SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   2009 SUBSIM Meet (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   2009 SUBSIM Meet in Copenhagen Announced! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=148714)

nikimcbee 02-27-09 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Gonna do my best!

Why bother? Everybody understands Texan!

Man, it would be awesome to have you there, Steve. Let me know what flights you find, so far I am looking at $850 RT flying in to Copehnhagen. I plan to arrive a day early and rent a car and take the 3 hours drive to Kiel to see the U-995, you are welcome to join me. :salute:

wait, how early is early?

McBeck 02-27-09 05:01 PM

Its more like a 6 hrs drive ;)

Chad 02-27-09 05:25 PM

Sounds exciting :)

Sailor Steve 02-27-09 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Gonna do my best!

Why bother? Everybody understands Texan!

Man, it would be awesome to have you there, Steve. Let me know what flights you find, so far I am looking at $850 RT flying in to Copehnhagen. I plan to arrive a day early and rent a car and take the 3 hours drive to Kiel to see the U-995, you are welcome to join me. :salute:

Gonna do my best!

No, wait, I already said that!

Anyway, it's true.

Onkel Neal 02-27-09 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBeck

Damn you, Google Maps, you lied to me. :shucks: 3:46

A day early, Jason, arriving on the morning of the 16th. My plans are still under development, I have not bought a ticket yet so we can coordinate this over the next few weeks.

Laboe, and the U-995: the last survivng Type VII U-boat in the world (worth talking about).

Thomen 02-27-09 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBeck

Damn you, Google Maps, you lied to me. :shucks: 3:46

A day early, Jason, arriving on the morning of the 16th. My plans are still under development, I have not bought a ticket yet so we can coordinate this over the next few weeks.

Laboe, and the U-995: the last survivng Type VII U-boat in the world (worth talking about).

Isn't there another type VII in Chicago? The U-995 is the last VIIC/41 as far as I remember.

Well anyways, if I should be able to make it, I'm gonna swing by Laboe for the memorial/U-995 and Bremerhaven, for U-2540. Either on my way up or back.

Onkel Neal 02-27-09 06:40 PM

Although Wolfgang Peterson kept referring to the U-505 as a Type VII all throught the Das Boot director's commentary, I'm pretty sure it is a Type IX.

Are you German, Thomen? Would it make more sense for me to fly in to Hamburg, take a car to Kiel, then on to Copenhagen?

Thomen 02-27-09 06:48 PM

Quote:

Although Wolfgang Peterson kept referring to the U-505 as a Type VII all throught the Das Boot director's commentary, I'm pretty sure it is a Type IX.

Are you German, Thomen? Would it make more sense for me to fly in to Hamburg, take a car to Kiel, then on to Copenhagen?

Yep, I am. Although I have not been in Kiel or north Germany for around 18 years. You will have to drive the distance anyways, so it does not really matter. Problem can be for the flight back, tho. You will have to get back to Hamburg. Personally, I would probably stick with Copenhagen.

EDIT:
Indeed, 505 was type IX
http://www.uboat.net/boats/u505.htm

Havent watch the commentary yet, so can't comment on what he says.

EDIT 2:
If possible, see if you can get a ticket for either to Hamburg and back through Copenhagen, or into Hamburg and Copenhagen for the flight back. That ought to be the best solution, but the Airlines really do not like stuff like that.

A Very Super Market 02-27-09 06:49 PM

Neal, I'm no German (Or Dane), but wouldn't it be better to take a boat to Copenhagen? Or a direct plane flight?

Onkel Neal 02-27-09 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomen
Quote:

Yep, I am. Although I have not been in Kiel or north Germany for around 18 years. You will have to drive the distance anyways, so it does not really matter. Problem can be for the flight back, tho. You will have to get back to Hamburg. Personally, I would probably stick with Copenhagen.

EDIT 2:
If possible, see if you can get a ticket for either to Hamburg and back through Copenhagen, or into Hamburg and Copenhagen for the flight back. That ought to be the best solution, but the Airlines really do not like stuff like that.

