SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Your Ideal Doomsday Survival Situation/Prepper Thread (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=201465)

Onkel Neal 03-12-20 05:08 PM

Very nice. How deep is the well? Do you have a solar backup? :Kaleun_Wink: If so, you are set, sir.

mapuc 03-12-20 05:16 PM

The Danes went berserk after Danish prime minister gave order to shut down the official Denmark-Closing school, university and so on.

The news showed people going berserk in our supermarket.

They bought as you may have guessed - Toilet paper and other stuff like Pasta, canned tomatoes.

A majority of the thing they had bought was thing who need electricity to be cooked.

If our health authorities prediction comes true-about 10-15 of the Danish population will be infected by this virus.

This mean there is a very high chance for power cut for a shorter or longer period throughout or in parts of Denmark.
(Those who works at these powerplant can get infected too)

As I mentioned to some of my friend on FB.
They are for sure not genuin Preppers.

Markus

Skybird 03-12-20 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2654056)
If our health authorities prediction comes true-about 10-15 of the Danish population will be infected by this virus.

10 of 15 (=2/3s od the people), or 10-15%? No way you can get away with just 15% infection rate. No way.

mapuc 03-12-20 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2654058)
10 of 15 (=2/3s od the people), or 10-15%? No way you can get away with just 15% infection rate. No way.

can only reproduce what our health experts said on the news yesterday.
That they expect up to 10-15% of the Danish population to be infected with corona. based on the worst case scenario.
They also mentioned the figure 500,000 Danes in the same interview

Markus

nikimcbee 03-16-20 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Quatro (Post 2646394)
Two years later I needed my own advice: 12-16-2018 03:34 PM

Wut? No TP and hand sanitizer?:k_confused:

nikimcbee 03-16-20 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 2654053)
We have a dual filter system coming from our Arteisan well. A custom rube goldberg contraption installed by the previous owner when they switched from the 1970's vintage surface well. It costs me about 10 bucks a month to replace the filters which come conveniently in a two piece set. I can sometimes go two months before changing them if we don't use a lot of water but during the second month you really start to notice the restricted flow.

https://i.imgur.com/TbuR01o.jpg

Yes, but does it hold Crown Royal?

nikimcbee 03-16-20 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2581811)
During our latest secret society meeting at our secret underground bunker, the Z-Team and I were discussing the pros/cons of MREs and other stored food supplies.

"MREs are 'specially engineered to last years, supply nutrition, and work in SHTF situations."

"Yeah, but they're damned expensive."

"So? MRE's can withstand parachute drops of 1200 feet."

"......"

My proposal is to keep a few large caches of food supplies that are simply cans and sealed dry food goods in a few (2~5) storage totes.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...004-64_145.jpg

Simply fill the containers with canned food, such as
Spam.
Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, vegetables.
Protein or fruit bars.
Dry cereal or granola.
Peanut butter.
Dried fruit.
Canned juices.
Non-perishable pasteurized milk.
High energy foods.

Then use the food from one of the containers as everyday stores. When the container is empty, buy supplies and fill it back up, move it to the end, and start pulling supplies from the next container. This way you would use them gradually so they don't get old and keep an emergency supply at the same time. This would be way cheapers than MREs, and tastier, and you would always have a fresh supply of grub in case of hurricane, power grid failure, or alien invasion.

Don't forget to include a can opener.

That's a lot of fancy food...Hard tack FTW, keeps forever.:Kaleun_Cheers:

Onkel Neal 03-16-20 09:54 AM

How much hard tack do you have on hand right now?:03:

Aktungbby 03-16-20 11:03 AM

/\ HARDTACK!:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:was a staple of my civil-war re-enacting existance. 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, 4" squares, properly decorated with 9 skewer holes... bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 10 in the haversack with wife's fabulous three bean stew in a castiron iron pot-enough for the squad- was enough for a long weekend backcountry engagement!:yep:

Rockstar 03-16-20 11:16 AM

Red beans and rice with peppers, spices and sausage goes a long way. I got lots of dry beans (great northern, red, and navy beans), rice and grains. Still canning chuck roast, beef stew, chicken soup, asparagus, celery, beans, carrots, oh and my favorite pickled beets baby! One plus to canning is you dont have to go to a crowded grocery store often. Just find a less traveled farmers market and pick up a crap ton of fresh fruit and veggies to preserve.

Get several pounds of your favorite flour and a bread maker, or not, and make your own bread instead going every week to the store.

Red October1984 03-16-20 12:22 PM

Well I can see this thread has revived quite nicely.

Recently set up my grocery stockpile for two weeks of groceries and have another week's worth of food packed up in a "bugout bag" of sorts. From where I live now, I can make a walk to the family home in 3-4 days at the most if I absolutely had to.

