SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Who will win the 2020 US Presidential Election? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=245801)

August 11-04-20 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2704955)
So yes, they made it that way. Will you accept the outcome, or will Trump?

Of course he will. Me, it doesn't matter whether I do or not. Either way I still have to go to work tomorrow.

Quote:

Also it was never a good system:"George Washington’s farewell address is often remembered for its warning against hyper-partisanship:

“The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism.”"

That's your proof it's not a good system? You do realize that this quote, if accurate, can be applied to a popular vote method as well. Got anything else?

mapuc 11-04-20 05:19 PM

Didn't trump criticize this system during the election 2016 and after he had won almost worshipped it ?

I could be wrong

Markus

Skybird 11-04-20 05:22 PM

Its a dumb and rigged system, meant to - surprise - rig elections, plain and simple. All the rationales given to excuse or to explain it - I understand their points, I am not dumb - I just do not buy them. They do not convince, and cannot convince, since they rig the election. Elections are not fair nor equal, if votes count differently.

Whats worse, they said that in some states Trump may want to stop voting to win time to have regional Republican power using it to replace people in the electorate collage to have people in place that will vote Trump even if the state was won by Biden. Typically Trump. Cheat, lie, betray, lie, play foul, tell more lies. Lies, lies, lies, lies, all his life long nothing but lies. His whole life is a fake. That, for a change, is no lie.

Catfish 11-04-20 05:24 PM

re August: It was a good idea at the time, but some foresaw what could happen.. it took some 200 years though.
I think there were enough interests and political ideas widespread across public 'strata' and counties, and professions, partly overlapping, with enough necessity to build coalitions and negotiate across the nation and different views, so this all still worked in two parties, but now there are only those two with their fixed ideas and that's it.
They wanted to avoid a partisan majority, but people have at some point stopped talking to each other, negotiate and make deals, across the parties. It is all about me myself I and not about the country. Like here. Or in England.
No, i have no better idea.

Skybird 11-04-20 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2704958)
Didn't trump criticize this system during the election 2016 and after he had won almost worshipped it ?

I could be wrong

Markus

He did not accept the voting result 2016 as real, since the public vote saw Clinton hzaviugn defeated him, and that was more than his inflaitonary ego could bear. To him it is unimaginable that people could want to not love him.

Try to argue with a psychotic narcissist. You bite on granit.

Skybird 11-04-20 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2704960)
It was a good idea at the time, but some foresaw what could happen.. it took some 200 years though.
I think there were enough interests and political ideas widespread over public 'strata' and counties, and professions, with enough necessity to build coalitions and negotiate across the nation, so this all still worked in two parties, but now there are only those two with their fixed ideas and that's it.
They wanted to avoid a partisan majority, but people have at some point stopped talking to each other, negotiate and make deals, across the parties. It is all about me myself I and not about the country. Like here. Or in England.

I can think of alternatives, and sometimes have described some of them. Smaller administrative hierarchy levels and administration zones, less power for for political actors on a much smaller playing field offerign far less options to hide and to abuse. Self-administration (which needs even smaller administration zones). "Small is beautiful. " The bigger the structure of power administration, the more the dirt and the malice finds ways to hide in it. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Thats why I totally oppose multi-national organisaiton, or the EU. They just work more bad than good, always. Corona - WHO. A desaster. Leave a dminmstraiton to small regional locations and local institutzions. Leave the taxes in the local region.Implement manager and poltlican liability (with opriuvate proerty, and poruvate freedom). No office immunity anymore. Limited terms, limited lifetime allowed to spend in active potlics. Total prohibition of business lobbyists. Leaders shall not be allowed to exclude themselves from the consequences of the decisions they make. They have to be the living exmaple.

Oh, and say Sayonara to this damn Führer cult.

mapuc 11-04-20 05:48 PM

Forgot to tell you about a situation in an interview which I saw on some channel not so long ago.

An Afro american was asked on which candidate he would put his vote

This maleperson said

I have/will vote on Trump

The response from this journalist was speechless

BUT...you're black

Markus

August 11-04-20 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2704960)
re August: It was a good idea at the time, but some foresaw what could happen.. it took some 200 years though.
I think there were enough interests and political ideas widespread over public 'strata' and counties, and professions, with enough necessity to build coalitions and negotiate across the nation, so this all still worked in two parties, but now there are only those two with their fixed ideas and that's it.

But Catfish none of that is an argument for or against the Electoral college. Rather it's an argument against the two party system which is not the same thing at all. The EC can exist just fine with three or more parties.
As I have repeatedly said we are the United States of America. Understand what that means. We are not 360 million individuals, never have been. We are a collection of 50 sovereign states and both our constitution and nation are based on that. The states send representatives to the national congress and the states elect the national president. That's the way it was designed.

Now maybe the system has some warts but it still works far better than any other large multicultural nations system of government. Maybe you prefer the Eurocrat EC or even the Communist Chinese or Russian Strongman models but you can't argue against the strength and longevity of our system and I feel that we would abandon it at our peril. Yours too unless you think a Balkanized nuclear armed America would be to your advantage.

Onkel Neal 11-04-20 06:39 PM

It's not looking good for Trump. If he loses Michigan and Wisconsin, and he doesn't catch up in Nevada, it's all over. He may as well start packing his hair spray trunk.

https://www.270towin.com/maps/9XnPL

Just think, August, Connecticut could have made him a two-term president.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=11594

Platapus 11-04-20 07:33 PM

‘If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It’

Attributed to Mark Twain but most likely in error.

Skybird 11-04-20 07:55 PM

However, I think as far as laws and rules are applied, its game over for Trump. He may try to play more foul later on, but by counting ballots, even with this election college thing interfering with it all, he soon will be shown to have been defeated, I expecte to learn soon.

Congratulations for finally getting rid of Trump, America. My condolences for getting Harris instead. And with this I say Good Night for tonight.

August 11-04-20 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2704984)
Just think, August, Connecticut could have made him a two-term president.

Erm ok. Why Connecticut?

Onkel Neal 11-04-20 08:05 PM

Bee-cause we need EVERY vote!! :03:

Even without Mi and Wisc Trump would have won, if Connecticutt had done right.

https://www.270towin.com/maps/EW1Wp.png

The only chance Trump has now is Nevada and we should know in the morning.

President Biden. Skybird, while we may have gotten rid of Trump, we got rid of the country as well.

August 11-04-20 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2704996)
Bee-cause we need EVERY vote!! :03:

Even without Mi and Wisc Trump would have won, if Connecticutt had done right.

First off Trump hasn't lost yet. Maybe he will and maybe he won't but there has been enough chicanery to warrant recounts that might expose a few things that might change the picture, like how magical boxes of pure 100% Democrat votes can suddenly appear overnight. Nobody else gets a single vote, not Trump or the two other independent candidates, but the Biden suddenly zooms up 100k votes to take the lead? Sounds fishy no? Then there is the sudden coordinated vote count stoppage in several Dem run battleground states for several hours. Was this to give them enough time to figure out who didn't vote in person and assign one to them? Lots of questions there.

Second that was a weird example. Connecticut was never going to vote for Trump, neither was Massachusetts or New York. All deep blue states. You might as well have used California!

Last, whether Trump wins or looses I still have to go to work in the morning. It looks like the GoP will retain the senate and while I don't trust those snakes any farther than I would like to throw them, they will represent a bulwark against the expected excesses of the Democrats in the House and the Harris administration.

Reece 11-04-20 10:52 PM

I feel for you Dave, fingers and toes crossed, I'm really hoping Trump will win! :yep: