SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Will the DRM affect your Purchase? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160783)

Carotio 01-26-10 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The General (Post 1246850)
I have no problem with this because I want Ubisoft to make as much money as possible with SH5 so this franchise can continue. Subsims are a rare breed and if this helps stop the piracy of SH5 then so be it.

You're WAY to positive to be just a subsim fan. Are you sure, "The General" does not just cover a manager position in the Ubisoft coorporation? Meaning you just have to try and pursuade anybody to buy it, plus asking somewhere else for having negative comments removed...:hmmm: Just wondering. Otherwise, I must say you have a patience beyond normal behaviour to accept all the crazy ideas which have been revealed lately.

Anyway, as I see it now: No complete uboat types avavilable, no complete war available, and enforced online play, all of this makes it a no-go for me. I may buy it, if released as planned, when it's at give away prices like 5 € / 50 DKK. And even then, I'll check for player reviews first, and maybe any mods, if there even will be any...

tonschk 01-26-10 02:11 PM

Quote:

I have no problem with this because I want Ubisoft to make as much money as possible with SH5 so this franchise can continue. Subsims are a rare breed and if this helps stop the piracy of SH5 then so be it.

I agree :D

Sgtmonkeynads 01-26-10 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikhayl (Post 1246898)
Could have done that in SH5, in game messages coded with enigma, and the codes in the paper manual :woot:

:D Hell yeah! Didn't think of that !

It would take all of the Kings Men,and ULTRA to pirate it then!:haha:

Onkel Neal 01-26-10 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1246875)
Oh dear... *waits for Steamwake's ranting post*

(atleast I think it was Steamwake who wasnt that fond of Steam. :hmmm::O:)

There's always someone who's not fond of something :D

Dowly 01-26-10 02:25 PM

Quote:

There was the same thing in Prince of Persia, you arrived in a room with a lot of potions. Only some would give you extra life or open the door, the rest were poison. Depending on which room you had to open the manual at a certain page and go to a certain line to find out which potions to pick up.

Could have done that in SH5, in game messages coded with enigma, and the codes in the paper manual :woot:

Every code and deciphering sheet would need to be different on all copies of the game or pirated version would just come with instructions on what and where to input to continue playing. :hmmm:

Onkel Neal 01-26-10 02:27 PM

Quote:

I want Ubisoft to make as much money as possible with SH5 so this franchise can continue. Subsims are a rare breed

We agree here, but I feel strongly that Ubisoft must put out a quality product, or least demonstrate considerable effort during development (SH2) and after release support (SH4).

mookiemookie 01-26-10 02:31 PM

I'm still going to buy it, but the minute their stupid DRM scheme causes me any problems, I'll shelve the game and swear off the series.

razark 01-26-10 02:31 PM

Quote:

Could have done that in SH5, in game messages coded with enigma, and the codes in the paper manual

I've seen this quite a lot in older games. Open manual to page X, Yth word in paragraph Z? Page Q, the number matching this number is? These are easily defeated by a piece of technology known as the Xerox machine (eh, these days, the scanner). It's just not effective, and the publishers know it.

Not that anything is really effective at stopping a determined pirate. These schemes may slow them down, but they'll get around them. All it does is annoy people who try to legally play the game.

TDK1044 01-26-10 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1246919)
I'm still going to buy it, but the minute their stupid DRM scheme causes me any problems, I'll shelve the game and swear off the series.

But then you've paid them $50 for no return, Mookie. Wait and see if there comes a time when you can play the game without online DRM and then buy it. :)

elanaiba 01-26-10 02:35 PM

It was awesome :)

ParaB 01-26-10 02:43 PM

I've cancelled my preorder and won't buy any other UBI product with this kind of DRM.

danurve 01-26-10 02:59 PM

I still think the DRM rumors haven't proven true. Something is amiss here.

Can understand to validate the game on-line durring installation. To verify - register of course. Online for multi-player sure - my son plays the latest COD with teams all the time for christs sake. But nobody saves those games. MontiCristo's new CitiesXL has a community 'planet' service as an option, but also a solo version.
To insist a game must have internet access for saves and general solo play is a form of tyranny. And I would absolutly refuse to purchase any title, from any company under those condidtions.
I can be a stubborn ******* but also a dedicated subsimer just like the next guy here. This DRM, that type of control over my purchases, my time, and my files is out of the question, and completely unacceptable under any circumstances no matter what the title.

Brag 01-26-10 03:04 PM

As most people know, I am a big UBI supporter.

But, I'm not buying no DRM hobbled stuff.

UBI should note; When I lived in the DC area, the internet was down for some time almost every day.

I have no problem with registering the product or buying a download version, :shifty:

Alex 01-26-10 03:09 PM

What's that bloody DRM thingie
*browsing google*

ROFL.

ParaB 01-26-10 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danurve (Post 1246965)
I still think the DRM rumors haven't proven true.

What more proof do you need than the Director of Customer Service and Production Planning at Ubisoft and an official UBISoft community manager?

From the Gamespy article I linked to earlier in this thread:

"Your saves will be stored remotely on Ubi servers"