SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   US Politics Thread 2016-2020 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228628)

Armistead 08-04-20 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by u crank (Post 2687047)
Sorry but again you don't seem to grasp how the American system works. The President does not wield unlimited power. He is restrained by Congress and the Judicial system. The President cannot introduce and pass laws. Congress does that and it is elected, both Senators and House Reps. by popular vote. The people can decide if they want to check the President's power and they do quite regularly. Most mid term elections go against the White House.

By real results I assume that you mean the popular vote. That may work in some countries but in the USA that would mean a permanent Democratic White House. Would that be good for the country as a whole? I doubt it. In my life time Presidents usually get two terms and then the other party takes over. The only variation from that was Carter and Bush Sr. The people who complain the most are usually the people who didn't win. Hillary Clinton and her supporters and the Trump haters.

Real tyranny would be a country ruled by one political party.

Yes, an example, many minority districts have been carved out in states that once had no representation due to the popular vote. Many early pro arguments of carving out these districts was the premise of how the electoral vote ensures proper representation of all states.

skidman 08-04-20 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by u crank (Post 2687074)
Actually it works exactly as the founding fathers intended. The popuation and political leanings in America are not a secret. Large and very populated coastal regions in America are deep blue and have been for a while. If the Senate seats were allotted proportionally and the President was elected by popular vote Democrats and the left would realize their dream of permanent control of Washington. The current system of two Senate seats for each state and the Electoral College system prevents that.

"The president should represent the majority of square miles not the majority of people because this procedure helps to enforce my political opinion."

It doesn't get any weirder than this.

u crank 08-04-20 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidman (Post 2687114)
"The president should represent the majority of square miles not the majority of people because this procedure helps to enforce my political opinion."

It doesn't get any weirder than this.

Interesting thought but you like Skybird don't address the problematic situation that I have mentioned. That without the Electoral College and two Senators from each state one political party would dominate the US government. If you are in favor of that then be honest enough to say so. If you are not then what is your solution?

mapuc 08-04-20 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2687015)
@Marcus: both sides will have to accept the outcome of the election, and they will. It is all threatening the "enemy" and ape-like behaviour. Mud-slinging. Posing

I think you are 110 % correct. Both will accept the outcome of the election.

I can't imaging what would happen if one of them reject the election result
Politically and in the society if one of them loose.

Markus

Skybird 08-04-20 03:05 PM

Gerrymandering, anyone? ;) Look it up.

The final nail in every election's coffin.

You see, all these rules to me are just attempts to prevent obvious counting results. If the voting result leads to "majority tyrannizes minority", then the area for which the vote applies maybe is too big in adminstration and jurisdiction (and mind you, I follow Brennan and Hoppe in their criticism of states and modern democracies, so I hardly am suspicious to be in favour of big states). The ancient Greeks, whose state concept that they called "democracy" indeed was aristocratic), indeed knew the majority dominating the minority as one of their three basic models of "tyrannis". Their answere was, wanted or accidentally, to not let the plebs have anythign to say at all, only 5-15% of the aristocratic male, free, rich elites in a given city state were allowed to raise their voice in the assembly and to give their votes when an issue was to be decided by majority vote. The way we understand democracy today to be about general elections for each and everybody, and for societies iclduing millions and dozens and hundreds of millions, imo simply is dysfucntional from beginning on, and gets reinforced by the trend of just any "state" to always, inevitably, become more and more authoritarian. You cannot escape this.

Add to this that in this scenario of general elections for everybody, most voters do not form reasonable, altruistic decisons in full knowledge and competent understanding of all relevant financial, economical, sociological, educational and so forth facts, as it is implied, but highly irrational decisions, egoistic motives and habits and traditions. Thats why the whole show degenerates into that fiasco that election campaigns usually are, and whose phrase firing and word swinging is still one of the best arguments against elections alltogether.

But why do I type this, I have typed it so many times before. I say: don't vote, do not legitimate those of whom you must be expected by now to know that they are not worthy at all and will drive their power interests only and do that with your money and your hand's labour, and further I leave it now to referring once again to Jason Brennan, and Hans-Herrmann Hoppe.

Dowly 08-04-20 06:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaaTZkqsaxY

What an absolute idiot this man is... :doh:

Onkel Neal 08-04-20 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 2687178)

Yeah, true.

But still much better than the alternative :haha:

Catfish 08-05-20 02:26 AM

"I'm the only thing standing between you and the apocalypse."
Hillary Clinton, October 2016
:hmmm: :O:

Gerald 08-05-20 05:22 AM

Neil Young sues Donald Trump's campaign for using his songs

Quote:

Neil Young is suing Donald Trump's re-election campaign for repeatedly using his music without his permission.

The rock star says the US president breached copyright laws by playing his songs at political rallies and events.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53661683

This song title by Neil Young might fit into the context.
https://youtu.be/LDyTcDqW7kU

Jimbuna 08-05-20 05:30 AM

^ Political matters belong in the politics thread...merged.

ET2SN 08-05-20 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendor (Post 2687251)
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53661683

This song title by Neil Young might fit into the context.
https://youtu.be/LDyTcDqW7kU

On the back of that album:

"Lyndon Johnson bared his scars,
American Stars and Bars. "

:rock:

The Prez likes to hear "Rockin' in the Free World" at his rallys, he should listen to all the words to understand their context. :yep:

Gerald 08-05-20 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ET2SN (Post 2687311)
On the back of that album:

"Lyndon Johnson bared his scars,
American Stars and Bars. "

:rock:

The Prez likes to hear "Rockin' in the Free World" at his rallys, he should listen to all the words to understand their context. :yep:

I really agree with you! The record is good stuff. :yep:

Jimbuna 08-05-20 07:57 AM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaaTZkqsaxY

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2687204)
Yeah, true.

But still much better than the alternative :haha:

Really?

I found it quite entertaining :)

skidman 08-05-20 10:25 AM

Quote:

This must be an all-time mindfarts per minute record. Unbelievable.

Skybird 08-05-20 10:31 AM

Make embarassment grrreat again!

Gerald 08-05-20 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2687358)
Make embarassment grrreat again!

:har:

mapuc 08-05-20 11:18 AM

I must say it is hilarious in way.

While BBC Word News, our Danish News channel and most probably the Swedish News channel was broadcasting from Beirut-
CNN was covering.......Yes you got it..President Trump.

Made me laugh If the world should come to an end day after tomorrow
Every news channel will be broadcasting this. Except CNN.

Back to political discussion.

Markus

Gerald 08-05-20 11:28 AM

That CNN does not choose it is in my eyes not strange ... a channel that consists of a lot of left-wing people with rather skewed political messages and clear angles in political correctness.:haha:

Dowly 08-06-20 10:45 AM

New York Attorney General Moves To Dissolve The NRA After Fraud Investigation
https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/89971...=1596728352732
Quote:

The Attorney General of New York took action today to dissolve the National Rifle Association, following an 18-month investigation that found evidence the powerful gun rights group is "fraught with fraud and abuse."

Attorney General Letitia James claims in a lawsuit filed Thursday that she found financial misconduct in the millions of dollars, and that it contributed to a loss of more than $64 million over a three year period.
Good riddance :salute:

August 08-06-20 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by u crank (Post 2687074)
Actually it works exactly as the founding fathers intended. The popuation and political leanings in America are not a secret. Large and very populated coastal regions in America are deep blue and have been for a while. If the Senate seats were allotted proportionally and the President was elected by popular vote Democrats and the left would realize their dream of permanent control of Washington. The current system of two Senate seats for each state and the Electoral College system prevents that. I'm not going to explain it further. If you don't understand it or you don't agree with it so be it.

He knows very well that we are a Constitutional Republic made up (currently) of 50 states. He knows that the states elect the president, not the people directly and that this is by design so that a small group of states find it much more difficult to dominate the smaller ones. Call it a benefit of membership in the United STATES of America. A slightly more powerful voice for the small and a slightly tempered voice for the large.

It is apparently a concept that is quite alien (feindlich) to guys like him.