SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Subsim Events & Activities (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   SUBSIM Meeting 2008 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=129586)

TarJak 01-24-08 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer
Hey Neal...

I'll be in Australia shortly before that...meaning I'd be travelling 13452km (8359m straight line) to get there.

Doing the maths: two flights to LAX, one to Dallas, one to Houston, car to Galveston arriving 28 hours later. I think it's doable. Last time I was in TX I drove from Dallas to Galveston, should have taken the puddle jumper.

Anyone else gonna travel further?

@Pioneer, If you are starting in Sydney you can get either of two flights to LAX that connect to about 5 flights to Houston on Continental. Total flight times around 20 hrs Sydney to Houston.

Archie 01-24-08 11:24 PM

Hmmm, long way from Cairns Far North Queensland, but I believe I may be able to get a flight via Hawaii to LAX, I will confer with my Commander in Chief / Chief Financial Officer (She Who Must Be Obeyed) and see what this trip away will "cost" me....:roll:

If theres a will, theres a way! :arrgh!:

Onkel Neal 01-24-08 11:39 PM

Wow, could this be the meeting the Aussies take over Texas??

I hope so! :yep:

Iceman 01-25-08 12:00 AM

Got approval from the Wifie..yea..just need to know exactly when etc so I can request time off in advance and book airline tickets etc.Not sure if you are familiar with a couple of buddies of mine that live down in those parts.Argon,Shadowfax, and Tootall...well all got togther in Reno about 10 years ago now..all naval nutz like us they live in Texas.

If Sailor Steve can get there you can bunk with me ,I'll flip for the car and the room with double queens if you can get your air squared away I'll hook up w ya there.I can stay as long as we are there I just need to know as much of the details so I can plot the course now. :arrgh!:

P.S. I promise not to try to convert anyone there I give my word....all fun and naval chat only.

Pioneer 01-25-08 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarJak
@Pioneer, If you are starting in Sydney you can get either of two flights to LAX that connect to about 5 flights to Houston on Continental. Total flight times around 20 hrs Sydney to Houston.

I'll go out through Brisbane (AU home town) on Qantas and will probably divert from LAX to my US home, where I'll do a quick change and then continue direct to Houston.

Side issue: Neal in the agenda you have the on board sleepover on Friday night listed as #1. Is Sat night a sleepover as well or is it "get your own room".

nikimcbee 01-25-08 02:21 AM

Is this during hurricane season?

d@rk51d3 01-25-08 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee
Is this during hurricane season?

After dinner at Tex-Mex, I'm sure it'll be blowing a gale.:lol:

399nkov 01-25-08 04:09 AM

Neal, count me in for sure. I should be able to jog that twenty miles.

Maybe the flounder will be moving. Should I bring fishing gear?

Looking forward to this meeting.

Regards;
Herb: from down the road.:up:

GlobalExplorer 01-25-08 03:36 PM

Too far .. though I am sure there are people that would make this journey worthwile.

I might still take SHIII and sink a few ships in Galveston Bay, so if you should see that, would you accept it as my toast?

Brag 01-25-08 04:20 PM

If my book sells enough copies, I would love to come. Mmmmmm, those Gulf oysters and schrimp. (Balz will be locked up for the duration) :rock:

geetrue 01-25-08 04:30 PM

If I can get there and back on $400 ... I'm in

You know where a nice place to dine would be?

Jimmy Walker's on the Kema side of the Kema draw bridge down Clear Lake way.

Sailboats and shrimp boats coming in and out on friday or saturday nights, a good shrimp dinner, a little cocktail and you will sleep well that night, yes siree. :up:

nikimcbee 01-25-08 09:10 PM

Hey, what about a charter fishing boat?

Von Manteuffel 01-26-08 12:37 PM

I usually take a month's leave in October. So that fits. Could do the full U.S. experience. Please count me in as a possible.

Thanks

Jeffg 01-26-08 12:58 PM

Neal,
I am in Ponte Vedra Beach,Florida and I will be there if its held.I will have the time off.
JeffG

XabbaRus 01-26-08 05:52 PM

The wife says I can come just checking flight prices. How much advance booking to stay at the Subsim ranch?

So it would be arriving on the 9th October and leaving on the 13th or the 14th?