SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Trouble installing SH3 and SH4 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=236991)

THEBERBSTER 04-01-18 04:05 PM

If you Google the internet there are some very good prices out there.
There is a Canadian Encore version that comes with SHII and III.
If you are buying second hand then ask the seller what the dvd disc color is.
The Starforce free dvd' is split in half with 2 colors.
White top half and black bottom half.
Peter

IRISH4Life 04-02-18 09:05 AM

Completely Confused

I purchased Silent Hunter 3 in 2011, played it all of these years with no problem, (now both of my DVD Drives stopped being recognized over time), if this is true that explains why the DVD drives worked to reload Windows onto a blank Harddrive perfectly but it would not read my SH3 Game disk??? I am understanding that is because of StarForce and UBIsofts Decision to use StarForce??? WOW. So what do I do now? I have a original copy of Silent Hunter III that I purchased from Microcenter that will not run because UBI soft put a program on my disk to stop anyone from copying it?, Its never been copied. I will ask UBI as I have a help request into them.

I have tried the removal tool, It removed it. Also found it in my list of hidden devices, removed it from there too, but my game will still not run and Starforce still activates.

????????

Mike

IRISH4Life 04-02-18 09:18 AM

Not 2010----I bought in 2005

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this game before I built my first real computer. The DELL we had wouldn't even run the game, LOL. When we bought the first DELL the salesman said that 4 gig of harddrive space will be more than enough for years to come. LOL.

IRISH4Life 04-02-18 10:01 AM

I figured the next step out!

The Key was STARFORCE! I removed it (what a crappy security program). I followed the directions and updated with the RAR program, and the game suddenly worked.

Ok now that I know this much I realized I am running on the 32 bit system and could have updated to the 64 bit system thus allow use of more of my 8 gig of RAM. UGH.

Well not I am interested in loading the Frontend but I am guessing I should have done that before I did everything I have done so far CORRECT or can Install now.

YEAHHHHHHH I have SH 3 loaded if not correctly it is loaded. LOL.

Thanks I am sorry to keep bothering you guys, I am just plugging away and keep trying different things. sometimes they work. LOL

Mike

Eichhörnchen 04-02-18 11:15 AM

"Starforce" has been a major pain in the arse for so long, preventing people from playing games they bought in good faith, but I never removed it for fear of affecting other important games from working afterwards; games that wouldn't work were usually unimportant ones, except in the case of Stalker: Clear Sky... but this employed the "Tages" anti-emulation software, not Starforce, and I got the disc key redeemed by GOG.com so I could download a free 'clean' copy from them. I'm playing it right now.

Sailor Steve 04-02-18 01:31 PM

I simply bought a newer copy of SH3 and SH4 1.5. No StarForce. No nothing. :sunny:

Eichhörnchen 04-02-18 02:03 PM

^ Me too

IRISH4Life 04-02-18 08:04 PM

Installing Front End

DO most players install the FRONT END so they can put more than one install on their system?

How hard is it or is it fairly seemless?

THEBERBSTER 04-03-18 06:43 AM

Mike
All you need to do is make copies of your original clean installation and give them different names.
When you want to add a new game use the application Multi SH3 and give each game its own 3 digit saved game folder.
Peter

IRISH4Life 04-03-18 09:07 AM

Only 3 letter or Number?

I spent most of the day yesterday completely reloading the whole computer, added a newer hard drive, updated the Bios to the newest NVIDIA for the Motherboard, reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit as the Operating system. (WHY WINDOWS 7 (well, I cannot get my Photoshop CS3 program to work on Windows 10?) why I am not sure.

Everything is updated, its a beautiful install and runs as smoothly as a BRAND SPANKING NEW COMPUTER. Now I am ready to install the GAME SHIII.

Should I install the clean game first or the S3F first?

When I make a copy of the game is it simply a copy and past?

I made separate files for each possible game, and I will install and update each there, linking to S3F Correct? C:\\UBISOFT\

SilentHunterIIIGWX3
SilentHunterIIILSH
SilentHunterIIIGWM
SilentHunterIIICCoM
SilentHunterIIINYGM
SilentHunterIII1.4b
SilentHunterIIIA
SilentHunterIIIB
SilentHunterIIIC
SilentHunterIV
SilentHunterIVFLEET

does S3F only recognize 3 letter or number choices?

