SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter Online (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   A CALL TO UBISOFT GUYS ! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=218160)

TorpX 02-21-15 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenRivet (Post 2289754)
the bottom line is though, and i think this is a point neal was trying to make:

Simulations in general, and more specifically submarine simulations are a really niche market. ...

Ok, niche market, I get it. I've heard that phrase a thousand times since I've visited this site. I can understand fewer companies making sub sims. I can understand a longer development cycle in sub sims. I just don't consider it to be a blanket excuse for poor products/support.

Quote:

my stepson was watching me play SH3 ...
"This game is like watching paint dry... i really just dont know how you play it."
Ok, but how old is your stepson? Young boys often do not naturally take to activities that are slower paced, and require strategy and patience. Many consider chess to be boring, but the game has managed to survive somehow.

A understand the argument about more people eat hamburgers, than eat filet mignon, but those who do, don't have to settle for rotten, parasite infested cuts.

Btw, I think there is a vein of complacency that runs through the software industry in general. [Yes, you too Microsoft.] They don't seem to want to put out a first-rate product; as if they don't really need to.

Quote:

And it is speaking volume when next to nobody compares the newer SHs favorably to the older ones.
Well put, Phrixus. :up:

Downunderjock 02-22-15 01:59 AM

As GoldenRivet said.

As GoldenRivet quoted the other day.

Look at Steam. For example.

Esp. When they or gamers, tag games as "Simulators" in their Stores section.

Most Sims now are games, not Sims, now days.
Look at the amount of First Shooter Games, not just from Steam, either.

Some, are not about, planning, or plotting, or weather (or in the case of space one's, solar weather etc.) affecting you or your character or vehicle.

But to be fair, some point and click games, like other types, aren't all about point and shoot.

I also, like some that don't require you to kill a target, all the time.

Like: Take on Mars, Julia beyond the stars. Ship Sim and Train Sim and even that is changing to a more arcade type game. See their forum and they will tell you similar.

But getting back to the point, as GoldenRivet and others, have pointed out. It's sad that Sunsims, are going by the way side.
And Fleet type, is going in a FPS only direction that not even they, like how you all play SH series, where you have to locate plot, courses, make ready your sub, for your target. Noting that weather and even ocean currents subs movements can affect your eel, making it's mark.

But, that seems, to be the thing, with games out there, now.

Erdem 02-22-15 06:10 PM

Ubisoft is having way more success focusing on its AAA franchises like Assasins Creed and Far Cry. Why would they bother making sequels to a franchise of a dead genre? How many hardcore subsimmers are out there to justify millions of dollars of development costs? They're out of the simulation market for good.

They'll put the IP to sleep for sure. The only salvation is if an indie developer decides to develop its own submarine simulator.

GoldenRivet 02-23-15 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorpX (Post 2290019)

I just don't consider it to be a blanket excuse for poor products/support.

Its not, We had a great "vanilla" out of the box product with SH3. But, we were going from SH2... to a product far superior to its predecessor.

We have not had a subsim far superior to its predecessor in SH4, SH5 or SHO

Quote:

Ok, but how old is your stepson? Young boys often do not naturally take to activities that are slower paced, and require strategy and patience. Many consider chess to be boring, but the game has managed to survive somehow.

19 years old, and a lover of mathematics - someone you think would enjoy the idea of plotting an attack solution, mashing the fire button, and seeing the fruits of his strategy laden labors in the explosion of an ammunition ship.

Yet alas he doesnt seem to enjoy it

we have to accept that we are the minority, and there are few in the industry that cater to the minority

Quote:

A understand the argument about more people eat hamburgers, than eat filet mignon, but those who do, don't have to settle for rotten, parasite infested cuts.

Well in that scenario you are comparing apples to oranges... or more precisely fast food burgers to a premium cut of steak

quality aside... companies like ubisoft arent looking at what Goldenrivet, or TorpX or SailorSteve wants. they have a business to run. Ubisoft is looking at a LOT of sales data telling them what types of games most buyers are buying. I dont know where Submarine Simulations sit on the list... but im betting its not in the top 10... probably not even in the top 20

so their efforts focus on those types of games which is why we end up with garbage

Quote:

I think there is a vein of complacency that runs through the software industry in general. [Yes, you too Microsoft.] They don't seem to want to put out a first-rate product; as if they don't really need to.

and you're absolutely right, but the vein of complacency doesn't stop with the software / gaming industry. Complacency affecting the bottom line and the end product can literally be found in almost ANY industry these days.