Hoping it doesn't come to that, but I've got food, water, medical supplies, VHF/UHF radio, propane stove, tent, etc all packed up with my plate carrier and rifle. I'm not going to be caught out if I do have to skip town for whatever reason. :ping:

Onkel Neal 03-16-20 01:36 PM

Welcome back just in time for the Apocalypse (just kidding).

I doubt it will come to having to bug out, it's not that kind of apocalypse.

One thing no one ever mentions is having some emergency funds set aside for bills in these situations. Everyone is screaming "who is going to pay my bills if everything shuts down!"

I guess they can change it to Coronavirus...?

Skybird 03-16-20 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 2654828)
Well I can see this thread has revived quite nicely.

Recently set up my grocery stockpile for two weeks of groceries and have another week's worth of food packed up in a "bugout bag" of sorts. From where I live now, I can make a walk to the family home in 3-4 days at the most if I absolutely had to.

Hoping it doesn't come to that, but I've got food, water, medical supplies, VHF/UHF radio, propane stove, tent, etc all packed up with my plate carrier and rifle. I'm not going to be caught out if I do have to skip town for whatever reason. :ping:

Damn, how much I wish I had that rifle. :D My bugout pack contains two NRG-5 packs, however. Lacks fantasy, but keeps your engine running.

I assume once things have degenerated to a level where they declared 24/7 curfew for the next 6 months, we will see videos in this thread popping up like mushrooms where lethaly bored people film and photograph their bugout packs and explain them and present the content in detail. :D

Mr Quatro 03-16-20 03:42 PM

Just tried this one minute mac and cheese not bad a little thick on the sauce
but you can add beans or something to it.
Don't use it in the little container it comes in put it in a bowl.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/831...0&odnBg=ffffff

The nice thing I like is the expiration date of 9-8-21

(6 pack) Hormel Compleats Macaroni & Cheese, 7.5 Ounce

Hormel

$11.88

Out of stock

ET2SN 03-16-20 03:59 PM

I told you they were painless. :yep:
Not the world's greatest meal but the shelf life is impressive for what they are, factor in cost and minimal prep time/hassles and they start to make sense.

Try the chili with beans. :yeah: Throw in some hot sauce (Tabasco and/or Pick-a-pepper) and some corn chips and that's basically dinner. :D

The only meals I would avoid are anything with mashed potatoes. :timeout:

August 03-16-20 04:08 PM

I love mashed potatoes, with garlic and butter. Mmmm mmmm!

mapuc 03-16-20 04:15 PM

It could be I really do not exactly understand the fully meaning of Preppers

This is because I read stuff like I/we have enough food and water for x years.

If I was a Prepper I would do it as I was expecting the worse =nuclear holocaust.

Which mean there will never be any society after and no supply of food the rest of my or our life.

But what do I know.

Markus

em2nought 03-16-20 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2654901)
If I was a Prepper I would do it as I was expecting the worse =nuclear holocaust.

Which mean there will never be any society after and no supply of food the rest of my or our life.

But what do I know.

Markus

There are some people who have purchased old missile silos and are ready for that, but I just prep for hurricane season, and now "this". LOL

So Tylenol has gone on the prepper list, it's going to be the next hoarded item after TP and hand sanitizer.

My favorite prepper meal would be a can of Campbell's Chili Mac Chunky Soup mixed with two cans of no salt dark red kidney beans, and some sriracha ketchup.

Red October1984 03-16-20 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2654855)
Welcome back just in time for the Apocalypse (just kidding).

I doubt it will come to having to bug out, it's not that kind of apocalypse.

It's certainly not that sort of situation. The chance is extremely low, however, it is never zero.

I've been involved in First Responder/SAR/CERT type stuff for several years so it's kind of a fun exercise to get my stuff together and pack the bags should they ever be needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2654877)
Damn, how much I wish I had that rifle. :D My bugout pack contains two NRG-5 packs, however. Lacks fantasy, but keeps your engine running.

Well, if you can get your hands on the forbidden East German MPi-AK-74N kits and mail it to me piece by piece...let me know and you can take my Romanian 74 in a trade lol.

I had to google what the NRG-5's are, and, I gotta say.....If those are anything like the vacuum sealed "emergency ration" blocks that are available in the states....may God have mercy on your soul. You might enjoy eating chalk more. :haha: But man, it's certainly got everything you'll need.

Quote:

I assume once things have degenerated to a level where they declared 24/7 curfew for the next 6 months, we will see videos in this thread popping up like mushrooms where lethaly bored people film and photograph their bugout packs and explain them and present the content in detail. :D
I mean.....if.....you want me to..... :03:

EDIT for Skybird: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=377

em2nought 03-16-20 04:46 PM

I should probably buy some 450 bushmaster ammo to deal with any big suckers, I'm good on 7.62x39 and .45 ACP. :03: