SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270)

max-peck 07-08-16 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XTBilly (Post 2417457)
No worries mate!:up:

Billy.

Hey Billy

My WIFI is still FUBARED, but my nephew showed me how to turn my phone into a WIFI hotspot for my PC
I am online again :D

I have downloaded your missions and will take a look

Please feel free to delete them from Google Drive :up:

cdrsubron7 07-08-16 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XTBilly (Post 2417454)
I usually turn off the radar!:D:haha::salute:

SD however does not shut off.:D

max-peck 07-08-16 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnScurvy (Post 2417287)
I'm getting really close to finishing my work

Outstanding work Capn :up:
One of the reasons I have stuck with TMO for so long is because it included Vickers beautiful interiors
I am so glad you have managed to integrate it into FOTRSU

That cannot have been easy :D

max-peck 07-08-16 03:54 PM

XYBilly - please see PM :up:

XTBilly 07-08-16 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2417464)
SD however does not shut off.:D

That... IS a fact!:D

J0313 07-08-16 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2417379)
Currently researching WWII era submersible boat procedures now for proper vernacular and implementation... big words for "I'm trying"... :wink:

------------------------

In the meantime, I have another question for the wizards of the project, or anyone in the know: Looking at the "Named" folders in the Sh.sdl file of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific v1.5 - if I look at the Submarine folder, there are 18 folders of different boat classifications, Allied & Axis, including an AI and a Japanese boat. If I look in the Interior folder, there are 6. I am assuming that several of the folders are "shared" among classes, such as Gar/Gato and others of similar "build", and only of the boats that a "human" operator could get inside? One US captains cabin folder, one German, shared among all boats of their respective nations?

This is like a spider's web, trying to wade through the structure of the game. At least there's something to wade through though. Some games don't let a user see anything "mod-able".
_

That sound's great. I wish you luck and I just want to say that it's apparent that this team is doing a great job on this. I want to thank all of you for your work and I am looking forward to this.

max-peck 07-08-16 05:14 PM

Hey XTBilly

I have just checked out your single missions, they looked mostly OK, there were just a few things that were tripping you up.

Hope you do not mind me posting them here, but it may help somebody else in the future who is trying to use the ME

The main problem was the date range
This is found in Mission/Parameters

http://i.imgur.com/5aMjskc.png

As you can see for some reason it defaults to 1940. Because the game itself does not start until Dec 7th 1941 (for obvious reasons!) this means that any mission you make with the default date will only have your sub and nothing else.
I am guessing the the ME was an afterthought carried over from SH3, and nobody thought to change the start date!
Change the date to 1943 (or something ) and your missions would have loaded :up:

A few minor issues - nothing serious
In the Single Missions Menu, all the missions were called 'Periscope Test', and they all had exactly the same description.
I am assuming you started with one mission from a mod and just duplicated it?
This is going to make it very difficult to select the mission you want :)

Fixing that is easy - but it is not obvious where these things are located. As RR said - the ME shipped with absolutely no documentation - so we are left with trial and error!

The mission name and description are found under Mission/Language Localisation (yeah I know, the mission name should surely be the same as what you have called it when you are saving it. Bad news - it isn't:))

http://i.imgur.com/TUjGE7q.png

If you click on the Mission Briefing or Mission Title in the top box, the bottom box will let you type in the text that you will actually see in the single mission menu

You already figured out that you needed to place the enemy ships marked as 'docked', with a max speed of zero knots
This is good :up:
But a few more points if you need to make any more test missions

You had your sub heading north at about 160 feet, but all the Japanese ships are set up west of you
I have changed your missions so you start at periscope depth heading 270 degrees

Believe me - if you are testing things time and time again after a while you really want to start in a good firing position, taking time to come up to PD and change your heading will just start to annoy you :)

I have fixed your test missions and will be sending them to you very shortly
Stand by for a PM

EDIT
One last thing I have just remembered - and it is real important
I noticed all of your missions are just outside Pearl
Do not be surprised if US forces turn up at some point to shoot the scheisse out of all the stationary Japanese ships you have just docked off the coast :D

This could be viewed as either an error, or a bonus :yeah:

Reason being - the single mission file you make lays over the top of whatever campaign layer is active for that month. If you think about it this makes sense - otherwise every time somebody scripted a single mission, they would have to script in the entire IJN and Japanese Merchant marine across the globe!