I hate for my posts to come across that im defending Ubisoft, because really... im not... im just telling it how it is.

Sooner or later, a company is going to have to specialize in making and selling to the simulation crowd exclusively OR we are going to have to crowd fund serious capable designers to create an easily modifiable easily supported subsim for us.

the alternative is the death of the simulation game genre... a genre on its last leg

want proof?

lets just look at what a simulation gameis: as simulation game attempts to copy some facet of real life via game software that the user plays in order to recreate a real life interaction or function.

Go to steam and look under the "simulation game genre"

an overwhelming majority of those simulators are dumbed down to the point of being ridiculous - or dont even belong in the category at all.

most of them are as realistic a representation of their respective activities as the old arcade game "Burgertime" is a realistic representation of working at a fast food joint.

why are these games in the sim genre this way?

game manufacturers are trying to appeal to a wider audience by making the game more approachable and easier to pick up and run with. Simulation games when i was a kid required a lot of reading, studying and learning before achieving any skill capable of making the simulation perform as it should.

we live in the instant gratification era and folks like you and I are surrounded by instant-gratification-zombies... as long as there are more of them than there are us the kinds of games that are dominating the market right now will continue to do so indefinitely

TorpX 02-23-15 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erdem (Post 2290292)
Why would they bother making sequels to a franchise of a dead genre?

Indeed, they are the ones who killed it.

People here have often said a good sub sim doesn't bring in enough players. But how do they know? There hasn't been a good one since SHCE.

GoldenRivet 02-23-15 01:06 AM

Others will tell you there hasnt been a good subsim since SH4... others will say everything since Aces of the Deep was garbage and a waste of time

the problem with statements like.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorpX (Post 2290334)
There hasn't been a good one since SHCE.

.... is that they are opinion and conjecture

but when it comes to Ubisoft and the like...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorpX (Post 2290334)
But how do they know?

they have sales data that we dont

simplified as the below example might be, i think its a good one

GOLDENRIVET'S SODA STAND SALES ANALYSIS

BEVERAGE EARNINGS UNITS SHIPPED
Vanilla Soda................... $26.50................... 106 (sold out)
Cherry Soda................... $18.25................... 73
Grape Soda.................... $13.75................... 55
Root Beer.......................$12.25................. .. 49
U-Boat Special Cocktail....... $3.50 ................ 14

based on the above information we have decided that it makes better sense to cease production of the U-Boat special cocktail and take the personnel responsible for making it and transfer them to making vanilla and cherry soda

this is exactly whats happening to subsims at places like UBI and i think calling on them for help is not our best shot

Julhelm 02-23-15 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenRivet (Post 2288892)
the thing that bothers me about what few upcoming naval combat sims that do exist is that they are geared toward portable gaming (ipad, iphone, android) and this cell phone game feel carries over when they move the game to a PC format. what you end up with feels less like a simulation... or less like an in depth game... and more like something you would waste time playing while waiting for your flight to board at the airport.

Take pacific fleet for example. turn based strategy game at its finest. but it isnt even in the same ball park as the silent hunter series. Move. Aim. Shoot. your turn. compared to the silent hunter series where solutions must be plotted, crews managed, hunting grounds carefully selected... Pacific Fleet, while a fun game within its genre, by comparison is just tic tac toe with ships.

To be fair, Pacific Fleet was never intended as an ultra-hardcore simulation. However the majority of the feedback we got was that customers want more realism, not less. That's why in Atlantic Fleet we've focused on taking what simulation we had and making it more realistic, with higher fidelity systems damage, better ballistics and armor penetration, simulated firecontrol table and so on.

I don't necessarily agree that portable gaming has to be bad or less than on the PC. You should remember that before we released Pacific Fleet, there was pretty much no serious naval games outside of Battleship clones on the platforms. It is very hard for a small self-funded team to compete on PC with the demands for realism and graphics fidelity that platform has. And with WOTA the mobiles will have what will probably be the most realistic Type VII simulation ever.

