SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Comments to SUBSIM Review (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Hi there. UbiSoft - Fkk'd or What? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=175964)

Herr-Berbunch 10-14-10 01:51 PM

Sorry for shouting, didn't notice you in any other threads (wasn't really paying attention!).

But now you're here and safe :yeah::woot::yeah::woot::yeah:

frau kaleun 10-14-10 01:53 PM

@Steve:

Can you do me a favor and right-click on My Computer and then select Properties and look at the info there and tell if it acknowledges any extra RAM as opposed to the XP "max" of 3.25 GB?

I enabled the PAE switch and it boots and runs fine so far but in the Properties of My Computer it still shows 3.25 GB of RAM and I don't know if it's supposed to acknowledge the change there or not.

Sailor Steve 10-14-10 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1514815)
@Steve:

Can you do me a favor and right-click on My Computer

I don't even know where your computer is.

Or is that a disguised invitation?
:rotfl2:

Quote:

and then select Properties and look at the info there and tell if it acknowledges any extra RAM as opposed to the XP "max" of 3.25 GB?

I enabled the PAE switch and it boots and runs fine so far but in the Properties of My Computer it still shows 3.25 GB of RAM and I don't know if it's supposed to acknowledge the change there or not.
I checked it yesterday and mine too said 3.25. But here's a weirdness - I did it again just now, and it says 3.35! I don't know if it's actually changed or if I misread it yesterday... :doh:

frau kaleun 10-15-10 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1515064)
I don't even know where your computer is.

Or is that a disguised invitation?
:rotfl2:

Cheeky devil! :O:

Quote:

I checked it yesterday and mine too said 3.25. But here's a weirdness - I did it again just now, and it says 3.35! I don't know if it's actually changed or if I misread it yesterday... :doh:
:hmmm:

Are you sure you didn't enable the /POLTERGEIST switch by mistake? :D

That is interesting, I'll have to look at mine again when I get home... should prolly do some googling on the /PAE switch to see if it IS supposed to acknowledge the added RAM in My Computer's Properties box or not. If not I guess you're just supposed to take it on faith that it's working?

Jimbuna 10-15-10 09:25 AM

As far as I'm aware the OS won't recognise or acknoledge the additional RAM but your changes should allow it to operatethe extra memory available.

I'd PM Jaesen, he'll no doubt explain it in more understandable terms.

frau kaleun 10-15-10 09:40 AM

I'd just like to have some way of confirming that it's working... there was info in the documentation at the URL that was posted about how some hardware was not compatible with the PAE switch, but the impression I got was that if this were the case the system wouldn't boot or you'd get errors and have to shut down Windows even if it did get up and running initially.

So far I've not had these problems, just don't know whether to take that as a confirmation that the switch is working or not.

OTOH I haven't played any games yet so maybe I'll notice a real difference when I load SH3 again.

Jimbuna 10-15-10 10:58 AM

I'd have thought the acid test would be once your system refuses to run the game because of the amount of additional mods, one would perform the above action and realise their changes had taken effect when the game started to load and run again as was previously the case.

frau kaleun 10-15-10 11:02 AM

Well, that's a thought - I know there are a couple that were definitely too much for my system before, perhaps I'll try them again and see what happens.

Jimbuna 10-15-10 11:10 AM

Go on...live dangerously http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima.../evillaugh.gif

frau kaleun 10-15-10 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1515289)

Oh, I love to live dangerously... in my SH3+GWX test install. :O: