SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   My personal top 5 submarine movies (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=184263)

Gerald 06-06-11 05:15 PM

But just barely. :O:[/QUOTE] I can well understand, :DL

Schwieger 06-06-11 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard313 (Post 1676918)
...It's just a little.....long for my tastes.

What is the difference between watching uncut version of Das Boot and spending a few hours with SH3? :hmmm:

frau kaleun 06-06-11 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwieger (Post 1678888)
What is the difference between watching uncut version of Das Boot and spending a few hours with SH3? :hmmm:

Getting to look at real live men getting all scruffy and sweaty, as opposed to a monotonous virtual crew that's not even remotely fap-worthy*? :O:

*My navigator not included.**

**Wait, did I just think that or did I type it out loud?

Sailor Steve 06-06-11 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwieger (Post 1678888)

Das Boot: Loads a whole lot faster.

SH3: Doesn't have the same scenes every time you play it.

Das Boot: Has a real mock-up u-boat.

SH3: You don't know what comes next.

Das Boot: Has real actors who sound like real men, as opposed to fakey-sounding voice actors.

SH3: I use the Das Boot Sound mod, so there is no difference.

So Das Boot is much better than SH3 when I want to watch a good movie, and SH3 is much better than Das Boot when I want to do it myself.

Gerald 06-07-11 05:11 AM

:salute:

Platapus 06-07-11 07:29 PM

Well at least no one mentioned Crash Dive.

Yes, Steve, I know it has your S Boats in colour. :D

Forced to choose between watching U571 and Crash Dive, I would reluctantly choose U571. And I hate U571. :yep:

TLAM Strike 06-07-11 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus (Post 1679580)

Ugh!!!! I watched that for about 15 minutes (right up until the one guy is on the train) and had to turn it off. I know its propaganda but didn't anyone seriously believe this stuff?

Gerald 06-07-11 09:33 PM

What stuff, :cool:

Castout 06-10-11 06:27 AM

I vouch for Das Boot(what else :)), The Hunt of the Red October and K-13 which is while not a battle action ridden movie is trying to accurately depict a Soviet crew historical ordeal on that particular submarine.

That's it and down periscope for funny sub movie.

Schwieger 06-10-11 02:26 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned Torpedo Run. Has to be one of my favourites.

Platapus 06-11-11 07:50 AM

Torpedo Run is also a good one!

One WWII sub movie I missed for a long time was Hellcats of the Navy.

Silly me, I thought it was a movie about WWII fighters, specifically the F6F. Then I noticed it in a store and I realized that I had neglected my Sub collection! :damn:

It is not bad. Any movie with Ronald Reagan has low expectations. But this one was not too bad.

Sailor Steve 06-11-11 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus (Post 1679580)

Yes, Steve, I know it has your S Boats in colour. :D

Forced to choose between watching U571 and Crash Dive, I would reluctantly choose U571. And I hate U571. :yep:

Do you always post without bothering to read the thread first?

Sailor Steve 06-11-11 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLAM Strike (Post 1679637)
Ugh!!!! I watched that for about 15 minutes (right up until the one guy is on the train) and had to turn it off. I know its propaganda but didn't anyone seriously believe this stuff?

I never said otherwise. I keep it just for the boat footage unavailable anywhere else in the world.

Cohaagen 06-13-11 11:29 AM

Above Us The Waves, a superb John Mills film about a British submarine's mission to sink a German pocket battleship. While the technical details are generally very good, the real strength of the film lies in the well-drawn, sympathetically-realised characters. The crew and their personal lives are all depicted superbly without ever falling into the realm of soap opera.

It's on YouTube in its entirety:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj8M7mULzTY

Osmium Steele 06-14-11 07:53 AM

Quote:

It's like the scene in 12 O'Clock High in which a B-17 does a long protracted belly flop. They were a dime-a-dozen in those days and they didn't blink twice about racking one up.
Sadly, we just lost the Liberty Bell yesterday. She crashed on take-off and miraculously the pilot and 6 passengers walked away... ... then she burned. :wah:

Quote:

not even remotely fap-worthy
Hehe... ... she said fap-worthy....