SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   LIVING SILENT HUNTER 3 - EDITION 2022 » DISCUSSION and SUPPORT (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=252544)

Aktungbby 04-23-24 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2910129)
Fwiw, patrols "way south off the west coast of Africa" is not ahistorical at all.

:stare::shifty::roll:Indeed, that's where U-505, now in Chicago, got hunted down and captured!:yeah: :arrgh!:

John Pancoast 04-23-24 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aktungbby (Post 2910189)
:stare::shifty::roll:Indeed, that's where U-505, now in Chicago, got hunted down and captured!:yeah: :arrgh!:

Yep, and a highly decorated ace, Wolfgang Luth, had great success off of the west/south African coasts.

Archive1 05-09-24 12:49 AM

pancoast and aktungbby:

Yes, yes I understand all that, but my assignment was in 1941...way down there in Africa? C'mon, guys. British shipping up north into and away from the Isles was much more critical to destroy in the early years.

Your comments are obviously correct, much later in the war, but not at the onset. I think we must accept that patrol assignments in the game are randomly assigned with no focus on accuracy and generally can be ignored without any negatives. Maybe you have some historical reference that makes my position invalid (?) I know of no subs assigned deep into the coast of Africa in 1941, but perhaps you have a reference that corrects me.

BTW - I grew up in Chicago and am very well aware of U-505 and visited it often.
-=Archive1=-
:Kaleun_Cheers:

La vache 05-09-24 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archive1 (Post 2911754)
I know of no subs assigned deep into the coast of Africa in 1941, but perhaps you have a reference that corrects me.

U 69 5 May - 8 Jul 1941
https://uboat.net/boats/patrols/patrol_492.html

Aktungbby 05-09-24 12:42 PM

Welcome back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archive1 (Post 2911754)
pancoast and aktungbby:

Yes, yes I understand all that, but my assignment was in 1941...way down there in Africa? C'mon, guys. British shipping up north into and away from the Isles was much more critical to destroy in the early years.

Your comments are obviously correct, much later in the war, but not at the onset. I think we must accept that patrol assignments in the game are randomly assigned with no focus on accuracy and generally can be ignored without any negatives. Maybe you have some historical reference that makes my position invalid (?) I know of no subs assigned deep into the coast of Africa in 1941, but perhaps you have a reference that corrects me.

BTW - I grew up in Chicago and am very well aware of U-505 and visited it often.
-=Archive1=-

Quote:

Originally Posted by La vache (Post 2911775)

La vache!:Kaleun_Salute:
Quote:

Third patrol
The boat's next sortie was to the West African coast. She laid mines off Lagos and Takoradi and made full use of the failure of the allies to enforce convoy systems.

One of her victims was the neutral American ship SS Robin Moor[6] operating 750 miles (1,210 km) off the British port of Freetown, Sierra Leone. The sinking of Robin Moor caused President Roosevelt to brand Germany an "international outlaw" and to require Germany and Italy to close all of their consulates in the United States except for their embassies.[7] Before the sinking, Robin Moor's passengers and crew were allowed thirty minutes to board lifeboats, then the submarine torpedoed, shelled and sank the ship. The survivors then drifted without rescue or detection for up to eighteen days. When news of the sinking reached the US, few shipping companies felt truly safe anywhere. As Time magazine noted in June 1941, "if such sinkings continue, US ships bound for other places remote from fighting fronts, will be in danger. Henceforth the US would either have to recall its ships from the ocean or enforce its right to the free use of the seas."[8] In October 1941, federal prosecutors in the espionage case against a group of 33 defendants known as the "Duquesne Spy Ring" adduced testimony that Leo Waalen had submitted the sailing date of Robin Moor for radio transmission to Germany, five days before the ship began her final voyage. Waalen was found guilty and sentenced to 12 years in prison for espionage and a concurrent 2-year term for violation of the Foreign Agents Registration Act.

U-69 also sank Tewkesbury about 540 nautical miles (1,000 km; 620 mi) south of the Cape Verde Islands on the same date (21 May). Her master was awarded the OBE for his actions, but never knew about it; he was lost when Newbury went to the bottom on 15 September.

She then sank Sangara in Accra harbour on 31 May 1941. The ship went down in 33 ft (10 m) of water, her bow was still visible. (The vessel was salvaged in 1943 and her cargo sold, she was broken up in 1947).

Robert Hughes was lost to a mine laid by U-69 on 4 June.

The submarine sank River Lugar 200 nautical miles (370 km; 230 mi) southeast of the Azores on 27 June 1941 and Empire Ability on that same day.

On the return journey, U-69 was engaged in what was an ultimately successful gun-duel with Robert L. Holt southwest of the Canary Islands on 3 July 1941. She fired 102 high explosive and 34 incendiary rounds from her deck gun, 220 rounds from her 20mm anti-aircraft weapon and 400 rounds from her MG 34 machine gun at the merchantman.

