SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   [REL] Solution Solver 1.3 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156698)

gutted 10-04-09 04:15 PM

i recorded a new tutorial showing a complete attack from first sighting to to target destruction. shows how to use the wheel to position yourself, and how to use the speed solver etc.

The attack was done purely visually. ie. no map plotting or ranging were done.

might be a day or so before its on youtube. i need to do some things to it first.

gutted 10-04-09 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm goin' down (Post 1183308)
I am sold. I will use it in lieu of Easy AoB until I have it down cold. A nice piece of work, although mastering the wheel for some of us can be a challenge.

congrats, but dont box yourself into one way of doing things.

my personal method is to use the AoB wheel to position myself, and then switch to the position keeper when im close range and in a good position for the actual firing.. because it allows me to keep turning/manuevering and i can target more than one ship pretty easily.

but to each their own.

I'm goin' down 10-04-09 11:48 PM

???

I lined up for a shot at an angle. The target changed course and moved inside the tracking course, closer to Own Ship, but on a roughly parallel course to the tracking course. So I had adequate distance to fire torpedoes, I put Own Ship in reverse. I assume Own Ship not change course when in reverse. I missed the shots. Was Own Ship off course as a result of moving in reverse or as a resiult of moving away from the original course line?

I'm goin' down 10-05-09 06:35 PM

closing on target

When you hit the + key to turn your Own Ship perpendicular to the target's course, does the perpendicular angle change if you continue ahead at the same bearing? Assume you are perpendicular to the target's course after hitting the + key. If you stay on the same heading and travel 750 yds. do you need to input a new solution? Or hit the + button and reset the perpendicular angle.

Also, when the target crosses the wire, it sometimes crosses it at a different angle than the firing angle. Eg. the target's bow crosses at 351 degrees (the radarman announces 351 degrees) but the solution says 353 degrees. When do I fire?

I have got the technique down, but I am still missing shots be a few yards aft or stern. I am finding it not as reliable as the Easy AoB mod, but I may be screwing up.

magic452 10-06-09 03:24 AM

In your post #63 range doesn't figure into the solution at all so moving backwards, forward or not at all should not affect your shot. Just shoot when the target crosses your shooting bearing (lead angle).
If your moving and hit the +/= key and the scope is anywere but 0° your boat will turn.

As long as your on the original "own ship" course line, range is no factor if more than 500 yd and less than the range of the torpedo. If you missed your boat may have been turning?????
If the target is off it's course line a little but parallel you should still hit, because range is not a factor.

The sound man's call of bearing is to MOT not the bow so it will be off and at close range could be 2 or 3°, also there is a lag time for the call to be made, this makes sound only shots more difficult. If the solution says 353° than that is where you point the scope and shoot at the part of the target you want to hit.

If you are missing it could well be that the target has seen the wakes and changed speed. With this or any shooting solution conditions play a big part, Clear sky and calm seas and even range effect every shot and must be taken into account.

Don't be too concerned about the angle you approach the target course line, it can be any angle you want 90, 75, or less(Cromwell is 45°). I use an angle of 60 to 70°. 90° gives you a little bit bigger target to shoot at nothing more.

Once I have a target course line, I pick a point on that line and use the nav. map way point plotting tool to set my approach angle. Put a way point right on the target course line and that is where you torpedos will impact the target, your boat can be anywere on that line within range of the torpedo.

If I'm not sure about the exact angle I measure it with the protractor tool and adjust the way point till I get the desired AoB, that's AoB of the torpedo at impact. Once you have stabilized on that heading or course line you than can hit the +/= key to get your heading number (point the scope to 0° first) to enter into the solution tool. That is more accurate than trying to read it off the compass.

One good thing about using a way point is even if you are moving you will stay on the same course unless YOU change it.

This tool is nothing more than a simple and more accurate way to set up a vector analysis attack. No drawing of triangles etc.
It is very good for shooting at two targets using high and low speed torpedos.

IGD Try this: (best done under low visibility conditions or short range)
1) find a target and get it's speed and course line.
2) Put a way point on the target course line as I described above at a 65° AoB. And get within any range you wish to shoot at.
3) The target speed will equal your lead angle (shooting bearing.)
if you are shooting Mk.14 on high speed.
Ex: a 9k speed will = 9° lead angle for Mk.14 on high speed.
4) while you are waiting for the target set up your torpedos to
high speed, contact and 10 or so feet deep. Open the doors.
and be sure the PK is set to 0 speed, 0 AoB and 0 bearing.
a zero gyro angle shot. Do not turn the PK on.
5) Point the scope to 9° if the target is approaching from your right
351° if from the left.
6) Do nothing else!!!!! Except save the game.
7) Shoot as the fat parts cross the wire.
IF the target stays on the same course and speed you will hit it.
If the target changes speed or turns you may miss, this is true of any type firing solution.

Load up the save
input the target course heading (measure with the compase rose)
Input your course heading using the +/= key.
Input the target and torpedo speed . 9K and 46K
The solutiton will be almost exactly 9° or 351° If it's more than a half a degree off you did something wrong.

Target speed is the most critical data point, if the target course line or
your approach angle is a little off you will still hit. Target speed must be very close. That's one problem with the tool it only uses whole knots. Many ships in TMO travle at less than whole knots and at very long range it will make a differance.

Kind of a long winded answer, sorry if I got carried away. :hmmm:

Magic

gutted 10-07-09 05:33 AM

1.3 is pretty much finished.

Has the new "Live" 3D Periscope View feature i talked about + improved dial responsiveness. I think you'll really enjoy these features.

Just need to create an installer for it, and i'll upload it.

ETA... soon.

irish1958 10-07-09 07:12 AM

And a new Video? Showing the actual use via video sold me on the concept.
"Keep up the good work" (BDU)

gutted 10-07-09 07:44 AM

version 1.3 is up.

See the first post.

Decided not to make an installer for it yet.. i'll wait till i have proper documentation.

gutted 10-07-09 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish1958 (Post 1185238)
And a new Video? Showing the actual use via video sold me on the concept.
"Keep up the good work" (BDU)

i've got the video of a full 25 minute visual attack recorded.. just having issues with importing the clips into movie maker to splice them together.

it shows me using the program to complete an entire attack without ever plotting anything on the map or using any in-game stadimter or TDC controls.

i may just end up uploading them to youtube as a 6 part series.

gutted 10-07-09 07:57 AM

meh.. found one bug already (a logic glitch i missed).

When you turn on the Periscope View's Digital AoB readout. It wont actually start showing it until the AoB changes.

Added to my to-do list.

please post any bugs or logic boo boo's you come across.

Hitman 10-07-09 11:55 AM

I like very much the new periscope viewer, it is an invaluable tool for learning to estimate the AOB!!!

Would you consider adding to it a function of zoom in/out to represent distance estimation by naked eye (When comparing to the lense field of view) and some more ships to choose from? (Small, medium, large and very large for both merchant and warships, i.e. 75/100/150/200 metres long merchants or tankers and a corvette, a destroyer, a cruiser, and a warship)

Or even better, release it separatedly as an AOB and distance estimation training device. That would be AWESOME, and also replicate a tool that certainly existed in the U-Boat academy!

FIREWALL 10-07-09 12:32 PM

@ Hitman I love that black U-boot one.

Can you make a download of all shown versions please so I can make my own ?

Thx in advance Firewall :salute:

@ Gutted Thx as well. :salute:

bump

Rockin Robbins 10-07-09 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutted (Post 1185257)
i've got the video of a full 25 minute visual attack recorded.. just having issues with importing the clips into movie maker to splice them together.

it shows me using the program to complete an entire attack without ever plotting anything on the map or using any in-game stadimter or TDC controls.

i may just end up uploading them to youtube as a 6 part series.

Please link the things to the Sub Skippers' Bag of Tricks thread. If you have trouble splicing them, I may ask your permission to do so myself with Any Video Converter, which does a seamless job of transcoding and splicing at the same time. Heck, I may just as well just suggest that you try that free program. Why don't you Google "Any Video Converter" and...:har:

gutted 10-07-09 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman (Post 1185380)
I like very much the new periscope viewer, it is an invaluable tool for learning to estimate the AOB!!!

Would you consider adding to it a function of zoom in/out to represent distance estimation by naked eye (When comparing to the lense field of view) and some more ships to choose from? (Small, medium, large and very large for both merchant and warships, i.e. 75/100/150/200 metres long merchants or tankers and a corvette, a destroyer, a cruiser, and a warship)

Or even better, release it separatedly as an AOB and distance estimation training device. That would be AWESOME, and also replicate a tool that certainly existed in the U-Boat academy!

Everything you just said.. to a T.. is what my final vision for the periscope view was.

This was the first step.

The end goal is to be able to place the ship in the periscope view at the right distance using some tick marks, to get a range to the intercept point (and ofcourse a range to the target itself).

I wanted this because right now i have to have atleast one initial plot on the map if i want to know when i will be in fast torpedo range. From the inintial plot and the course i get from the wheel, i can easily draw out the targets course and see when im in fast torpedo range..

but if i could just place the virtual ship at the right distance in the periscope view and have it tell me the distance from the intercept (where our two ships meet)... that would rawk hard!!

right now you can move it further or closer using the mouse wheel.. but it does nothing special yet.

don't forget there's a right click menu in that view as well. The "Lock Rotation" option is there so that you dont accidently rotate the ship in the periscope view once you get his course nailed down in the AoB Finder. It will only rotate when you move the actual dial with that setting on.

gutted 10-07-09 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 1185404)
Please link the things to the Sub Skippers' Bag of Tricks thread. If you have trouble splicing them, I may ask your permission to do so myself with Any Video Converter, which does a seamless job of transcoding and splicing at the same time. Heck, I may just as well just suggest that you try that free program. Why don't you Google "Any Video Converter" and...:har:

will do, right now though.. im working on the "Formal" documentation of the tool. With pictures and things hehe.

Also adding a general purpose speed/distance/time calculator.

my plate is abit full. haven't been playing lately :(

Oh.. and i changed that nagging top dial. I think it was too confusing for people.

The black arrow pointing at the middle dial was the first to go. And the graphic of a sub was replaced by a merchant. I think an inexperienced person might mistake that sub for himself.

the next version will be a more incremental update. (say 1.3.1).

anyway, as for features... im all ears.