SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Crash Dive & Crash Dive II (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=270)
-   -   New game: Crash Dive (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=213944)

Julke 06-17-14 01:43 PM

Unit of speed

PanicEnsues: 1st of all thank you. After Pacific Fleet another great simulator! I found it today, bought it, played it :) It's really fantastic.

I have just one remark. The speed is mentioned in m/s. The maximum surfaced speed of VII C is 17,7 knots (source wiki, not overloaded engines), that is 9 m/s. In game, I can travel 12 m/s on surface, that is 23,2 knots. Is it like this by purpose?

Cheers, Julius

v-i-c- 06-17-14 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julke (Post 2217206)
PanicEnsues: 1st of all thank you. After Pacific Fleet another great simulator! I found it today, bought it, played it :) It's really fantastic.

I have just one remark. The speed is mentioned in m/s. The maximum surfaced speed of VII C is 7,7 knots (source wiki), that is 3,9 m/s. In game, I can travel 12 m/s on surface, that is 23,2 knots. Is it like this by purpose?

Cheers, Julius

The maximum surface speed of a Type VIIC is 17.7 knots (9.1 m/s) at AK. And 18.x knots when overloaded (480/490 RPM) - your 7.7 knots sounds like E-Machines (8 knots submerged and 10.5 knots on the surface at AK)

Julke 06-17-14 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-i-c- (Post 2217208)
The maximum surface speed of a Type VIIC is 17.7 knots (9.1 m/s) at AK. And 18.x knots when overloaded (480/490 RPM) - your 7.7 knots sounds like E-Machines (8 knots submerged and 10.5 knots on the surface at AK)

You are right. I did a mistake, now the entry is corrected. Thank you for correction.

PanicEnsues 06-17-14 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julke (Post 2217211)
You are right. I did a mistake, now the entry is corrected. Thank you for correction.

Julke,

You're right, there is some number-fudging going on, the most obvious being the substitution of "knots" with "m/s". At the time I did that, I didn't think most players would have a frame of reference for knots, so your surface speed is 18 knots, but it's displayed as 18 m/s.

In hindsight, I wish I had left it (and may change it back) because the numbers only matter in relative terms ("am I faster or slower than that ship?").

The other fudge is making the submerged speed exactly half that of the surface speed, which is for gameplay clarity purposes.

Regards,

-Scott

Karok 06-18-14 09:13 PM

Too fast?

First, let me say how happy I am to finally have a great sub simulator on my iPad! I think this is a great release, and will get a lot of attention in the App Store.

I've already had a lot of fun in career mode, as well as a few single missions. My only complaint, which may just be a sign of my age...is that the sim seems to be too fast for me. It's as if I'm playing on 2x or 4x, when I'm really only on 1x.

To me, submarine combat is like a chess game, slow, calculated moves. But Crash Dive is moving a bit fast. I do understand that this is not supposed to be a full on simulator, but I really would like an option to slow it down to half speed or quarter speed in comparison to what 1x is.

Of course we want/need to pick up the pace outside of an engagement, but the ships are moving around pretty darn quickly when you are in combat.

Am I alone in this thought, or do others feel the same way?

arkroyal 06-19-14 03:50 AM

Hi Scott It Look's a great game,keep up the good work:salute:

Regards

v-i-c- 06-19-14 07:10 PM

I wonder why you don't use more of the ships from the Asset Store package you are using. (especially the german ones) Will we see a pacific theater soon? You could use the japanese ships that you should already have from the package.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2726

A funny side note: I've asked Mighty Vertex Games if they could create some WW2 ships for the Asset Store or what it would costs to hire them to create 3D Models for me (to speed up things). They've released this package a few weeks later (but I never bought it because the style does not fit to my own models)

pzgndr 06-20-14 07:14 AM

Got it. Played a mission last night. Thank you!

FWIW, I would also prefer to see everything in knots, like every other subsim I've played. I'll look forward to whatever improvements come along.

PanicEnsues 06-20-14 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-i-c- (Post 2217822)
I wonder why you don't use more of the ships from the Asset Store package you are using. (especially the german ones) Will we see a pacific theater soon? You could use the japanese ships that you should already have from the package.

Just because I wanted to make a game where you play as a German U-boat commander, so I couldn't have the player sinking their own ships. If I ever do a sequel, it will probably be as a U.S. Gato-class sub in the Pacific.

PanicEnsues 06-20-14 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pzgndr (Post 2217967)
Got it. Played a mission last night. Thank you!

FWIW, I would also prefer to see everything in knots, like every other subsim I've played. I'll look forward to whatever improvements come along.

I remembered why I went with m/s: Ranges are given in m, so for players who are doing mental math to calculate travel times, m/s makes that easier.

I still may change it to knots, but that was my logic at the time.

Aktungbby 06-20-14 02:55 PM

Welcome Aboard

Valdamant and Karok!:Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna 06-21-14 07:45 AM

Welcome to SubSim Valdamant and Karok :sunny:

Chad 06-21-14 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-i-c- (Post 2217822)
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2726

A funny side note: I've asked Mighty Vertex Games if they could create some WW2 ships for the Asset Store or what it would costs to hire them to create 3D Models for me (to speed up things). They've released this package a few weeks later (but I never bought it because the style does not fit to my own models)

These models are awesome, but the $275 is an awfully large amount.

If it was half that amount I would be definitely interested.

arkroyal 06-22-14 02:02 AM

Bought it and played, Great Game Scott:salute:

Regards

Julke 06-22-14 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicEnsues (Post 2218052)
I remembered why I went with m/s: Ranges are given in m, so for players who are doing mental math to calculate travel times, m/s makes that easier.

I still may change it to knots, but that was my logic at the time.

In real life it is always big mess with many different units. Nautical miles are used for sailed distance, knots for speed, meters for calculating distance from the object or for depth measurement, m/s can be used for wind speed. At least for me this "mess" sounds quite normal. So if I see m/s unit for speed of sub, I am totaly lost, I don't know how fast I am :)

TorpX 06-23-14 01:32 AM

I ran into the same thing when I used to do ballistic calculations. Wind speeds are usually given in knots or m.p.h., but it made more sense math wise to have them in ft./sec., the units used for velocity.

Here you are better off:
1 m/s = ~ 2 knots

or more precisely...

1 m/s = 1.9438 kt.

mikedora 06-23-14 02:27 AM

I'm one of those enjoying Crash Dive on my iPad, but I have one gameplay question: in Single Mission mode, how do you end the mission?

Several times in this mode I've encountered a convoy, sunk 3-4-5 ships, and successfully escaped the counterattacks, but I haven't figured out then how to "close" the mission & record a success...

What am I missing please?

Mike

PanicEnsues 06-23-14 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedora (Post 2218639)
I'm one of those enjoying Crash Dive on my iPad, but I have one gameplay question: in Single Mission mode, how do you end the mission?
What am I missing please?

Well, crap. Looks like you're missing what everyone else (including me) is missing: The "Disengage" button, which is not showing up in the single mission mode menu. It's a bug; thanks for catching that, and I'll fix it ASAP.

Regards,

-Scott

mikedora 06-23-14 05:14 PM

Thanks Scott,

I thought I was going senile or something! Thing is, I started with the Single Missions to get the hang of the game, and because of this hang-up I hadn't progressed to the War Patrol yet..

Cheers

Mike

Eburlh 06-23-14 10:10 PM

Crash Dive

Love the game!! About time a good one came out. :yeah:

I would love it if you could add a campaign to the patrol. It would be great if it would last longer!! Other than that, no suggestions!! Great game!!

e