The boat returned to France, to St. Nazaire on 8 July.
https://s19.postimg.cc/rprsjdvtv/U_6...eetemblmes.jpg

Archive1 05-13-24 10:11 PM

La Vache and Aktungbby:
I accept your corrections. Clearly some unterseeboots were operating off the African coast.
My statements were off base and incorrect. But...
I still cannot understand why the sub command would divert critical, and limited number, of subs to this far southern arena when the coastal waters of the UK were so critical to control and that the necessary-to-exist materiel which was needed, had to end in UK ports. Anything coming from elsewhere still had to, must, clear the UK coast and end-up in its limited number of destination harbors for unloading. A balance, perhaps, between the hazard of UK aircraft up north and its density of shipping, and the safety of the south and fewer ships.
We know from Churchill's books that the situation was increasingly dire for the UK.
Obviously, I was not asked for my opinion by Doenitz!
-=Archive1=-

John Pancoast 05-13-24 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archive1 (Post 2912054)
La Vache and Aktungbby:
I accept your corrections. Clearly some unterseeboots were operating off the African coast.
My statements were off base and incorrect. But...
I still cannot understand why the sub command would divert critical, and limited number, of subs to this far southern arena when the coastal waters of the UK were so critical to control and that the necessary-to-exist materiel which was needed, had to end in UK ports. Anything coming from elsewhere still had to, must, clear the UK coast and end-up in its limited number of destination harbors for unloading. A balance, perhaps, between the hazard of UK aircraft up north and its density of shipping, and the safety of the south and fewer ships.
We know from Churchill's books that the situation was increasingly dire for the UK.
Obviously, I was not asked for my opinion by Doenitz!
-=Archive1=-

<shrug> I too stand by my comment. Including in '41. As to Churchill, taking most anything he said about the Battle of the Atlantic as being accurate is rolling the dice. He had a flair for being melodramatic. I'd suggest Blair's books on the subject for a much more objective view, especially concerning the myth of the u-boat's effectiveness. In short, at no time did they come even close to shutting down the North Atlantic and any boats sent south wouldn't have changed that.

As to why some u-boats were sent south, a large part of that was because the hunting was easier, more successful and less dangerous than in the North Atlantic. A lot of Allied traffic went to west African ports and around the cape of south Africa to supply forces in both North Africa and the Far East. The Mediterranean was rightly considered too dangerous for this traffic.
At times too Doenitz was *told* where u-boats would be sent, regardless of other plans he wanted to do with them. This was especially true regarding the Mediterranean.

Archive1 05-15-24 10:34 PM

Pancoast:
I would not pretend to debate your accuracy, but I do think that the material I have read about N. Atlantic tonnage sunk in these earlier years (by both German and British historians) does indeed support Churchill's concerns in his many books and comments on the subject.
But all that is irrelevant.
U-subs did go south.
Some southern station orders from UBoat command would be valid.
Accepted.
But, I'll still hunt effectively in the northern waters. Since Doenitz can't touch me. And I can save fuel for long hunting periods and still get back to Lorient with more than just fumes left in the tank.
With respect,
-=Archive1=-

Archive1 06-11-24 11:05 PM

Installation of LSH3-2022

All:
I have become tired of having no attack scope (see my earlier comments) and decided to download a fresh version of LSH3-2022 to see if the new download would take care of the problem. But...

The putative English version of the download directions are in German (as, of course, are the German directions.) That is not useful.

But also when I do download the Full.exe code into the C: Download folder. And then drag/drop it into a new E:"LSH3-2022 New" folder to extract, it does what it has done before: it wants to extract via 7-zip with a password. There is no password for 7-zip on my computer. (I have complained about this before.)

I was severely taken to task by one of your major...whatever...for not following directions. A message in all Capital letters, BTW

Well, I have followed the directions, translated into English. And I get the same problem. 7-Zip wants a password to extract.

Wilhelmshaven...we have a problem. A persistent problem, to say nothing of why suddenly the arrow keys do not move the attack scope from R to L, although it raises and lowers with the up/down arrow. (I use the O scope for everything...do I have a choice? No.)

I've worked with LSH3 since it emerged. But I have to say things are falling apart, guys.
-=Archive 1=-

Maddin25 06-13-24 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archive1 (Post 2914508)
All:
I have become tired of having no attack scope (see my earlier comments) and decided to download a fresh version of LSH3-2022 to see if the new download would take care of the problem. But...

The putative English version of the download directions are in German (as, of course, are the German directions.) That is not useful.

But also when I do download the Full.exe code into the C: Download folder. And then drag/drop it into a new E:"LSH3-2022 New" folder to extract, it does what it has done before: it wants to extract via 7-zip with a password. There is no password for 7-zip on my computer. (I have complained about this before.)

I was severely taken to task by one of your major...whatever...for not following directions. A message in all Capital letters, BTW

Well, I have followed the directions, translated into English. And I get the same problem. 7-Zip wants a password to extract.

