SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Stories and Patrol Logs + Screenshots and Videos (merged) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=107786)

TorpX 02-16-12 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gi_dan2987 (Post 1839891)
However, my sub did not crush until I got to 3,500 feet. I don't know what happened, but I think I ran into a bug of some sort. Anybody got any suggestions?

The reason your hull didn't "crush" until 3,500 ft. is that there is a time lag between getting killed and the game informing you of the bad news. It sounds like you hit a mine, or perhaps an airplane dopped something on you.

gi_dan2987 02-16-12 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorpX (Post 1839955)
The reason your hull didn't "crush" until 3,500 ft. is that there is a time lag between getting killed and the game informing you of the bad news. It sounds like you hit a mine, or perhaps an airplane dopped something on you.

well I was only running at x1024 time compression... If it was a plane I would have heard an explosion, or the crew would have spotted the aircraft, you would think. This all occurred at night. It was silence, then it jumped to x8 TC and I got the flood of damage reports. Only the forward torpedo room flooded, but it still didn't show any hull damage. I don't know how mine encounters work in RFB 2.0, but that could be a possibility. I was about 500nm miles off Honshu... Did the Japs plant minefields out that far and in such deep of water?

Armistead 02-16-12 02:08 PM

I've never heard of a sub making it past 1200 ft before the game ended, 3500ft doesn't make sense. Even with TMO the crush depth is around 700ft for a Tench, you go past that you're dead regardless, once the breaking up sounds play, it's over, you may keep going down, but it takes about 12 secs more before you die. The deepest I've got is about 1200 ft in a out of control dive hitting 14kts due to the angle....course I was dead when I past crush depth of 700. RFB has historic crush depths, do usually around 500ft for the best subs.

Just remember if you're in an out of control dive use all the speed you can and go in the opposite direction of the dive, simply if you're going down by the bow, flank reverse, by the stern flank ahead. Use the P key for scope depth instead of manual setting depth, for some reason that will bring you up better than manual, if that doesn't work, blow tanks.

Running at that compression at night your crew may not have spotted a plane or ship, did you have air and surface radar. I don't play RFB, but without surface radar with TMO, it's easy to get blasted and not know it.
Usually the game lags a lil if you're in TC, letting you know something is in your contact zone.

I know of no mods that put mines to hit you of the surface, but still I haven't checked every minefield in every mod, most don't because it would also take out surface ships.

gi_dan2987 02-16-12 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armistead (Post 1840251)
I've never heard of a sub making it past 1200 ft before the game ended, 3500ft doesn't make sense. Even with TMO the crush depth is around 700ft for a Tench, you go past that you're dead regardless, once the breaking up sounds play, it's over, you may keep going down, but it takes about 12 secs more before you die. The deepest I've got is about 1200 ft in a out of control dive hitting 14kts due to the angle....course I was dead when I past crush depth of 700. RFB has historic crush depths, do usually around 500ft for the best subs.

Just remember if you're in an out of control dive use all the speed you can and go in the opposite direction of the dive, simply if you're going down by the bow, flank reverse, by the stern flank ahead. Use the P key for scope depth instead of manual setting depth, for some reason that will bring you up better than manual, if that doesn't work, blow tanks.

Running at that compression at night your crew may not have spotted a plane or ship, did you have air and surface radar. I don't play RFB, but without surface radar with TMO, it's easy to get blasted and not know it.
Usually the game lags a lil if you're in TC, letting you know something is in your contact zone.

I know of no mods that put mines to hit you of the surface, but still I haven't checked every minefield in every mod, most don't because it would also take out surface ships.

Just the way it plunged to the bottom, seemed to defy physics. I dunno. I guess I'll never know.

donalddawkins 02-16-12 06:56 PM

i got 97 problems but 3 carriers aint one

i will add more detail to my story if people want to know what ships i sunk and where i sunk them.Right now im too exhausted to actually give the proper names and so my facts may be a bit squiffy

Basically, my simple sub was given the task of patrolling the south china sea for enemy shipping, however, my radio man intercepted a jap task force closing in on our current position. I radioed in to command who then tasked me with the destruction of the jap fleet.

I immediately drop my sub to periscope depth, but as the sea level was so shallow i was unable to maintain high amounts of stealth. When the fleet was directly upon us i knew that the sub chasers had a bead on our position. I quickly fired multiple torpedoes at the the closest carriers i could see. Though i managed to acheive a successfuly sinking of one carrier fully laden with air craft. The second one i had fired upon was still clinging onto life. Tilting to one side in a vain attempt to cling onto life it became apparent i need to fire another torp into it's hull. Evading both air assault, depth charges and machine gun fire, i managed to direct my aim onto the carrier, delivering a shocking blow into its rear propellors. With no momentum kepping it afloat it slowly drfted to the bottom.

at this stage i was willing to slink away back from where my patrol had come from but my lust for tonnage meant i carried on, after successfully sinking one more carrier i was feeling quite good about myself. crash:damn::damn: "we got flooding!" was what i heard next as finally a sub chaser got a direct hit onto my sub, instantly ripping apart my fore torpedo loading bay, wounding and killing numerous crewmen. Thinking quickly i raised my periscope and found another destroyer closing directly behind me. With wavering heart i fired all i had left in my aft torpedo's into that ship,ready to face the inneveitable.

Luck was on my side that day, i watched as each torpedo hit home and the ship blitz into oblivion. All was not over yet, both my fore torpedo hull was heavily damged as well as it's adjoining part of the sub (I believe it may have been the engineering compartment) I knew that if i could not repair the hull breaches, the rest of the sub would start to flood, before finally drowning all of us. i quickly switched to silent running and dropped to the sea floor (only about 100 feet deep!), both to "play dead" and because my submarine had started to titanic a bit (tilt upwards). Hoping to god no depth charges would destroy my sub i waited what seemed to be days)

nO CHharges came and slowly but surely the flooding subsided with time. My sub was in an awful state as it rose to the surface (i had waited for the enemy ships to have sodded off) and i realised that my sub couldnt move! most of it's engines were shattered and my torpedo room inoperable! i dove to periscope depth and found that my sub could move it's right propellor. Not questioning this stroke of luck i hobbled back (to soribaiaeu?) only to get an operational report saying to switch bases to freemantle, australia!!! Reserving what fuel and energy i had left, i slowly hobbled my way back to base.

i had set out to engage shipping in the china sea, instead finding myself attacking 16000 ton carriers and succeeding as well as downing sub chaser as well.

@- i believe the ship i sunk wasnt a sub chaser but maybe a fuki-something destroyer (i will check and print screen my log if you need the peoper names)

i could also give info on what sub i had as well if anyone nedds the info.

im trying to print screen my log but it keeps pasting my desktop background, any ideas on how to chane that-until then i will relate the ships sunk: KMSSKINPOSAN-KMSS BIYO-KMCSZINBU-KLSSHAKUSIKA-SCSUBCHASER

Armistead 02-16-12 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gi_dan2987 (Post 1840338)
Just the way it plunged to the bottom, seemed to defy physics. I dunno. I guess I'll never know.

3500 ft.......sounds like a bug, never heard that, seems more the speed you plunged was bugged, did u notice, in all my playing never hit more than 14-16 kts going down

ddiplock 02-24-12 03:57 PM

Hey Armistead, what mods are you running to get those UI dials and that particular looking Periscope lense??

Cheers :D

ddiplock 02-24-12 04:00 PM

Those screenies look awesome!! Have to ask though, how did you get a US flag flying on your submarine when you are surfaced? Its a very minor thing, but one I would love to have :P

Armistead 02-24-12 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddiplock (Post 1844891)
Hey Armistead, what mods are you running to get those UI dials and that particular looking Periscope lense??

Cheers :D

TMO for dials, Maxoptics mod for scope.

ddiplock 02-24-12 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armistead (Post 1844941)
TMO for dials, Maxoptics mod for scope.

Ta very much.....got it installed now.....its amazing!!! It fills your entire screen and literally feels like you've got your eyes pressed into the scope, the water and such looks so close to the lense of the scope, the ships so big and juicy to sink ahahah :D

Nicolas 02-24-12 10:31 PM

Recently given command of a new submarine, i applied for transfer to Brisbane.
Here the 'documentary video'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD8oOedzJOs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Taqo6BjFqg

Nicolas 02-24-12 10:32 PM

Video from my last patrol:

ddiplock 02-25-12 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas (Post 1845028)
Recently given command of a new submarine, i applied for transfer to Brisbane.
Here the 'documentary video'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Taqo6BjFqg

Are you using just TMO 2.5 in these vids? Any RSRD mods with it Nick?? :)

Nicolas 02-25-12 07:02 AM

Yes TMO 2.5 campaign alone.
Realistic setting, except for no stabilize view.

This is my mod list:
1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
TMO_SubTextures_FooSkin
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
TBT filter green TMO 1.9 and Stock
TMO_Alt_engineSounds
Mi fix TMO 2.5, tweaks i made.

ddiplock 02-25-12 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas (Post 1845136)
Yes TMO 2.5 campaign alone.
Realistic setting, except for no stabilize view.

This is my mod list:
1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
TMO_SubTextures_FooSkin
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
TBT filter green TMO 1.9 and Stock
TMO_Alt_engineSounds
Mi fix TMO 2.5, tweaks i made.

Some cracking mods there, do you know where I can get the sub textures one?? Can't seem to find it on here anymore. :D I could get onto FooFighters website, but the download links for the skins don't seem to be active anymore :(

Thanks for the list skipper!! :up:

TorpX 02-26-12 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armistead (Post 1840251)

You're right about the 3000 ft. not making sense. I just chalk it up to the games idea of "drama", for lack of a better word. I'm sure you are dead before the boat reaches 1000 ft.; you just don't know it yet. The 3,500 ft. figure is likely so large, due to his suffering heavy damage and flooding in the bow, and plunging like an anchor to the bottom. :arrgh!:

gi_dan2987 02-26-12 01:57 AM

I've taken damage like that before, and never plunged that fast. I dunno what to think of it. It's done and over with now, so I'll just move on and start a new career :yeah:

Stealhead 03-02-12 01:24 AM

Some shots from Operation Monsun

Death of a Soviet Submarine.

I am running in U-23 a type IID U-boat out of Constanza in the Black Sea.I got a report of an enemy vessel sailing west about 100KM from Sevastopol so I adjusted my course to try and intercept several hours later at around 0100 hours one of the watch reports a sighting at 290 deg. I look though my binocs but can see nothing it is a moonless night so I jump on UBT and can just barely see a very small vessel. As I turn to set up take closer look and set up my shot I see that it is a Soviet sub on the surface!There is no data in the manual for Soviet subs so this was a tricky attack but I could see that he was heading due west and running a zig-zag pattern.I put him at around 10 knots.I tried to time it so that the fish would hit the sub at the highest speed part of his zag and the point that was the best AOB I fired two fish when he was at 2000m but I did not feel good about the shots so I fired a third torpedo about 10 seconds after the second.I was not overly concerned about the fish getting spotted they where all electrics so no wakes and I knew that the sub was deaf to underwater sounds while surfaced.

The first two fish ran past their time and missed I should have set the speed lower to compensate for subs variation in speed at certain points in his zig-zag pattern as I am thinking this and expecting the third fish to miss it hits the sub right in the fore torpedo room destroying him almost instantly. Not bad for little type IID.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/...054225_787.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/...054305_142.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/...054423_396.jpg

Armistead 03-02-12 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas (Post 1845029)

nice:yeah:

honus03 03-02-12 05:11 PM

Looking at all these screen shots makes me want to play again.