SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Worst Sub movie ever created. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195539)

Red October1984 09-12-12 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai (Post 1933350)
And I thought that one game that had USAF enlisted ranks painted on nuclear submarines was bad.

Naval Assault: The Killing Tide is the one you're looking for. I bought it, almost threw my xbox out the window. It was promptly returned to the store.

Terrible game. :nope:

Kaye T. Bai 09-12-12 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 1933491)
Naval Assault: The Killing Tide is the one you're looking for. I bought it, almost threw my xbox out the window. It was promptly returned to the store.

Yeah, that's the one. Hilariously bad. :haha:

Red October1984 09-12-12 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai (Post 1933517)
Yeah, that's the one. Hilariously bad. :haha:

You don't know the half of it. I wouldn't get it again if somebody paid me.

Kaye T. Bai 09-13-12 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 1933542)
You don't know the half of it. I wouldn't get it again if somebody paid me.

It's an insult to the submarine community. :salute:

Platapus 09-17-12 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 1933395)

The story of the LTC Gerber´s boat is based on the true story of Wolfgang Hirschfeld´s book "U-boat Diary" although much dramatized.

I wonder why they did not just call it the U-234 and use Johann-Heinrich Fehler's name as the Captain?

bill clarke 09-19-12 04:28 AM

Anyone ever watch Destination Tokyo with Cary Grant as the sub skipper ?

At the conclusion of the movie he torpedoes a Jap carrier, none other that a 1930 version of Akagi, with 3 decks.

Then on the way home assists with a apendectomy on a sick sailor.

But I love those old flicks. :D

TLAM Strike 09-19-12 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill clarke (Post 1936217)
Anyone ever watch Destination Tokyo with Cary Grant as the sub skipper ?

At the conclusion of the movie he torpedoes a Jap carrier, none other that a 1930 version of Akagi, with 3 decks.

Then on the way home assists with a apendectomy on a sick sailor.

But I love those old flicks. :D

I think we can give that movie the benefit of the doubt, it was made during the war after all.

Andrewsdad 09-22-12 12:44 AM

While perusing the patrol reports of US subs (via Hyperwar website) I found that Navy Pharmacist Mates actually did perform appendectomies several times. It was only done as last resort, though.

When I was a young fellow my favorite sub movie was "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" with Walter Pidgeon, Arlene Francis, Barbara Eden and Michael Ansara. Great fun and a good sci-fi film.

AD

mw2000 09-24-12 04:21 PM

Bought USS Seaviper from Amazon. Waste of money, bad acting and no real story :stare:

soopaman2 09-24-12 05:14 PM

I am so glad no one called Fantastic Voyage a bad sub movie! I was waiting in baited breath for it to be uttered.

TabbyHunter 10-02-12 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewsdad (Post 1937551)
While perusing the patrol reports of US subs (via Hyperwar website) I found that Navy Pharmacist Mates actually did perform appendectomies several times. It was only done as last resort, though.

When I was a young fellow my favorite sub movie was "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" with Walter Pidgeon, Arlene Francis, Barbara Eden and Michael Ansara. Great fun and a good sci-fi film.

AD

I was waiting for that movie to be mentioned, and I'm glad it's for the better.

Worst Submarine movie? No clue.

Top three favorite?
Operation Pacific
Crimson Tide
Operation Petticoat. They painted the sub PINK!:rotfl2:

jpfx 10-04-12 08:12 AM

how about 'operation petticoat'?

Sailor Steve 10-04-12 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soopaman2 (Post 1938917)
I am so glad no one called Fantastic Voyage a bad sub movie! I was waiting in baited breath for it to be uttered.

It wasn't a sub movie at all. Pure sci-fi, and not bad for the time.

tomoose 10-04-12 06:39 PM

Red October

Yes, the book was sooo much better. The movie was entertaining but I found the underwater shots of the US sub following the Russian sub almost laughable they were so close.:haha:

Overkill 10-17-12 02:41 PM

Full Fathom Five was/is by far the worst sub movie I've personally seen. I walked out of the theater after about 30 minutes.