SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Type VII or type IX (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119844)

dmlavan 08-07-07 12:13 PM

I find each has its advantages and disadvantages, and will do careers in both types. However, I also find there are more great skins (primarily use FUBAR's and STEED's), and some other eye candy, done for the Type VII. So when I'm feeling particularly vain I prefer a "pimped" out VIIC ;)

IrischKapitan 08-07-07 02:39 PM

I prefer the VII series, the IX is fat, and handles like boat ('scuse the pun)

But dont listen to me have them all and enjoy the U-boat experience! :D:arrgh!:

Kaleun Hals 08-07-07 04:03 PM

No decision yet...just completed 8 patrols in U-101 (Type VIIB) and currently outbound south near the Cape Verde Islands in my recently aquired Type IXC U-129.

Sad to see the old Type VII go but when Bdu says I'm upgrading then so be it...:cool:

ReM 08-07-07 04:18 PM

Type VII, all the way..some more eels would be nice though!

STEED 08-07-07 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReM
Type VII, all the way..some more eels would be nice though!

Want more eels get an IX boat. :lol:

Steel_Tomb 08-07-07 05:02 PM

I personally prefer the VII over the IX. Mainly because its more agile and quicker to dive. Although it carries fewer eel's you can still get some pretty hefty tonnage using one!

Brag 08-07-07 09:14 PM

Haven't had a IXD yet but stashing away renown for one. When do they become available?

STEED 08-08-07 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brag
Haven't had a IXD yet but stashing away renown for one. When do they become available?

Jan43. :yep:

Hopefully in the GWX 1.04 they have corrected it to Sept42. :ping:

Jimbuna 08-08-07 02:35 PM

Let's hope so ;)

STEED 08-08-07 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna
Let's hope so ;)

You have because I raised this issue along with the number of eels for the IXB from 21 to 22. I feel like a :doh:

Hakahura 08-08-07 06:11 PM

I've used them both, but the IX is my favorite.

Those extra torps and added deck gun punch allow for that bit more tonnage each patrol.

As for the increased dive times and reduced manovrability, IMHO a good kaleun can work round them. I've managed soom sucessful harbour raids with a IX when having a "Prien" moment.

Made it to Oct '44 now and trying to master the XXI.

KeptinCranky 08-08-07 07:00 PM

Early on I like the IXb best, the downsides aren't all that lethal before 42 and it has all those lovely fish to sink lots and lots of fat merchants as well as the range to visit interesting places like freetown or the canary islands as well as Newfoundland if you prefer sinking canadians.

Later on I like playing in the Med so I only get a VIIc, but for the atlantic I also prefer the VII, I'd definitely rather have the smaller boats so no IXD2 for me, it's just too cumbersome despite the range to go nearly anywhere, although what one would do on the western exit of the Panama Canal is anyone's guess, but If you really wanted to, you could go there in a IXD2, that's it's only real advantage over the other IXs, range

Tontoman 08-08-07 07:20 PM

IX for the extra torps.

No replacement for displacement :lol:

T.

UnterseeBoogeyMan 08-08-07 08:32 PM

I always had an attachment to the Type VII but on this career I'm going to spend my renown on a Type IX in time for Operation Weserabung. A few extra torpedoes means maybe I can take out 1, 2 capital ships and have some fish to sapre for some troop transports. Before I died on my last career I realized I need to hang close to Narvik to get all the action. That's my reason for getting a Type IX. 15 fish vs. 9.

Jimbuna 08-09-07 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna
Let's hope so ;)

You have because I raised this issue along with the number of eels for the IXB from 21 to 22. I feel like a :doh:

Yep that's right....tis sorted ;)