SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL] SH 5 Lifeboats (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=183381)

SteelViking 05-15-11 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith (Post 1664776)
The only advantage I see to leaving them as .tga is so that users who can't make .dds files can still make .tga files for them. Trying to cater to the broadest range of users is why I left them as .tga.

Anyone who can make .tga files can make .dds files. If they can't, as in they don't have the right GIMP plug in, they can ask me for it, I will give it to them.

Edit: I really think we need to strive to clean up our mods, that is make them as stable as possible. Leaving loose ends like file extensions that are not correct seems like an unnecessary risk. But, I don't wish to argue, if this how everyone wants them left, so be it.

Rongel 05-16-11 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelViking (Post 1664744)
Hey Rongel, I just got done changing this for Zedi's Campaign files, and I got a hunch that maybe the lifeboats had the same thing going on. The .cfg files in the Sea folder is pointing to a .tga for the texture, but the texture you have included in the mod is a .dds. Now, everything still works in game with this setup, but I wonder if we shouldn't go ahead and change it to .dds.

Like I said, I made this change in Zedi's campaign files, and I did not see a difference. But, I would think things might run smoother if we were in fact pointing to the correct texture file.

Just thought I would give you a heads up on this comrade.
:salute:

Hey! I have been wondering this too, why the config files have .tga instead of .dds. But this is something that even stock SH 5 ships have, for example if we look inside Cimmaron tanker's roster cfg-file there reads: LightmapTextureName=data/Sea/NOL_T3Cimmaron/NOL_T03_O01.tga

So the lifeboats have also the stock .tga file reference. Didn't change it because everything works, even if it's a bit weird.

reaper7 05-16-11 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rongel (Post 1664805)
Hey! I have been wondering this too, why the config files have .tga instead of .dds. But this is something that even stock SH 5 ships have, for example if we look inside Cimmaron tanker's roster cfg-file there reads: LightmapTextureName=data/Sea/NOL_T3Cimmaron/NOL_T03_O01.tga

So the lifeboats have also the stock .tga file reference. Didn't change it because everything works, even if it's a bit weird.

The ships don't use the image paths in the cfg files so that extension is not called LightmapTextureName=data/Sea/NOL_T3Cimmaron/NOL_T03_O01.tg.
All the ship textures are in the texture folder :yep:

The actual image is embedded in the GR2 file and needs to be changed by hex to point to a different image.

Rongel 05-16-11 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper7 (Post 1664810)
The ships don't use the image paths in the cfg files so that extension is not called LightmapTextureName=data/Sea/NOL_T3Cimmaron/NOL_T03_O01.tg.

The actual image is embedded in the GR2 file and needs to be changed by hex to point to a different image.

Hmm.. I know that the actual image is out of reach (so to say), but are the textures using different names? Because I can't find for example the Cimmaron occlusion map in textures folder or my lifeboat texture barca_pneumatica. The only place I have seen the ship textures is in the ship folder. Now i'm curious. :06:

SteelViking 05-16-11 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper7 (Post 1664810)

Aha, okay Reaper, thanks for clearing that up.:up: See, I knew that the interior of the sub works like you are saying here, because that is how I assigned different textures to different rooms, was hexing the .GR2. But, I don't have enough experience with the ships yet, didn't know what was going on with the configs.
:salute:

reaper7 05-16-11 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rongel (Post 1664819)
Hmm.. I know that the actual image is out of reach (so to say), but are the textures using different names? Because I can't find for example the Cimmaron occlusion map in textures folder or my lifeboat texture barca_pneumatica. The only place I have seen the ship textures is in the ship folder. Now i'm curious. :06:

Ah sorry Rongel - I thought you were referencing to the Base Texture.
This is indeed in the Texture Folder and is called via the GR2 file for that ship - this can be hex edited to point to a new texture.

The Ambient Occlusion map is in each ship folder and is used in-game to apply camo effects etc - cheap Dev trick rather than do proper multi skin textures. This can be assigned by the cfg file to point to another texture (Just remember this is applied like a shadow over the existing Texture so you can never paint white on top of the original texture (It just creates darker shades
of the existing texture).

