SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   [TEC] Auto TDC Video Lesson Up (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163076)

simsurfer 03-04-10 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREWALL (Post 1292960)
Thx Malkuth74 :salute:

So the days of calculating speed on map, range with mast height from recog manual and such are over huh ?

In Auto TDC yes. You can still do manual TDC if you so wish.

gutted 03-04-10 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malkuth74 (Post 1292555)
So If I understand you correctly you will still hit the target if say the number 3 of the Merchant vessle falls inbetween the number 3 and 2 of your periscope numbers?

No in that case the in-between of your numbers needs to fall in the in-between of his numbers. Sounds funny when you read it but yes.

Example:
Halfway between 2 & 3 on your torpedo... lined up halfway between his 2 & 3. Again, regardless of torpedo speed.

SteamWake 03-04-10 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsurfer (Post 1292984)
In Auto TDC yes. You can still do manual TDC if you so wish.

Yea using that awsome recognition manual they gave us. :03:

Anyhow thanks for the efforts on the video !

PL_Andrev 03-04-10 11:53 AM

Good, but maybe 720p be better.

malkuth74 03-04-10 08:30 PM

Updated with another video on some advanced techniques with the TDC and Rear fire torpedos and the deck gun. :)

fallenyggdrasil 03-04-10 11:49 PM

I think of those people, playing their SH V, not knowing about the subsim.com forum.... how could they play with only their "manual" at hands???

Lt.Harper 03-05-10 04:02 AM

This is suppose to be their casual arcade style auto method? It's freaking confusing if you don't know whats going on. At least in SH4 you got the green carot and the red S would line up, just put scope on target and press fire when the S lights up. Simple.

Also, I know if torpedoes didn't hit at 90 degree for the germans they had problems, but if I recall for the americans, you needed to hit between 75-80 when on the fast setting otherwise the trigger would break itself from the impact instead of detonating...

malkuth74 03-05-10 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt.Harper (Post 1294935)
This is suppose to be their casual arcade style auto method? It's freaking confusing if you don't know whats going on. At least in SH4 you got the green carot and the red S would line up, just put scope on target and press fire when the S lights up. Simple.

Also, I know if torpedoes didn't hit at 90 degree for the germans they had problems, but if I recall for the americans, you needed to hit between 75-80 when on the fast setting otherwise the trigger would break itself from the impact instead of detonating...

I think they wanted to add a challenge to the game for even Auto TDC.

Once you understand the process it is very easy, because most of the time when you line up you 1, 2, or 3 with the merchant 1,2,3 you hit anytime and what seems at any angle with my test.

The problem comes when you can't use teh 1,2,3 because you either are not in the right range, or other reasons. Then you have to use the lines and guess the distance... Little more challenging and not guarenteed a hit.. But Its actually starting to grow on me a little.

Yskonyn 03-05-10 11:11 AM

Thank you for making these video's! :woot:

Frederf 03-05-10 07:18 PM

I find it rather distasteful that the "easy mode" of targeting has now introduced an entirely new branch of difficulty that has virtually no relation to the original process for which the easy mode was created.

It's like if you were learning to ride a bicycle but it was too hard so training wheels were applied. But the training wheels were boringly easy so an arbitrary difficulty was added to training wheels. The skill learned in dealing with these training wheels has absolutely no value to the cyclist that has graduated to not using training wheels at all.

Also one of the big features of a torpedo is its ability to turn after leaving the boat. Many aspects of the "full procedure" in targeting are about this. Is there any way to get a "turning shot" while using the easiest mode of targeting? Everything so far I've seen of auto TDC is that the torpedo is going to go straight ahead and you'd better aim with the submarine and time it right.

Capt.Warner 03-05-10 08:02 PM

Thanks a lot man.:woot::woot:

malkuth74 03-05-10 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederf (Post 1296540)
I find it rather distasteful that the "easy mode" of targeting has now introduced an entirely new branch of difficulty that has virtually no relation to the original process for which the easy mode was created.

It's like if you were learning to ride a bicycle but it was too hard so training wheels were applied. But the training wheels were boringly easy so an arbitrary difficulty was added to training wheels. The skill learned in dealing with these training wheels has absolutely no value to the cyclist that has graduated to not using training wheels at all.

Also one of the big features of a torpedo is its ability to turn after leaving the boat. Many aspects of the "full procedure" in targeting are about this. Is there any way to get a "turning shot" while using the easiest mode of targeting? Everything so far I've seen of auto TDC is that the torpedo is going to go straight ahead and you'd better aim with the submarine and time it right.

watch the 2nd video my friend. So yes you can do a 180 degree shot if you wish. My second video advanced procudures shows how to fire from the rear torpedo, and also use a fish from the foward torpedo tubes to hit. In this case the torpedo has to do a 90 degree turn both times. The only problem with this is that this type of fire procedure you have to go outside the connect the circles and start to use the Line as a judgment instead of the circles.

Yes its harder.. But some people like myself hate math, and the Manual way requires some math. The new method only seems hard until you realise that its really not. It just really strange at first. It has grown on me.

Of course if your looking for realism, then the Auto TDC in any version of SH is not the thing for you

longam 03-05-10 09:13 PM

Everyday the games grows on you, this info is a big help, thanks!

Deutschland 03-05-10 10:11 PM

Thanks, friend, it's a good help..

Frederf 03-06-10 12:11 AM

Ok, so the difference between the torpedo shooting straight no matter how the periscope moves and shooting where the periscope is pointing is done via some option? Your video doesn't cover this option which is rather important I would think.

Gavosh 03-06-10 02:47 AM

Outstanding; thankyou very much

most of my shots were missing using auto tdc even with a green arrow lol

perhaps I shall do better now :-)

Sgtmonkeynads 03-06-10 03:57 AM

Thanks, this made it easier now that I know what is going on.

But I noticed that instead of playing the old way [THE RIGHT WAY!!!!] where your looking through the scope all the time to lock and line up your shot, now I don't even use the scope, everything is about lineing up those dumb dots on your map.
The Green Arrow is from what I noticed, useless. Unless I am missing something ?

Good tutorial though, made my game playable.

Nufsed 03-06-10 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg5056 (Post 1292109)
Would anyone help me to dive the boat. Menu say crew on deck.
How do I get crew off deck.

First day trying to get game to work, very different then SH4

Thanks

You have to leave the bridge, and then give the order to dive. I know, it feels like you are abandoning your men, we need a clear the bridge order.

Gavosh 03-06-10 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavosh (Post 1297148)
Outstanding; thankyou very much

most of my shots were missing using auto tdc even with a green arrow lol

perhaps I shall do better now :-)

Sorry just had to say

Woot first perfect kill hahahahah

RickC Sniper 03-06-10 03:33 PM

Nice video. It should be very helpful to new players since the manual is no help at all.

You might want to mention opening outer doors though. I have very limited experience with this game yet but it seems that the doors are still relevent to accuracy. (IE, if I don't open them I hit a little bit aft of target)