SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   What Real Subs have you been on? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125755)

letterboy1 11-26-07 11:02 PM

The USS Drum
The Red October
Well, just the Drum, but it was awesome. My nephew and I looked through the periscope.

fatty 11-26-07 11:16 PM

Got a tour of HMCS Olympus while she was still a training boat.

GunnerGreg 11-26-07 11:16 PM

In my case, it might be easier to ask which museum subs I HAVEN'T been on. I've been to all but five (Marlin, Pampanito, Cobia, Silversides and Croaker)

I've even been to see the submersibles Intelligent Whale (Sea Girt, NJ), the Fenian Ram (Paterson, NJ) and CSS Hunley. Of course, you can't go inside any of them, but they are each on individual display.

I also got to see the Juliett-class SSG in Providence, RI (three times) before she broke her mooring lines and sank in a storm earlier this year. In fact, I almost went to work there.

So, here's the list:

USS Razorback (SS-394) - North Little Rock, AR
USS Batfish (SS-310) - Muskogee, OK
USS Becuna - Philadelphia, PA
USS Blueback - Portland, OR
USS Bowfin - Honolulu, HI
Russian Foxtrot B-39 - San Diego, CA
Russian Foxtrot - Long Beach, CA
Russian Juliett K-77 - Providence, RI (Currently off display)
USS Cavalla - Galveston, TX
USS Clamagore - Charleston, SC
USS Cod - Cleveland, OH
USS Drum - Mobile, AL
USS Growler - New York, NY (Currently off display)
USS Ling - Hackensack, NJ
Fenian Ram - Paterson, NJ
USS Lionfish - Fall River, MA
USS Nautilus - Groton, CT
USS Requin - Pittsburgh, PA
USS Torsk - Baltimore, MD
U-505 - Chicago, IL

When I lived in DC, my wife and I took a road trip and saw the following boats in a four-day span:

Russian Juliett 484
USS Lionfish
USS Nautilus
USS Growler
USS Ling
Intelligent Whale
Fenian Ram

We stopped to see Becuna, but she was closed that day, and I skipped Torsk, because I had been to see her many times. I went back later and toured Becuna on a different trip.

So, five submarines and two submersibles in four days. We started in Providence and worked south. I drove up from DC and my wife drove from museum to museum because I spent alot of time on the road downloading pictures off my digital camera chip into my laptop, so I would have enough free space on the chip for the next museum.

My plan is to see at least two of the Great Lakes subs and Marlin during a road trip this spring.

Thermographer 11-26-07 11:17 PM

U.S.S. Kamehameha SSBN 642, 5 years

Also Nautilus and Albacore.

D'biter 11-26-07 11:56 PM

Bowfin, Lionfish twice, K-77 (AKA Juliett 484) twice (almost went to work there), Albacore, Nautilus twice, Growler, Requin, Clagmore, Becuna, Parche

ive also been to the Hunley

D'biter 11-26-07 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunnerGreg
In my case, it might be easier to ask which museum subs I HAVEN'T been on. I've been to all but five (Marlin, Pampanito, Cobia, Silversides and Croaker)

I've even been to see the submersibles Intelligent Whale (Sea Girt, NJ), the Fenian Ram (Paterson, NJ) and CSS Hunley. Of course, you can't go inside any of them, but they are each on individual display.

I also got to see the Juliett-class SSG in Providence, RI (three times) before she broke her mooring lines and sank in a storm earlier this year. In fact, I almost went to work there.

So, here's the list:

USS Razorback (SS-394) - North Little Rock, AR
USS Batfish (SS-310) - Muskogee, OK
USS Becuna - Philadelphia, PA
USS Blueback - Portland, OR
USS Bowfin - Honolulu, HI
Russian Foxtrot B-39 - San Diego, CA
Russian Foxtrot - Long Beach, CA
Russian Juliett K-77 - Providence, RI (Currently off display)
USS Cavalla - Galveston, TX
USS Clamagore - Charleston, SC
USS Cod - Cleveland, OH
USS Drum - Mobile, AL
USS Growler - New York, NY (Currently off display)
USS Ling - Hackensack, NJ
Fenian Ram - Paterson, NJ
USS Lionfish - Fall River, MA
USS Nautilus - Groton, CT
USS Requin - Pittsburgh, PA
USS Torsk - Baltimore, MD
U-505 - Chicago, IL

When I lived in DC, my wife and I took a road trip and saw the following boats in a four-day span:

Russian Juliett 484
USS Lionfish
USS Nautilus
USS Growler
USS Ling
Intelligent Whale
Fenian Ram

We stopped to see Becuna, but she was closed that day, and I skipped Torsk, because I had been to see her many times. I went back later and toured Becuna on a different trip.

