SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Trouble installing SH3 and SH4 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=236991)

IRISH4Life 04-06-18 11:01 PM

Installing Games SHIV

1 Attachment(s)
TO THOSE OUT THERE,

Listen I AM NO EXPERT and I am re learning how to do this as I have not played this game, modded or installed since 2007. My kids were involved in sports and I had no time to play with games. But now as an empty nester I can waste nearly as much time as I want, enjoying the South sea watching a sunset from the conning tower of a the USS Picuda SS382 (sister boat to the SS383 Papanito)- The Picuda was kept in the Atlantic likely based out of Key West when the photo attached was taken.

THEBERBSTER 04-07-18 04:57 AM

Hi Mile
You need to install the Large Address Aware (LAA) application for SH4.
Where as you use the 4gb patch for SH3, SH4 uses LAA which will use some of your existing ram to the game.
Post #13 Large Adress Aware (LAA) Easy Install
Large Address Aware (LAA) > Download Link < Essential Application for SH4
The install procedure for SH4 is basically the same as SH3 with starting the stock game to the Naval Academy to build your save game folder IIRC.
SH3-4-5 are all totally independent of each other.

It would also be easier for us if you kept SH3 and 4 each to their own posts when discussing.
Peter

IRISH4Life 04-07-18 08:33 PM

DO I need it if I have a 64 Bit system?

Do I need that fix if I have Windows 7 64 bit system? It says that it is for the 32 bit system?

Mike

THEBERBSTER 04-08-18 12:17 PM

Hi Mike
All silent hunter games are 32 bit.
The LAA Subsim download explains how it uses the ram.
More information here.
Large Address Aware (LAA) Installation Instructions For Windows 10 By CapnScurvy < Essential Application For SH4

Peter

IRISH4Life 04-08-18 01:34 PM

32 bit Large Address vs 64 bit

Gottcha, makes sense. I will add it following the directions. There is alot of issue with 32 and 64 bit Windows programs and their patches, I did not want to make a mistake.

I thought that the SHIV was an ADDON to SHIII all these years. LOL.

Thanks,

Mike

IRISH4Life 04-08-18 03:41 PM

OK

I have the regular un-modded game installed and it runs fine. I have also added the 32 bit fix as suggested and selected the exe file and it is listed as true. Ran the game with only the Fleetboat 2.0 loaded using JGSME. and it stops at the load screen where it shows the fleetboat, with the red/maroon load bar. Its is completely loaded but will go no further. Any suggestions?

aanker 04-08-18 07:39 PM

For SH4 you didn't need to install patch v1.1, v1.2, or v1.3. Once SH4 v1.0 installed, after a reboot you could have gone directly to patch v1.4, then rebooted again, and installed the v1.5 U-Boat addon.

After installing a large piece of software like SH4 I like to reboot to clear the memory of bits & pieces that may linger around before adding large patches like v1.4, and then the v1.5 U-Boat addon which is also very large, however you said SH4 started fine.

I would have rebooted before installing RFB; Real Fleet Boat 2.0
Your "fleetboat" is RFB, right? or is it a different mod?

There are 2 RFB versions/patches - one has the RFB mod with the patch included in the RFB install uploaded by Rockin Robbins, and this first one uploaded by LukeFF that goes on top of a regular Real Fleet Boat 2.0 install:
Patch for Real Fleet Boat 2.0. It is:
RFB 2.0 Patch (23 April 2010) (48.30 MB)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2774

Maybe you got the version of RFB with the patch included:
Real Fleet Boat 2.0 with Patch Included (718.3 KB)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4798

If Real Fleet Boat won't load maybe LAA isn't set right or you used the wrong patch.

Rockin Robbins explained how to set up multiple installs of SH4 with LAA in those three videos. The procedure is the same even if he was using Linux instead of Win 7.

Good luck.

IRISH4Life 04-09-18 02:09 PM

SHIV.... I'm pulling my hair out... Wait.. I Dont have any.

OK,

AAnker and the Berbster, You guys are right to ask me all of those things, but

I did do the reboots, and the patches,-straight to 1.4. and tried it all, rollback, Fleetboat 2.0, TMO, The Berbsters beginner mod, my old mods, Fleetboat 1.4 and on and on. Added the Multi SH4, Added LAA, Added JGSME, Created a file for each version with an original copy in each. Every original copy works, starts fine and runs. Then I add the mod using JGSME, and it starts, runs through the start up screen and stops before the main game choice screen (now it goes to the main game choice screen as long as JGSME being used for mods), Tried the rollback, tried the compatability fixes, etc etc. Realized I had not installed 1.5 but now 1.5 wont install correctly because of all the other stuff in the mix. 10 years ago when I was playing this and modding this regularly, I knew all of this stuff, some of it has changed some has not. SO I DELETED THE WHOLE KIT AND KIBOODLE. Starting over. and will follow planned install. Also, I thought all of these years SHIV was an Add on to SHIII. SO that was news to me. LOL. I am just re installing everything hopefully correctly. LOL I will let you know the results. Starting the process NOW!!!!!!!!.

IRISH4Life 04-09-18 05:28 PM

Still looking for Hair

SHIV Install (if I did it correctly).

1) Defragged the Computer.

2) Did a registry clean using CCCLeaner.

3) Restarted the system.

4) Installed SHIV.

5) Restarted the system.

6) Ran the 1.4 patch (good install NO ERRORS).

7) Restarted the system.

8) Created 5 Files:

E:\\UBISoft\WolvesofThePacific
\WolvesofThePacific1.4 Beginner
\WolvesofThePacific1.4 TMO
\WolvesofThePacific1.4 RSRDM
\WolvesofThePacific 1.4 PATCHED
\WolvesofThePacific1.4 PATCHED DNC

Each file got their own perfect copy of Patched 1.4 from the original copy.
Each file then received their own JGSME (ran a snapshot from task list).
Each file then received their own Multi-SHIV(changed the names to the 3 letter name).
Each file then received their own Large Address file. (Updated the exe file).

9) Restarted the system.

10) ran the 1.5 patch (error on the install but it said rerun, I did and there were no errors).

11) Restarted the system.

12) Ran the game and it ran fine (NOTE: Still have not added any MODS).

12) Created 5 More files:

E:\\UBISoft\WolvesofThePacific (original patched 1.5)
\WolvesofThePacific1.5 Beginner
\WolvesofThePacific1.5 TMO
\WolvesofThePacific1.5 RSRDM
\WolvesofThePacific 1.5 PATCHED
\WolvesofThePacific1.5 PATCHED DNC

Each file got their own perfect copy of Patched 1.5 from the original copy.
Each file then received their own JGSME (ran a snapshot from tasklist).
Each file then received their own Multi-SHIV(changed each copy to the new 3 letter name).
Each file then received their own Large Address file. (updated the exe file).

Adding Mods Now!

IRISH4Life 04-09-18 11:12 PM

LOOKING FOR GOOD FREE CAMERA (similar to SHIII)

The Load plan worked perfectly!

I am now looking for the best camera that can fly around like the one on SHIII allowing me to submerge, keep an eye on where I am located (the little orange cross on top of the water) or not. But most of the fly around cameras are slooooooooowwwwwwww and don't separate like SHIIIs camera where you can fly ahead and watch the boat sail by easily.

Running Fleetboat 2.5 for the moment, With some other simple additions. But I really need a good camera. I will not put it past me that I am doing something WRONG with the camera. I am using the arrow keys, but nothing makes them work better.

Thanks,

Mike

aanker 04-10-18 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISH4Life (Post 2548798)
The Load plan worked perfectly!

I am now looking for the best camera that can fly around like the one on SHIII allowing me to submerge, keep an eye on where I am located (the little orange cross on top of the water) or not. But most of the fly around cameras are slooooooooowwwwwwww and don't separate like SHIIIs camera where you can fly ahead and watch the boat sail by easily.

Running Fleetboat 2.5 for the moment, With some other simple additions. But I really need a good camera. I will not put it past me that I am doing something WRONG with the camera. I am using the arrow keys, but nothing makes them work better.

Thanks,

Mike

Good, you're up and running. I'm going to say that there are several good Camera mods, each are unique (like different flavors), but they may not be compatible with the mega mod you are using.

The Cameras.dat file controls so many factors in various views. Most are compatible with the Stock un-modded game only, and some of them have been adapted to work with specific mega-mods.

Sometimes there is a modifier key combination that will get the camera to move fast, like in Stock. Usually there is a Support folder with documentation about the mod that may list the key combinations to make the camera move fast. Try the Stock key combination first if they don't.

You're going to have to Search in the Downloads to find one compatible with the specific mod you are using.

The mod maker designed their mod to be used the way they thought best. Why not experience the mod the way it was made? Read the documentation, 100's if not 1,000's of hours, even years went into creating mods like the mods you have selected.

I recommend you try it their way first, you will get familiar with it. You worked so hard to set up your installs. Swapping out Cameras.dat will change the whole mod and how and what you see in many different stations.

Happy Hunting!

Niume 04-10-18 01:39 PM

I don;t want to start a fresh thread so I will post here

I installed a third type of sh3 specificly for WAC 5.0 black sea campaing(beta tetsting) and after I installed mods all my saves and campaing couldint star just CTD then black screen Initialising. any ideas I had diffrent save game location for the normal wac 5

THEBERBSTER 04-10-18 05:32 PM

Hi N
SH3 needs the 4gb patch in each installation, did your remember to install it?
Did you run Windows 10 in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and run your applications as administrators?
Another option is tick DPI High scaling in compatibility.
CTD is usually a compatibility issue when loading the game.
Black screen is usually a driver issue, gpu scaling, asprct ratio setting.
Peter

IRISH4Life 04-10-18 07:51 PM

Or missed a patch

I didn't add the 1.5 patch for SHIV and I got a no load on the screen. I upgraded from 1.4 to 1.5 which made it so all of the mods I was adding that only works in 1.5 actually worked. ( I added the LAA File The Berbster is telling you about too).

Niume 04-11-18 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2548899)
Hi N
SH3 needs the 4gb patch in each installation, did your remember to install it?
Did you run Windows 10 in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and run your applications as administrators?
Another option is tick DPI High scaling in compatibility.
CTD is usually a compatibility issue when loading the game.
Black screen is usually a driver issue, gpu scaling, asprct ratio setting.
Peter

Probably will just uninstall the sh 3 completly and all the document files too