Also does each load gets its own JGSME or is that is taken care of by S3F?

Trying to avoid pitfalls and if I understand correctly

1)CLEAN INSTALL of SHIII FIRST, get rid of the StarForce unapproved additions, and replace dll's eliminating the scourge.
2)Save install by Copy and paste to a Master save file on multiple drives (LOL)
3)Update install to 1.4b (Because I have to update) I have the first version.
4)Install S3F NOW? or before steps 1,2 and 3?
5)Do I Install JGSME into each now or thats handled by S3F?
6)Start S3F and identify each load of SHIII and SHIV? my goal is to get to SHIV and if J3F doesnt work, I may just bypass that step, saving the clean install for a later date.

Sorry,

Mike

Sailor Steve 04-03-18 11:02 AM

S3F may include a copy of Multi-SH3, but Multi-SH3 is the program that lets you run multiple installations of the game (hence the name).

aanker 04-03-18 12:41 PM

Rockin Robbins made a great tutorial for creating a pristine directory with multi-SH4 & JSGME in it:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...56&postcount=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDBdCBb7yM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=PcwZXE82wzA

This same procedure should work with SH3 & Multi-SH3 - ignore that this is Linux.

I can't find the video I'm looking for but look around on his YouTube page if these don't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE6xK6cHHKk

IRISH4Life 04-05-18 08:44 AM

Not sure where to go from here.

I am trying to avoid the pitfalls an rashly installing only to find out it should have been done differently.

What I have:
A Newly installed Win 7 64 bit computer (why Win7 Because my CS3 won't work on 10 for some reason)

All updated and running smoothly

Defragged and ready for installs

Installed SH3 into file of my choice. E:\\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIIIA then patched to 1.4b and StarForce verified NOT On the system.
Tested game and SH3 running smoothly from original installed folder after patch and copies were made.

Before I ran for the first time I copied and pasted into new file E:\\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII1.4b
Also Copied and pasted into Backup file
E:\\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIIIB and E:\\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIIIC as backups

I also have other waiting files for additional copies allowing for supermods using Multi SH3 or S3F???????

EX.
E:\\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIIIGWX
\SilentHunterIIIFleetboat
etc etc

Also created extra folders named and saved as

E:\\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIVA and B

Then installed SH4 to file labeled E:\\WolvesofthepacificNEW
with the good install.

The Created a back up copy to where I patched SH4
E:\WolvesofthepacificPATCHED

Copied that file again to

E:\\wolvesofthepacificCOMPLETE

SH4 then was tested and ran smoothly.

Still not JGSME or Multi 3 or 4 installed yet.

NOW my question is.......
1) DO I put a copy of JGSME in every copy of the game?
And
2) Where do I install Multi SH3 and Multi SH4? Anywhere special? In a main folder or outside the main game folder as stand alone?

3) Should I use S3F to handle all of SH3 or just use Multi-SH3?

Thanks,

Mike

aanker 04-05-18 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISH4Life (Post 2548222)
NOW my question is.......
1) DO I put a copy of JGSME in every copy of the game?
And
2) Where do I install Multi SH3 and Multi SH4? Anywhere special? In a main folder or outside the main game folder as stand alone?

3) Should I use S3F to handle all of SH3 or just use Multi-SH3?

Thanks,

Mike

The videos are only about 10 minutes long. Recommend you watch them! The principle is the same for SH3 though I'm not a SH3 guy.

1. Yes
2. Multi SH3 in every SH3 install, Multi SH4 in every SH4 install. Read the documentation BUT FIRST, please, please, WATCH THE VIDEOS in order: (1, then 2, then 3) so you understand the CONCEPTS. That's why he made them.
3. I don't know about #3..... Someone else will answer that.

Good luck & Happy Hunting Bud!

IRISH4Life 04-06-18 05:04 PM

THANKS

Thanks guys for helping me!

I appreciate your patience!