Wilhelmshaven...we have a problem. A persistent problem, to say nothing of why suddenly the arrow keys do not move the attack scope from R to L, although it raises and lowers with the up/down arrow. (I use the O scope for everything...do I have a choice? No.)

I've worked with LSH3 since it emerged. But I have to say things are falling apart, guys.
-=Archive 1=-

According to the installation manual you have to start the LSH3-2022-INSTALLATION.EXE, not the "full.exe"
Also the LSH3-2022-FULL.EXE is not meant to be extractet via 7zip/winrar etc.

Archive1 06-18-24 11:40 PM

Madden:
I appreciate your reply, but...
1. the torpedo itself is not an active link to anything...it is merely an icon.
2. When I do click on a hot download link I get, in the C:Download folder:
"Unconfirmed 4000570.download"
3. If I drag this to a clean LSH3 folder on my E: drive and select it to open it there...
3. I get: 7z LSH3-2022-Full.exe
7z LSH3-2022-Multiinstaller.exe
PDf
PDF

There is no "LSH3-2022-Installation.exe" and what files are there for extraction and/or installation are fixed as 7z files. And you tell me that trying to open LSH3-2022-full.exe is not the correct one. OK, but then...?

At no time have I elected, or selected, or desired, or tried to open anything with 7z - the files as they are downloaded and opened are 7z fixed and there is no escape.

I have complained about this before and have been chastised for "trying to open these files in 7zip". That has never been my goal. But, tell me, how do I open files that LSH3 itself downloads as 7z files, especially when they are "password" locked?

I believe that FUBAR (or someone) had a link that did work and did not download a file to me that was 7z. But I no longer have his link.

Sorry for the tone, but my frustration is at a high level.
-=Archive1=-

layelan762 07-02-24 12:05 AM

Hi. Sorry for stupid question but I've installed the mod and I don't like the GUI. How do I change it to the one shown in the second picture below?

https://i.ibb.co/VQ6kQrj/2024-07-02-075601.png
Original.

https://i.ibb.co/nmKVkjd/2024-07-02-075521.png
The one i like.

Aktungbby 07-02-24 10:34 AM

Welcome aboard!

layelan762!:Kaleun_Salute:

Anvar1061 07-03-24 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layelan762 (Post 2916601)
Hi. Sorry for stupid question but I've installed the mod and I don't like the GUI. How do I change it to the one shown in the second picture below?

https://i.ibb.co/VQ6kQrj/2024-07-02-075601.png
Original.

https://i.ibb.co/nmKVkjd/2024-07-02-075521.png
The one i like.

Very uninformative screenshots. It seems to me that you want the LSH3 2015 interface

Maddin25 07-07-24 06:25 AM

@layelan762 seems you have the OLC GUI activated. Just deactivate it via JSGME!

masterskop 07-07-24 11:27 AM

Any additional mods for LSH3?

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any additional mods for LSH3? I've tried the Oneaxel mod but couldn't get it to go. That mod has quite a few mods in it. I was wondering if some of those mods can be ported over to the LSH3 mod and used and / or any mods out there like uboat skins, music, etc... that can be added to the mod.

I'm an old sailor coming up from Davy Jone's locker. I wanted to give SH3 another go. I do have my old dvd from 2005 and the keyboard layout for the game.

I'm ready to say 'Torpedo los!'

masterskop 07-09-24 07:47 PM

Telegraph issue in LSH3

Hi,

I'm doing the navigation training and during the exercise it ask to dive at periscope depth and go "ahead flank". When I press the '5' key to go 'ahead flank', the telegraph goes to 'ahead slow'. The command on the screen does state 'ahead flank'. It does appear that I'm going 'ahead slow'. I'm not able to complete the mission.

Any advise?

Figured it out. Before starting the game up I needed to unselect the 'malfunctions' option....doh!

Deputy 07-10-24 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterskop (Post 2917168)
Hi,

I was wondering if there were any additional mods for LSH3? I've tried the Oneaxel mod but couldn't get it to go. That mod has quite a few mods in it. I was wondering if some of those mods can be ported over to the LSH3 mod and used and / or any mods out there like uboat skins, music, etc... that can be added to the mod.

I'm an old sailor coming up from Davy Jone's locker. I wanted to give SH3 another go. I do have my old dvd from 2005 and the keyboard layout for the game.

I'm ready to say 'Torpedo los!'

Welcome to the "old sailor club" :03:
Getting mods to work in LSH3 is kind of a "hit and miss" proposition. Some work great. Some don't. Gotta just install them via JSGME and give them a try.

VoidsX 08-10-24 06:14 AM

Hi, does the mod support an unusual screen res 1680x1050? I'm using a very old monitor.

Archive1 08-18-24 11:37 PM

"Special Mission" message

On a routine patrol out of WH I got a "Return to base immediately. You have been chosen for a Special Mission" ...or some such. OK, returned. Nothing. Just the usual assignment to a new quadrant.
Is something mission in the programming code?
Archive1 :k_confused: