SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   National sayings and phrases - directly translated (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=247424)

Sean C 11-29-20 05:25 PM

My grandmother had a lot of funny sayings. I can't remember all of them. But one that always made me laugh was what she said when someone did something stupid:

"You ain't got the brains God gave a wooden goose!"

Eisenwurst 11-29-20 07:06 PM

"I'm drier than a pommie's bathmat".- Let's go and have a drink !:)

GoldenRivet 11-29-20 10:30 PM

Some i have heard float around in Texas... where much like our aussie friends, everything is bastardized english in which many things that wouldnt normally have a contraction, in fact do, and sometimes two or three, even four words flow together to form a sort of single sound.

"Its' Hotter'n two squirrels screwin'n'a whool sock!" - ie. very hot outside

"Drunker'n Cooter Brown." - ie. Very drunk.

"Runs lak-a-scalded dog (or; ape)." - ie. your car, motorcycle, etc is capable of great speed.

"Fixin' to" - ie. i am preparing to do some task. (Fixin' to Eat - Fixin' to go to dinner etc)

"Same difference" - an odd way of saying that two apparently different proposals or problems etc are in fact the same no matter which way you view them.

:shucks:

Reece 11-30-20 12:44 AM

What's the definition of pain: Teeth marks in the dunny door. :oops:

Jimbuna 11-30-20 10:30 AM

Beat around the bush - To be indirect, and perhaps even reluctant or tricky, in saying or doing something.

Rockstar 11-30-20 10:46 AM

You're "dumber than a bag of hammers" or "slower than steam of 'poop'. I use those one a lot when I was in the service.

Sean C 12-01-20 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenRivet (Post 2710312)
"Fixin' to" - ie. i am preparing to do some task. (Fixin' to Eat - Fixin' to go to dinner etc)

"Same difference" - an odd way of saying that two apparently different proposals or problems etc are in fact the same no matter which way you view them.

I heard these all the time growing up ... and still do.

When I moved from southern to northern Virginia, people often asked me if I was from Kentucky or some such because I said things like "y'all" and "over yonder". I was constantly having to explain that I was from the very state we were in.

Just goes to show how much language can vary ... even in a relatively small geographic area.

Jimbuna 12-01-20 06:30 AM

Blow your socks off - Something which ‘blows your socks off’ is an astonishingly good thing.

Aktungbby 12-02-20 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2710393)
Beat around the bush - To be indirect, and perhaps even reluctant or tricky, in saying or doing something.

...not in Phuket! and "a hell of a 'git' you got''!:O:

Commander Wallace 12-02-20 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar (Post 2710402)
You're "dumber than a bag of hammers" or "slower than steam of 'poop'. I use those one a lot when I was in the service.

My dad said something similar. " You're dumber than a box of rocks."

I have used that saying a lot in my life. :yep:

Jimbuna 12-02-20 01:00 PM

To cost “an arm and a leg” - If something costs an arm and a leg, it’s very expensive.

mapuc 12-02-20 05:25 PM

Some more Danish sayings.

The tip of a jet fighter
Cost a farm

These two is related to something that cost a lot of money.

Markus

Jimbuna 12-03-20 08:40 AM

To steal someone’s thunder - means to take credit for something someone else has done.

Jimbuna 12-04-20 07:58 AM

"A few sandwiches short of a picnic" - Someone that lacks common sense might be described as "a few sandwiches short of a picnic."

Von Due 12-04-20 09:57 AM

"Funker som juling" = "Works like a beating/thrashing" - Works real well