Now a little trick can be used if you want to use the Ambient Occlusion map to paint proper textures.
That is to Hex Edit the GR2 to point to a texture of your own that is just painted completely white. Now you can paint the AO texture how ever you like and it will appear in full colour on your Ship ;)

See here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=30

Rongel 05-17-11 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper7 (Post 1665197)
Ah sorry Rongel - I thought you were referencing to the Base Texture.
This is indeed in the Texture Folder and is called via the GR2 file for that ship - this can be hex edited to point to a new texture.

The Ambient Occlusion map is in each ship folder and is used in-game to apply camo effects etc - cheap Dev trick rather than do proper multi skin textures. This can be assigned by the cfg file to point to another texture (Just remember this is applied like a shadow over the existing Texture so you can never paint white on top of the original texture (It just creates darker shades
of the existing texture).

Now a little trick can be used if you want to use the Ambient Occlusion map to paint proper textures.
That is to Hex Edit the GR2 to point to a texture of your own that is just painted completely white. Now you can paint the AO texture how ever you like and it will appear in full colour on your Ship ;)

See here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=30

Thanks for the tip, nice tutorial! :up:

Luckily with the SH 4 ships we have been working with, we get all the textures (no embedded stuff) and it's easy to modify, well If only things that looked good in SH 4 would look good in SH 5...

coronas 05-17-11 01:33 PM

I found this tutorial http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1398 for AoEIII. It could be usefull.

Stormfly 05-17-11 09:24 PM

just did an "old shool" night surface attack, after getting clother to the burning wreck, crying survivors mixed together with moderate/heavy sea and sound of the burning wreck... hard to spot a liveboat in this conditions but their silhouettes became slowly visible infront of the fire while slowly heading in that direction where they shout from.

all this togehter with its fine sounds is a real immersion boost, escpecially if more than 1 lifeboat is in range :up:

Rongel 05-18-11 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coronas (Post 1665714)
I found this tutorial http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1398 for AoEIII. It could be usefull.

Thanks! It might be that some more skilled modder could find it more useful than me, so please have a look everyone!

Quote:

just did an "old shool" night surface attack, after getting clother to the burning wreck, crying survivors mixed together with moderate/heavy sea and sound of the burning wreck... hard to spot a liveboat in this conditions but their silhouettes became slowly visible infront of the fire while slowly heading in that direction where they shout from.

all this togehter with its fine sounds is a real immersion boost, escpecially if more than 1 liveboat is in range :up:
Really nice to hear that! :DL SH 4 had suprisingly much of these small nice details: two different lifeboats, parachuting airplane pilot that you could pick up from the water and gain renow... I think we need this stuff too!

zachanscom 07-03-11 11:35 PM

wow even lifeboats needed to be modded on? *facepalm*

Yoram777 07-04-11 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rongel (Post 1658767)
This mod shouldn't overwrite any other mod. Optional soundmod however overwrites Sh.sdl file. Test mission is included in the mod.

Is this mod not compatible with Magnum Opus?
because it overwrites rosters

Targor Avelany 07-04-11 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoram777 (Post 1697583)
Is this mod not compatible with Magnum Opus?
because it overwrites rosters

yes. Install after MO.

ustahl 07-15-11 06:18 PM

Survivor nationality

Hi,
I haven't read this whole thread through, so I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but:
I just sank a small British flag freighter, and looking close at the surviving crew members on a raft, most of them have shirts with the German eagle emblem on the right side of their chest. This can't be right.:06::-?
The survivors of a sunk British ship surely cannot all be German POWs?:88)

Rongel, can this be fixed? After all, the targets we try to sink in SH5 are allied nationalities, whose crew are not carrying German clothing/emblems.

Apart from this the mod seems to work nicely, incl. the sounds.:up:

oscar19681 09-23-11 06:40 AM

It seems that it overwrite some Magnum opus files could this become a problem?