SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Type VII or type IX (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119844)

STEED 08-05-07 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puster Bill
Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna
Type IX every time :rock: more eels, endurance, firepower, looks etc. :arrgh!:

And there pure bloody girl bait as well. :D

Girly-man bait, you mean...:lol:

Typical coward on his little boat who has no guts for the big stuff. :p

I got so many French women I an swimming in them. :D

S Rafty 08-05-07 03:41 PM

Cheers for the help guys with the Kiel Navigating.

Surely the VIIB can have all the extra kit aswell.

OMG! The first time I fired the GWX flak gun....:D SO SATISFYING! BLAM BLAM BLAM! HAHAHA ahem...

IX is pretty :P But I like the VII for shorter patrols and are great fun in harbours. Nothing like stopping short of a harbour wall and a DD getting trapped in a dock. Just back away and....boom!

Canovaro 08-06-07 01:35 AM

Getting a IXD2 is my goal of the game :rock:

It's BIG, plus ... well it's BIG

Stealth Hunter 08-06-07 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S Rafty
I agree, IID is a nice boat.

For patrols? HELL NO. The IID is a TERRIBLE sub for those, but harbor raids it's extremely useful for (sadly, it lacks a high ordnance capacity and a suitable diesel engine with good batteries, BUT it is small; however, it's not up for the deck gun or anti-aircraft gun upgrade). I think I'd rather be using a Mittel U from 1915 than an IID in the middle of the North Atlantic!

VIIC is one of the best, in my honest opinion. IF you manage to obtain the option to take an XXI in the late war, I suggest you do so... by far, it's the best of all of them, but my only complaint about it is the lacking of a deck gun for smaller merchants (I don't want to waste torpedoes on a fishing boat...).

Hadrys 08-06-07 05:19 AM

Type VII for immersion and realistic gameplay!

Type IX for scoring insane tonnage, insane endurance (against shells and DCs). Tried it and couldn't play realistic, got back to VIIC i 1943, now thinking about a new campaign in IIA but can't imagine going through the Kiel Canal. I need to change the TC i guess...

Chisum 08-06-07 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentrunner
What do you think the best U-boat is?

Hard question and hard choice.

I love the VIIc witch is very beautifull and still THE U-boot by excellence(? I don't know if it's a correct expression).
But after using every type in my first campaign I must say that the type IX/D2 is the better choice.

Ther is a pic of my dear U-178:
http://www.taucher.net/redaktion/26/...kchenlinks.jpg

U 178 in the foreground, U 183 background left, U 188 in the right, U 532 background on lake.

PS: there is a good idea to built my signature.

TarJak 08-06-07 06:23 AM

Use em all.:arrgh!: Why choose?

danurve 08-06-07 08:18 AM

http://huntny.us/images/VII_IX.gif

Jimbuna 08-06-07 11:13 AM

@Chisum

Are they Fubars skins ? :hmm:

Chisum 08-06-07 01:20 PM

Quote:

@Chisum

Edit:

Oups misunderstoud.

Yes it seems lol.

;)

ReallyDedPoet 08-06-07 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danurve

Nice one ^^^^ danurve:up:

RDP

Sledgehammer427 08-06-07 11:44 PM

hmm, well ,i would have to say a typ IX wont do any harm, to you at least:arrgh!:
theyre big, they look cool (saddletanks are so last war) and they have the ability to stay out for so long. like someone said before me, drive it right and its a fearsome predator

CapZap1970 08-07-07 10:06 AM

IX for me, please.
I like this beast better. As Jimbuna said, it's faster, more eels, and longer patrols. :rock:
CapZap

Jimbuna 08-07-07 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisum
Quote:

@Chisum

Edit:

Oups misunderstoud.

Yes it seems lol.

;)

:lol: :up:

XLjedi 08-07-07 10:52 AM

I find that my preference has been to use the VIIC.

As for C vs. B, I'm happy to trade off an extra knot submerged to pickup the faster diving and extra topside goodies like the schnorkel. Plus I guess I just like using it for its historical significance.

The IX was great for a new experience, just read Operation Drumbeat and you'll want to fire up a new Hardigan career in a IX. Hunting faster moving tankers in the carribean with a type IX (for me) was a totally different experience than the North Atlantic playground. The downside was TC and real-time it took to traverse the Atlantic. I had to mod my config file to allow for higher TC... I cranked it up to 4096 and it seemed to help. :roll:

I think when the new GWX comes out and Milkcows are operational I will definitely have to revisit the IX!