GoldenRivet 02-23-15 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julhelm (Post 2290409)
To be fair, Pacific Fleet was never intended as an ultra-hardcore simulation.

No certainly not and I'm by no means knocking a product that i myself have purchased and had countless hours of fun playing. Pacific Fleet rocks, its fun, it looks good, it plays well and i literally have nothing bad to say about it at all in the least

Quote:

the majority of the feedback we got was that customers want more realism, not less. That's why in Atlantic Fleet we've focused on taking what simulation we had and making it more realistic, with higher fidelity systems damage, better ballistics and armor penetration, simulated firecontrol table and so on.

Im foaming at the mouth to get my hands on Atlantic fleet

Quote:

I don't necessarily agree that portable gaming has to be bad or less than on the PC. You should remember that before we released Pacific Fleet, there was pretty much no serious naval games outside of Battleship clones on the platforms. It is very hard for a small self-funded team to compete on PC with the demands for realism and graphics fidelity that platform has. And with WOTA the mobiles will have what will probably be the most realistic Type VII simulation ever.

I agree, and comparing something like pacific fleet to an in depth silent hunter type game is really apples to oranges.

but for those looking for something in depth and hard core, currently some of the naval games available aren't filling the void (not that they are intended to)

for those of you who have iphone or ipad etc and have not tried Pacific Fleet

you are missing out:rock:

Bilge_Rat 03-02-15 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 2289695)
My 2 cents: Ubisoft put their backs into SH3 and SH4, and were on the way with SH5 before their resources were exhausted before completion. Say what you will about them, they gave us the best WWII submarine simulations, really the only WWII subsims, since 1997.

Making a high fidelity simulation that will please just a fraction of the high demands and expectations of the customers is resource intensive, and that means expensive. When the sales don't add up to a profit, well, there's no business in losing money.

:agree:

exactly, game development is a business. At the end of the day, the company has to make a profit.

And as to expecting anything from Ubisoft, I still remember 2010 when a large and vocal part of the community did everything they could to scuttle SH5 and hoped Ubisoft would drop the franchise so that other developpers would rush in.

well you got your wish...but 5 years on, I still don't see anyone rushing in to fill the void....

:Kaleun_Binocular:

makman94 03-02-15 04:26 PM

do a search in this site and have a look at W.O.T.A.

Jimbuna 03-02-15 05:36 PM

Quote:

My 2 cents: Ubisoft put their backs into SH3 and SH4, and were on the way with SH5 before their resources were exhausted before completion. Say what you will about them, they gave us the best WWII submarine simulations, really the only WWII subsims, since 1997.

Making a high fidelity simulation that will please just a fraction of the high demands and expectations of the customers is resource intensive, and that means expensive. When the sales don't add up to a profit, well, there's no business in losing money.

Pretty much agree :yep:

AVGWarhawk 03-04-15 03:04 PM

Quote:

I concur.

Vonross 04-10-15 12:10 AM

oops your wrong they can take your life.... However they can,t take your houner

:sunny:
Quote:

Originally Posted by makman94 (Post 2292993)
do a search in this site and have a look at W.O.T.A.

Devin Seay 04-17-15 08:14 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm pretty sure the Silent Hunter 5 was the last Silent Hunter game they'll ever be. I mean, Silent Hunter 5 was just embarrassment all around. Grant it, it had pretty good graphics and I loved the crew and walk around implementation. However, SH5 just didn't deliver at all.

Silent Hunter 5 was rushed and unfinished and that's why it failed.

THEBERBSTER 04-18-15 12:25 PM

Hi DS

It's 2015 things have moved on a lot over the years.

We have vecko with his The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod.

I would say that is success not failure.

Let's look forward for once from a dismal past to a bright future.

Peter

Kessner 04-20-15 02:14 AM

I always thought it would have been cool if they did a advanced version of SH3. kind of like this...

>you still get your navel academy...

>Like sh5 you can move about the boat in full, also you can interact with the crew members just the same, but more and different dialog as the time goes on. The type 2, type 7, type 9, and type 21 would be available with this ability. They also be able to dive to the depths and work in this manner like in SH3. You also will be able to Port for re-fuel, and re-stock like in SH5 as well at sea the same with a re-supply type 9.

