SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Challenger Demon (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=230817)

nikimcbee 04-12-17 10:41 AM

I'm not sure why anyone would buy a high end sports car in Ore-gone though.

Metro speed limit is 55:doh: and rural is 60:har::har::har::har:.

It was so hard to comeback to OR and drive after being in TX.

Washington State, where Or-gone drivers go to drive fast. WA speed limit is 70.

AVGWarhawk 04-12-17 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargamel (Post 2478467)
One article I read said it's capped at 140 mph?

And I kinda of snickered when it said "fastest US production car in the World".

No wonder them Euros laugh at us when we try to make a car.

The computer can be capped to shut down the injectors or retard the timing to slow the car when a set speed is obtained. Your standard vehicle is generally capped at 120. However, there are tuner boxes to plug into the ALDL so the owner my "tinker" with perimeters set in the computer. VW has a preprogrammed download to spool up turbos to higher PSI than factor stock. VW is in enough trouble with that.

140 mph is great. It is even better when you can reach 140 mph between stop lights! :D

Onkel Neal 04-12-17 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee (Post 2478512)
So, last month when I was in Austin. The rental car place asked me if I wanted to "upgrade" to a Dodge Challenger?

Yes.
Yes I would like that.

It was a fun drive to Fredericksburg.:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

And you didn't invite me. For shame!

nikimcbee 04-12-17 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2478518)
And you didn't invite me. For shame!

I tried calling, but I think I'm on call block.:D

More Torchy's Tacos for me I guess. Fredericksburg was great though, it's like Oktoberfest, but every day!

Rockin Robbins 04-12-17 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2478474)
The cars of design for American consumer desires (or tolerance) simply are not wanted over here, they do not match what German and European car customers want and look for in car design.
That simple it is, Donny. :up:

So let's take a garden variety Lamborghini Murcielago and go looking for a lowly American Corvette to slay mercilessly on a middle east highway. Take the cell phone. This will be fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CatMjAzEt3c

AVGWarhawk 04-12-17 11:33 AM

Bye bye baby!

mapuc 04-12-17 11:36 AM

As some of you I like to put the pedal to the metal-If I'm the driver.

It will be nothing than a dream-The day I win the jackpot and I can buy not only a muscle car but also my own racetrack-So I can under secured situation put pedal to the metal-Something I would NEVER do among public traffic.

Markus

Red October1984 04-12-17 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2478459)
It's an amazing machine, one that I would not really have any good use for, but for what it is, it's pretty cool.

This sums up my entire opinion on this car. The only thing special about it is that they get it to run 9s from the factory and a ridiculously insane 0-60 (or 0-100 for the rest of the world).

V8 muscle cars have been running 9s forever. Chevrolet small block platforms are ridiculous. The only reason to buy this car is to have the quickest factory production car and a Dodge at the same time. Which, NHRA banned...so you can't even do what it's designed for.

Yes, it's a hell of a monster and faster than damn near everything else out there...but my question is why?

At the same time, there is such a thing as personal preference. In my opinion, you shouldn't buy a car just because it's fast and powerful...you buy something you enjoy driving. If Challengers and Muscle is your thing, this car is great.

I just see an American R35 GTR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2478465)
well it's not quite the real thing, but then you can virtually race it w/o having to fear for your or other's lives :03:

Autocross is fun too. :Kaleun_Wink: And much much cheaper than racing on a circuit.

Quote:

Any ideas of becoming a millionaire in 5 years? Please write.
Every time I see a BMW 3.0 CSL go up for sale i contemplate selling organs. :)

Sailor Steve 04-12-17 11:45 PM

Markus, you should pay us a visit. We have a world-class racetrack that will let you run your car to its limits - for a price, of course, but that's a lot cheaper than having your own track. They even host races for average everyday cars, so you don't have to have the fastest car in the world to have some fun.

Platapus 04-14-17 01:43 PM

So what kinda mileage do you get from the Challenger?:D

mapuc 04-14-17 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2478632)
Markus, you should pay us a visit. We have a world-class racetrack that will let you run your car to its limits - for a price, of course, but that's a lot cheaper than having your own track. They even host races for average everyday cars, so you don't have to have the fastest car in the world to have some fun.

Thank you Steve-You mentioned something that is one of my dreams too-That is if I should win the jackpot-Take a cruise ship to New York or similar city, rent a big RV and then travel the roads thin-Expect it would take 1½-2 years to travel east to west and north to south.

Markus

em2nought 04-14-17 04:23 PM

I still think Dodge should get out of the car business and move into the rolling chassis business instead. Bring back all the old models as rolling chassis, and also sell nice new 318s built on modern machinery separately. Better than selling your soul to Fiat. :o

Platapus 04-15-17 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee (Post 2478515)
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a high end sports car in Ore-gone though.

I wonder about that same thing here in North Virginia. We have Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, and other super car dealerships just down the road from where I live. Nice to look at, but who would drive one of those on VA roads?

One pothole and you have a $10,000 alignment job or probably $20,000 suspension repair. Plus the roads are so crowded you would have a hard time getting out of second gear.

I have a hard enough time driving my Subaru Forester on these roads!

But evidently people do buy them. I guess they put them in storage, which seems to be a waste.

Onkel Neal 04-15-17 08:32 AM

Yeah, I can see getting 5000 speeding tickets in the first week. If they had autobahns here, I might consider a car like that, but on every day roads... just not really a good deal.

When my buddy had his Hellcat up over 130 all I could think of was "this would be a bad time for a javelina or deer to run across the road". Even an armadillo would have sent us skyborn.

Sailor Steve 04-15-17 10:06 AM

Back before the 1970s oil crisis Nevada was famous for having no speed limits at all. I once heard a story about a guy with a muscle car zooming across the desert at somewhere around 150 mph (or so the story goes). When he stopped at a diner for lunch he was suddenly surrounded by several cops. They all offered him money to let them "Take it for a spin".

Just a story...