink from one or two hits.

Jungman 07-08-07 01:42 PM

:rock: Wow, that sounds great! If you can pull that one off, your da Man!

602Sqn_Puff 07-08-07 02:06 PM

Can't wait..:)

WernerSobe 07-08-07 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerSobe
The crews will fight until the end and do their best to save their vessel even if it is only sticking out with the stern out of the water...

look at his. This vessel has been trying to escape like that for an hour. Then it finely stopped and i decided to surface and finish it off with the deck gun. Guess what? it rerturned fire at me: you can see the deckgun firing.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/988...6235674xm0.jpg

haegemon 07-08-07 03:03 PM

err.....well, I supose a ship in that state would be abandoned, no mater how much disciplined was the crew. I mean, if half-ship is underwater, there's no hope left.

WernerSobe 07-08-07 03:06 PM

thats what im talking about. The crew is acting smart now. When they see the ship is sticking out of water and does not sink any further they stay aboard and shoot back.

But on the other hand hting a small merchant with 3 torpedoes and making 3 huge holes in it making them leave much sooner before the ship is filled up to its masts. They know when its time to go... :-)

kakemann 07-08-07 03:09 PM

Looks promising! Will try it out. Thanks mate!

Uber Gruber 07-08-07 03:18 PM

Just played a war scenario with it and very much enjoyed the sinkings. Not sure why I now have green torp explosion effect but the yamamoto went down very realistically after 6 Torp hits.

loreed 07-08-07 03:22 PM

Target GUn Crews

I have noticed that all Target gun crews stay at their stations until the are in water up to about their waist, then they disappear.:yep:

WernerSobe 07-08-07 03:25 PM

no this ship was not a scored kill. It was still going on. It looks like its sinking but it has been sticking out of water like that for almost an hour. The deckguns even fired at me when i surfaced to finish it off.

ReallyDedPoet 07-08-07 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerSobe
thats what im talking about. The crew is acting smart now. When they see the ship is sticking out of water and does not sink any further they stay aboard and shoot back.

I had this effect the other night with Die Slowly, a larger tanker was listing quite bad, but still had lots of fight in it. Add in some heavy fog and rain and the patrol thus far has been excellent.

As mentioned, looking forward to tyring this one out as well.

RDP

WernerSobe 07-08-07 04:58 PM

new version released. Check the first page of that thread.

tater 07-08-07 10:54 PM

DLing now. What about armor, BTW?

tater