>better models for better actions, like when you dive, the NPC react like they should at stations and turning and throwing levers to dive. Since during a dive you have a pause point anyway which will let it be possible for the tower to be cleared seeing the men come down the ladder.
Crash dive will be the same but you see the NPC move faster, sliding down the ladder going to station or crew moving to the front of the boat.
During operations or depth charge attacks crew members may appear to see what's up, or gather in the control room having different reactions.

>You can move into a better boat, but not by buying it. Your game performance will move you up into it. For example, lets say your putting in a type 2, you did well and now you get to port and meet a guy who offers you a choice to move up into a newer type 2, and if you did really good, also type 7 or 9. You would choose the one you want and in a build time you will get it lets say after a few more patrols, because it is getting built. Something like that. You can also go to a crew selection section like in SH3, Enlist, give awards and so forth. You still be able to upgrade the boat.

>The game layout is still a open campaign war map like SH3 were you have patrol grids, except sometimes you can get orders to have you relocate to do other operations if you choose to do it once your patrol is finished. You start at port similar to SH5, except you can get assigned to either a grid patrol or choose to take a OP mission with out the hard luck story. For Example lets say you choose OPs, based on your boat you will get a OPs assignment, like if you have a type 7 may have to go take pics in Norway ports or something, or if your in the type 9 you have to deliver agents into Canada or the US. Or if you do a typical patrol, well it is just a ride to a patrol grid for 24 hours. You complete it and send in a patrol report before you go in. get a probability % for a new patrol grid, OPs assignment or wolf pack support, or a return to base...you can see were I am going with this..

>Patrol grid locations are assigned based on the boats anyway, so your assigned patrol grids will be based on that. Type 2 is a local costal U-boat, so charts will be based on its distance for that. Type 7 is a medium attack boat, so grid charts will be based on its distance, and the type 9 is ocean going, so it will get its grid charts based on that, and so forth. The charts will also be effective based on the Model as well, such as type 7 b may not end up using the same charts for the C because the newer ones could go farther.

>if your boat is badly damaged or something in a manner were you can't do anything except dive to hide and unable to get to a near German port. You can send a help message for this and get someone sent to you. Pending how bad will decide that repairs to get to the nearest port or a tow to the main port. But on the same take the allies also progress during the war, a help message could also bring trouble.

>Once at port, hull damage could be repaired as well as the boat itself. There is a time period against you for this. The more damage it is, the longer the port time.

>You can request a transfer to a different flotilla, or if the flotilla is disbanded, instead like in SH3 were your at the bottom of the map some place. instead, under a probability % and the flotilla is going to be disbanded you will get distributed to other flotillas. If you are out at sea, you will get a message to direct you to go. If not a flotilla then a port of location doing operations under Kriegsmarine.

Something like this...:06:

Skytracker 04-26-15 08:01 AM

Quote:

It has become obvious when you analyze their later products that at a certain point Ubisoft decided to put alot of engineering into making their games not replayable. There's all kinds of ways they can do that.

In other words, a subsim like a good tactical shooter, have alot of replayability to them. The very essence of these types is conductive for the Players to be invested in them, mostly due to their communities as observed here. Why would they make a game for the next five years when they can sale you five games every year? Giving a little of what you want every time yet being extremelly carfull not to offer the full package to endup with a corporate disaster like GhostRecon or RvS, where Players still play those to this day.

They are not into making or publishing video games. They are into making money for them and the shareholders. No solution will ever come form Ubisoft unless they crash first. Then maybe things will change for a short period.

THEBERBSTER 04-26-15 06:44 PM

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Skytracker :subsim:
You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You :sunny:
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link. :salute:
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community :yeah:
Tonnage Bar Fix For Those Not Using TWOS In My Tutorial Post #188 :/\\!!

BigBANGtheory 04-27-15 01:34 PM

Quote:

Eagle Dynamics with DCS managed it :know:

Ubisoft showed us some immense skill in software/games development in many areas then totally ballzd up the customer care, you can't sell an unfinished product, drop all support and expect people to be happy about it. The ammount of reputation damage they got from Cliffs of Dover and SH must be pretty costly. Ubisoft is anti-consumer imho

Aktungbby 04-29-15 01:47 AM

welcome aboard!

Devin Seay!:Kaleun_Salute:A bit belatedly; pardon our poor manners! :k_confused: