SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Royal Navy's entire fleet of attack submarines out of action (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229639)

Catfish 02-12-17 03:58 PM

Who built those gearboxes?! Oh wait, General Electrics.. :hmmm:

Oberon 02-12-17 04:28 PM

It's worse than that...it's an Italian company owned by General Electrics. :dead:

Should have just built the whole engine in one place, Rolls-Royce could probably have handled it. France could have done the airframe and Germany the electronics...and Spain...could have painted it...under supervision.

ikalugin 02-12-17 06:05 PM

This thread went weird.

Jimbuna 02-12-17 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 2465516)
It's worse than that...it's an Italian company owned by General Electrics. :dead:

Should have just built the whole engine in one place, Rolls-Royce could probably have handled it. France could have done the airframe and Germany the electronics...and Spain...could have painted it...under supervision.

:hmmm:

:)

speed150mph 02-13-17 12:48 AM

That's okay. You Brits are still doing better then us cousins of the north. I haven't checked recently to see if HMCS Windsor is back in operation yet after her last set of issues out her back at the pier, but I don't think we go any further then around the corner.

I hope the USN has some SSNs in the Canadian arctic, because If the Russians have any, we'd be the last to know about it

Oberon 02-13-17 06:35 AM

Yeah, sorry about those Upholders... :oops: I mean, the class itself is sound, it's just...well...when you leave them out in all weathers for a few years...

Then again, it seems that the Oberons must have cursed their replacements because the Aussie Collins boats had a few teething issues too, and they were home-built. Only in the Commonwealth though, because Brazil and Chile haven't had problems with their 209 and Scorpéne. :hmmm:

Onkel Neal 02-13-17 07:11 AM

Britain's fleet of submarines 'out of action' report is 'categorically not true'

Quote:

Reports that Britain’s entire fleet of attack submarines is currently out of operation due to repair and maintenance work have been dismissed by military sources.

It comes after the Sun reported that seven nuclear-powered vessels, including three new Astute class submarines, which cost more than £1 billion each, and four Trafalgar class boats were all currently classed as non-operational.

The UK’s Vanguard submarines, which carry Trident nuclear missiles, are in operation but according to the newspaper it is the first time in decades the Royal Navy has no attack submarines ready.

But on Friday afternoon, an MoD source said the claims were false.
“The story is categorically not true – there are operational, capable and ready attack submarines,” they said.

“Where they might be is clearly sensitive operational information that the MoD will not comment on.”

Skybird 02-13-17 07:28 AM

The Trident that strayed off also was fully operational and on station. :D

The accused - the MoD - maybe is not the most trustworthy source here.

The Sun article probably is exaggerated. But something must have gotten it started.

Jimbuna 02-13-17 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2465672)

The Sun article probably is exaggerated.

The Sun? Exaggerated? :hmmm:

If the Sun informed me of the time, day and date I'd go to my diary and wristwatch to check it was truthful and accurate :yep:

ikalugin 02-13-17 07:53 AM

Heh, that is the normal problem of the -special- media.

However there is a real issue there - RN needs more stuff, especially major surface and subsurface combatants as with 7 boats you would have ~2 availiable for duties at any given time which is not enough for the British global ambitions.

Catfish 02-13-17 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 2465659)
Yeah, sorry about those Upholders... :oops: I mean, the class itself is sound, it's just...well...when you leave them out in all weathers for a few years...

You didn't expose them to SALT WATER?! :o

Mr Quatro 02-13-17 03:10 PM

We need a two day time delay to get the truth anymore ... :o

Like TV sports and concerts have a 10 minute delay in case of a wardrobe malfunction :yep:

Oberon 02-13-17 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2465707)
You didn't expose them to SALT WATER?! :o

We may have accidentally exposed them to air as well... :oops:

STEED 02-13-17 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2465675)
The Sun? Exaggerated? :hmmm:

If the Sun informed me of the time, day and date I'd go to my diary and wristwatch to check it was truthful and accurate :yep:

Murdoch always tells the truth. :03: