SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=221540)

Rockin Robbins 08-20-18 10:20 AM

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. Leave the last piece of cake for the bear.

The five mile circle could be done but it would gobble up every bit of memory you have on your computer for most people. The reason the 3,000 yard (1.5 mile) bearing compass isn't used by everyone is that it's a memory hog and ruins a lot of people's playing quality. A circle of 10,000 yards would be a killer. I also find with FOTRSU that a six mile circle is safer. Detection ranges vary with the mods you use and weather/sea conditions.

Aoogahman 08-21-18 01:45 PM

Yeah, I'll just have to grin and bear it!

I follow you with the memory usage, but you lost me on "3,000 yard bearing compass". I don't have a clue as to what that is. Hmmm. Correction: Yes I do! I was watching one of your other tutorials and suddenly there you were explaining all about it. Thanks again, got it now.

But otherwise, I've been attempting to keep the weather and sea state in mind when we have aircraft approaching the 5-mile limit. If they're at the edge of the circle, where we'd normally just remain at radar depth, and the the weather's clear and the sea's nearly flat, we go ahead and dip down to periscope depth just to be sure. It's working fine so far, thanks to your tutorial:salute:

yesterday, trying to vacate Jap waters, we had so many a/c harassing us that it was easier to just pull the plug and stay submerged until nightfall. Then we made a night run out of that particular area while charging up the batteries. No problems after that.

Rockin Robbins 06-15-19 12:39 PM

Well, folks, after three years of living without a computer running Windows, I've partially gone to the dark side and dedicated a carefully quarantined and defanged hard drive to again boot Windows when I want. This means I'll be able to reload SH4 and resume producing tactics tutorials and videos.

My intent for this thread was to be unique in all of Subsim by teaching boat handling, attack tactics and how to think about the World War II submarine war. This thread should be useful for any game based on World War II submarines and not constrained by the mechanics, quirks and old man-itis of Silent Hunter 4.

I enthusiastically and unapologetically champion the philosophies of Eugene Fluckey, Admiral Lockwood and Dick O'Kane in believing that the job of a submarine is to be dangerous, not hiding when no one is looking. I believe that the number of contacts developed is proportional to the number of square miles of ocean surface searched each day, and you can't do that submerged all day. I'm a royal pain and I hope you enjoy it.:D

Captain Dave 06-16-19 08:35 AM

I agree with you, only dive when necessary. Heck, I even take pot shots at aircraft from time to time.

Rockin Robbins 06-20-19 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Dave (Post 2614436)
I agree with you, only dive when necessary. Heck, I even take pot shots at aircraft from time to time.

OOOOOOO, that's against my religion. I look at it this way. To shoot at the plane, you must be on the surface, so you and the plane have about even odds of survival. So your hugely expensive submarine with 70 highly trained and difficult to replace crew aboard are duking it out with 50-50 chance with a cheap and quick to produce plane with maybe two people in it.

The cost-benefit ratio is just wacko. If you win, you don't win very much at all. They'll have a new plane and crew in the air in a week. But if you lose it will take months to produce a replacement submarine and probably years to develop a new crew with the proficiency of the one you lost.

Odds are even. Would you bet a million dollars against an opponent's 1 dollar, so you're playing for a dollar and he stands to win a million? Of course not, but that's the game when you take pot shots at aircraft.

Barkhorn1x 06-25-19 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2614358)
\I'm a royal pain and I hope you enjoy it.:D

Hey Rockin. Good to see you again. :Kaleun_Cheers:

Here is a link to a PDF file of 3 different attack methods that we worked on about 10 years ago.

https://mega.nz/#F!rvZ3EYhL

Rockin Robbins 06-25-19 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x (Post 2615740)
Hey Rockin. Good to see you again. :Kaleun_Cheers:

Here is a link to a PDF file of 3 different attack methods that we worked on about 10 years ago.

https://mega.nz/#F!rvZ3EYhL

Super! It's all locked up with a super secret encryption key though.

Barkhorn1x 06-26-19 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2615762)
Super! It's all locked up with a super secret encryption key though.

Crap! I'll work on a new link.

Barkhorn1x 06-26-19 11:58 AM

Try this one.

https://mega.nz/#!ivYy2Kwa!GpCxZUpdf...oxRe9OCCRNh0WQ

Rockin Robbins 06-27-19 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x (Post 2615859)

Works perfectly and is a great addition to the thread!:salute:

Drakken 07-13-19 06:16 PM

Well, having the submariner itch once again, I am now back into the hunt myself. Just finished installing FOTRSU and back to active duty! Always at 100% realism, of course, but I admit I have to refresh my target interception skills.

This time, while on patrol to send all those Jappo merchant ships down to Davey Jones' locker I'm also on the hunt for that elusive live carrier or battleship kill during the campaign. Even the Yamato, if I am lucky! I'm like that tanker hunting the White Tiger in that 2012 Russian movie of the same name - it's a personal mission.

Setting up and interception courses for warships has always been my Achilles' heel due to the usual distance of contact reports, their sheer speed, and their zig-zagging course. Any tip you might have for these situations are most welcome. That being said, such situations are great to learn how to perform vector attack solutions and the John P. Cromwell method. :Kaleun_Salute:

Majestik 909 12-08-20 01:10 PM

@RockinRobbins - You are still here!!!!

les green01 12-08-20 10:56 PM

RockinRobbins hadn't log in on subsim in a year

Majestik 909 12-09-20 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL...Ok, I didn't notice that....

Majestik 909 12-09-20 02:07 PM

Sank about 7 merchant ships this morning. First time back in game in a year to the day...

propbeanie 12-11-20 08:01 PM

Rumor has it that RR has been seen on the Facebook side of thangs, and might even do the Discord, though I haven't been there when he has, if he does...

Majestik 909 12-13-20 09:28 AM

Awesome...thanks...