Yeah, I really don't hold out much hope for a DC to Hamburg/Copenhagen to DC lineup, but that would be so cool!. I think you are right, just a flight into Cop. then arrange a car to zip over to Kiel, see Das Boot, then return to Cop.

I've been waiting to see U-995 since I was 9...about 40 years! :woot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Very Super Market
Neal, I'm no German (Or Dane), but wouldn't it be better to take a boat to Copenhagen? Or a direct plane flight?

Better for me from Houston? Or better for you from...where are you again??
Or do you mean a boat from Cop. to Kiel and back?

Please be more clear, you know, I never passed Mindreading 101. :arrgh!:

mapuc 02-27-09 07:53 PM

you can be asure that I will be coming.

I live just a stonethrough from Copenhagen, in a town called Landskrona is located on the other side of Copenhagen.

Can't wait to meet you all

Regards
Markus

A Very Super Market 02-27-09 08:04 PM

I meant from Kiel to Copenhagen on a boat, though I'm sure there are airways from Copenhagen to Houston. As for me, I can't go, since I'm still in high school :O:

Thomen 02-27-09 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Very Super Market
I meant from Kiel to Copenhagen on a boat, though I'm sure there are airways from Copenhagen to Houston. As for me, I can't go, since I'm still in high school :O:

Fastest from Copenhagen to Kiel seems to be the ferrie from Puttgarden, Germany to Roedby, Denmark.

{1.SS}Eberhardt 02-28-09 03:00 AM

I am bent on finding a way to make it to this meeting.
Given the current economy, my wallet is hurtin for certain. I hope i get on a scallop boat this summer, thats my only way aboard this meeting. :D
Cross your fingers and root for me, and come summer time ill give you a sitrep on if ill be attending or not.

Hitman 02-28-09 04:42 AM

Subsim meet in Europe with visit to U-995??

COUNT ME IN :yeah:

Von Hinten 02-28-09 04:43 AM

Okay, there's just no avoiding this now. Being from Holland, I'll do my very best to get there. And this would be an excellent chance to let my old '66 Volvo Amazon finally see 'the homeland' (mine was built in Belgium of all places LOL) so you can count me in, and possibly a fellow captain as well. :salute:

Lurchi 02-28-09 05:45 AM

I'll think i join the Meeting too.

I'll drive by car from Wilhelmshaven via Hamburg to Copenhagen so i may pick up guys at the airport. U-995 is on the way so it should be possible to visit it on the way to Copenhagen or back to Hamburg - i did so 2 years ago:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2333/img2767.th.jpg http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8716/img2768.th.jpg http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7341/img2771.th.jpg

Zakalwe 02-28-09 05:50 AM

Neal (and others considering visiting Laboe),

you might want to consider flying to Hamburg, going with the train to Kiel (ca. 1,5 hours) and again with the train to Kopenhagen (around 5 1/2 hours). Trains from Hamburg to Kiel are going around every hour, from Kiel to Kopenhagen I think there are around 5 connections a day. Just a hint. Here is a trip planner from the Deutsche Bahn:

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

Anyway, I still don`t know if I`ll make it to the subsim meeting, but if some are planning to meet in Laboe I might meet you there, since it`s only 30 km from here.

Greets

Z.

Hitman 02-28-09 07:45 AM

One more thing: Neal, you could set-up a separated thread for those guys who will go to U-995. I think it would be good to coordinate it in a manner we could make the visit together, then go to Copenhagen. :shucks:

McBeck 02-28-09 07:49 AM

Your right Neal...its not the long way around.

I would love to join you in Kiel, but considering im the host, I think I will be very busy the day before the meet.

The cheapest ( if you dont already have a car) would probably be to use the trains to Copenhagen.

The cheapest flights accros the atlantic will probably hold a stop in Frankfurt, Holland or UK depending on what airline you use.

Heres some pointers:
KLM (Holland) www.klm.com
Lufthansa (German) www.lufthansa.com
SAS (Scandinavian) www.sas.dk This airline will have direct flights to Copenhagen from some US Airports including Dulles and New York.
Furthermore SAS, Lufthansa and United are in a group called Star Alliance (http://www.staralliance.com/baseAction.do?language=) where you can earn a great deal of flyer miles.