So, five submarines and two submersibles in four days. We started in Providence and worked south. I drove up from DC and my wife drove from museum to museum because I spent alot of time on the road downloading pictures off my digital camera chip into my laptop, so I would have enough free space on the chip for the next museum.

My plan is to see at least two of the Great Lakes subs and Marlin during a road trip this spring.

you forgot the Albacore in Portsmouth, NH

also, i dont know if this counts, but i believe that the superstructure of the Squalus is up in Portsmouth too

bookworm_020 11-27-07 12:10 AM

HMAS Onslow and a Russian Foxtrot sub that was here for awhile before the Onslow tied up in Sydney.

I wonder if I should organise a Australian Subsim get together at the Australian Marintime Muesum? Don't know if it would be possible, but it would be intresting!

Would ther be enough intrest in a get together in Sydney Australia?

USS Sea Tiger 11-27-07 12:31 AM

Do wrecks count too?

Hi

dove on about 25 Uboats, a Few Soviet subs,
and lots of Museum subs, but the most original sub I was on

USCGC Tamarora
5 successful dives in her life!!

Just glad I was not stationed on her when she did these dives

PharaohTet 11-27-07 12:36 AM

Razorback!

I'm surprised that only GunnerGreg mentioned the SS-394 Razorback, now at North Little Rock, Arkansas. I work in NLR; seems that when you get used to seeing an old rustbucket like that every day, you forget what a privilege you have.

Sadly, the Razorback (a Balao-class, I think) was the victim of one of those darned GUPPY conversions that changed it from a cool-looking WWII pacific theatre silent service veteran into one of those obnoxious boxy looking subs you'd expect to be doing something boring, like polar research. No deck gun, no cool AA gundecks on the tower, etc.

Even worse: the poor boat spent a goodly amount of time in the Turkish navy before we (NLR) bought it back from them and turned it into a museum piece. The inside machinery still has stuff labeled in Turkish.

ADDED LATER: a little eye-candy for any of you collectors:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t/100_4519.jpg

Stealth Hunter 11-27-07 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
USS Torsk....I'm there every Saturday restoring the old girl. Drop on by if you are visiting Baltimore.

Hey, my nephew might be dropping by there come June 2008! I'll have to get him to run by and bug yeh. That boy's obsessed with planes, subs, ships, and destruction (though he's VERY careful around historical items, thank god).

EDIT: I've been on board a couple, including a time that I went diving in a Russian one. Really fun, but goddamn did my ears hurt afterwards. Been a long time since I'd been in one for leisure.

Anachronous 11-27-07 12:51 AM

USS Seadragon
I'd love the chance to see more, especially some WW2 subs.

Jedi215 11-27-07 12:55 AM

USS Nautilus
USS Growler
U-505

Wolfgang Guber 11-27-07 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookworm_020
HMAS Onslow and a Russian Foxtrot sub that was here for awhile before the Onslow tied up in Sydney.

I wonder if I should organise a Australian Subsim get together at the Australian Marintime Muesum? Don't know if it would be possible, but it would be intresting!

Would ther be enough intrest in a get together in Sydney Australia?

would love too,

havn't been on any sub, tho i have eaten alot of them tho.

seen a Chinese Sub tho, don't know what class, it was pointed out to me by a mate when i was overseas

i wouldn't mind going if it was set up.

McBeck 11-27-07 01:35 AM

USS Pampanito (San Francisco, CA) - twice:D

Cobber 11-27-07 01:54 AM

Now let's see:

HMAS Oxley
HMAS Ovens
HMAS Orion
HMS Alliance (Gosport UK)
USS Bowfin (Hawaii USA)
USS Houston
HMAS Collins