If you are going to make any more single test missions I suggest choosing an out of the way spot in the Pacific thousands of miles from anywhere:D

max-peck 07-08-16 05:37 PM

PS at Billy

I think I have sent you the PM with your fixed missions, but again I can see nothing in my sent box
If you have not recieved the link please let me know :)

Rockin Robbins 07-08-16 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2417452)
Hey,guys. Question for you all. One thing I find somewhat annoying in FOTRS, maybe you guys do also. It has to do with the harbor traffic and the aircraft when you leave on patrol from your base. Could anything be done to lessen having to lean on the TC key just to leave port?

I agree with Billy, I turn off the radar, but it still goes to 1x every few seconds. And we're stuck. If we turn off the downshift to 1x for friendlies, we also don't slow down TC for enemies. That could be fatal. The devs made the mistake of not dividing contacts between friend and foe so we could deal with it.

Turning off radar has some effect but not enough. I don't know everything about how the game works but this is probably a hard-wired snafu that really can't be fixed.

propbeanie 07-08-16 09:14 PM

Does the stock game "identify" the contact with a blue for friendly, and a red for enemy on the chart for just sight contacts (with map updates), or does it do it for other contact types also?...

I'm sure someone has already posted this on the site previously, but I did find something at maritime dot org called Standard Submarine Phraseology, which is apparently part of the Submarine Telephone Talkers' Manual. Cool stuff.

cdrsubron7 07-08-16 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2417515)
I agree with Billy, I turn off the radar, but it still goes to 1x every few seconds. And we're stuck. If we turn off the downshift to 1x for friendlies, we also don't slow down TC for enemies. That could be fatal. The devs made the mistake of not dividing contacts between friend and foe so we could deal with it.

Turning off radar has some effect but not enough. I don't know everything about how the game works but this is probably a hard-wired snafu that really can't be fixed.

I've been doing this with FOTRS for many years. If the first solution does not work how about moving the starting position further away from base?

max-peck 07-09-16 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2417538)
I've been doing this with FOTRS for many years. If the first solution does not work how about moving the starting position further away from base?

To be fair - if you are going to do that you may as well just choose the start at sea option? :)

fithah4 07-09-16 01:32 AM

Scratch double post

fithah4 07-09-16 01:34 AM

Thank you for the response on night filter Max-Peck, that was just what I was looking for. I waited to post response as not to clutter this thread.

I have also found tc contacts annoying, my solution was to head NW after Oahu island and WNW past Kauai island completing my direction to Midway to top off tanks and provisions. This greatly lessened contacts but the occasional task forces going the same way north through island pass.

Good looking work! To all the TEAM! Making great progress! :yeah:

Fith

XTBilly 07-09-16 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fithah4 (Post 2417549)
Thank you for the response on night filter Max-Peck, that was just what I was looking for. I waited to post response as not to clutter this thread.

I have also found tc contacts annoying, my solution was to head NW after Oahu island and WNW past Kauai island completing my direction to Midway to top off tanks and provisions. This greatly lessened contacts but the occasional task forces going the same way north through island pass.

Good looking work! To all the TEAM! Making great progress! :yeah:

Fith

You can be sure that you're not cluttering the thread more than me...:D Thanks for your support.:up:

Max, I think I've got it now. Cheers mate!:yeah:

Now that I'm really ready to test the ships, I'll report hopefully tonight, no later than tomorrow.

Regards,
Billy.