SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] The Game Fixes Only Mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151796)

cdp44 01-06-12 11:05 AM

It used to crash for me to, but then I deleted Campaigns folder before enabling the mod. Never had a single crash since.

Cdp44

Webster 01-06-12 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdp44 (Post 1816424)
It used to crash for me to, but then I deleted Campaigns folder before enabling the mod. Never had a single crash since.

Cdp44

so your saying there is an issue with the campaigns folder (yellow folder) or one of the campaign files itself and if so which file?

also was this ctd tested with other mods instaled (please list which ones) or just GFO?

cdp44 01-06-12 05:11 PM

The crash usually happend when a strange taskforce appeared on navigation map. It consited only of destroyers, and if I tried to look on them in exernal view, the game CTD.
It stopped after I disabled the mod, removed the Campaigns folder, the one containing patrol objetives, campaign layers and so on.
Now I´m running the mod for over two years without a single crash.
And I must say I´m loving it:up:.

Cdp44

Webster 01-06-12 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdp44 (Post 1816628)
The crash usually happend when a strange taskforce appeared on navigation map. It consited only of destroyers, and if I tried to look on them in exernal view, the game CTD.
It stopped after I disabled the mod, removed the Campaigns folder, the one containing patrol objetives, campaign layers and so on.

Cdp44

hmmm, i was only aware of ctd issues related to running some of the single missions asking for TMO ships not in the stock game so it ctd and replacing the missions corrected this.

is what you found something that showed up in campaign play or single missions?

cdp44 01-06-12 05:28 PM

It was in a career. I rarely play single missions.

Cdp44

Webster 01-06-12 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdp44 (Post 1816649)
It was in a career. I rarely play single missions.

Cdp44

ok, good to know

i havent modded in a long long time and really dont even remember which smaller mod the campaign files came from so i will try to backtrack and solve this.

while im looking, are there any other unresolved issues with GFO that havent been addressed?

Loudspeaker 01-07-12 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdp44 (Post 1816628)

Cdp44

This is what happens to me too, although I have also experienced it with convoys. Recently I tried to save game every now and then and reload after game crash and go for the same convoy from another direction. Still crashes.

Btw, I have now done 3 patrols in stock with Webster's air patrol and better subs add on, and everything seems to be working perfectly. There definately is something technically wrong with GFO, which is a shame, because the mod itself is just great.

Webster 01-07-12 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudspeaker (Post 1816935)
This is what happens to me too, although I have also experienced it with convoys. Recently I tried to save game every now and then and reload after game crash and go for the same convoy from another direction. Still crashes.

Btw, I have now done 3 patrols in stock with Webster's air patrol and better subs add on, and everything seems to be working perfectly. There definately is something technically wrong with GFO, which is a shame, because the mod itself is just great.

every mod out there has issues from time to time, GFO is no different, but it has been out for years and these are the first reports of these issues so you cant fix something you dont know about.

it is very unfair and insulting to label it as "something technically wrong with GFO" GFO is a collection of dozens of other mods made by other people which were combined by me in a way that didnt have any conflicts (personal or game wise) and its not easy solving all the small issues that come with that but the body as a whole is the result.

all too often when modding its like pulling teeth to get people to report things they see or even give the most basic feedback and unless its reported you dont know about it

AFAIK GFO is a mod that has had remarkably less issues since being released then most mods

Loudspeaker 01-07-12 02:44 PM

I am sorry, if you felt insulted, Webster. I didn't mean to insult you, and I really meant it, when I wrote above that the mod is a GREAT mod, and I have enjoyed playing it a lot.

I am not good with computers, so chances that I will be able to fix this issue on my own are very limited.

Again... My apologizes to you.

Webster 01-08-12 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudspeaker (Post 1817185)
I am sorry, if you felt insulted, Webster. I didn't mean to insult you, and I really meant it, when I wrote above that the mod is a GREAT mod, and I have enjoyed playing it a lot.

I am not good with computers, so chances that I will be able to fix this issue on my own are very limited.

Again... My apologizes to you.

no worries, no apology needed, i was just having a really bad day, im not going to take my toys and go run home :har:

im sorry for responding the way i did, its just that i feel responsible to the modders who contributed their mods that i included in GFO even if i didnt have anything to do with creating them. the fact that i combined stuff causes me to put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure it doesnt change or break someones mod or cause it to work incorrectly or have ctd issues and i just cant know enough about every mod in GFO to test everything in every situation.

the reason i responded in that manner is just that i was a little miffed that a problem like this was there for such a long time unreported and then to have such a blanket tag thrown on it of it being "something technically wrong with GFO".

as Loudspeaker mentioned its in the campaign files and just so you understand whats involved, they are text files (some with hundreds of words some with only a few dozen) that most likely have one little typo error somewhere with the name or number or type of one ship spelled wrong. when you get some time you might want to open one or two of them and see whats in them.

they dont make a lot of sense at first but as you get into modding you get used to what all the info means and how easy it can be when you edit one of those files to make an error and how such a minor thing like that can cause ctd

Josey Wales 01-13-12 09:48 PM

Is GFO supposed to have way darker nights?

Hey webster Thanks for all your work to make GFO possible looks like you have done alot. Quick question should the nights be way darker in GFO v1.1 I just installed it over stock 1.5 with TGT DIALS TO PK FIX for GFO everything looks good just cant find anything in this or any thread about this mod changing the nights to really dark nights, Is this correct or do I have something wrong?

Thanks!

Webster 01-15-12 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josey Wales (Post 1820932)
Hey webster Thanks for all your work to make GFO possible looks like you have done alot. Quick question should the nights be way darker in GFO v1.1 I just installed it over stock 1.5 with TGT DIALS TO PK FIX for GFO everything looks good just cant find anything in this or any thread about this mod changing the nights to really dark nights, Is this correct or do I have something wrong?

Thanks!

nothing in GFO changes the brightness but in the game options you can change the brightness with "gamma" to tweak it if you need to see better.

it could be another mod your using effecting it, look at anything that changes the environment. often it can be a side effect of something unrelated such as anything related to grafics

Munster 02-26-12 02:10 PM

Hi! It's a great mod and I like to use it but I've a small problem with the hydrophone since using the mod: there's no ship type recognition anymore. Can someone tell me how to fix it?

Thx,
Munster

spearchucker 05-18-12 03:04 PM

does this mod deal with the watch crew getting killed by depth charges?

or is this only a TMO, RFB, OM, problem?

the reason I ask is I would rather use this mod, but when I loaded it up I noticed no crew berthing or "hogans ally" in the sub

and in my opinion if this is a vanilla bug it sure is a game breaker for me :down:

anyway thanks for any replies and thanks for this mod choice is always good :salute:

Webster 05-18-12 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munster (Post 1845843)
Hi! It's a great mod and I like to use it but I've a small problem with the hydrophone since using the mod: there's no ship type recognition anymore. Can someone tell me how to fix it?

Thx,
Munster

if its a ship added by RSRDC or some other mod then there may not have been an ID attatched to that ship so its not recognized.

its not a GFO issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearchucker (Post 1885508)
does this mod deal with the watch crew getting killed by depth charges?

or is this only a TMO, RFB, OM, problem?

the reason I ask is I would rather use this mod, but when I loaded it up I noticed no crew berthing or "hogans ally" in the sub

and in my opinion if this is a vanilla bug it sure is a game breaker for me :down:

anyway thanks for any replies and thanks for this mod choice is always good :salute:

i think you mean the gun crews,

this mod tries to remain true to stock and just fix things that werent working or not working correctly.

its a stock bug with the game and the solution to the gun crews being injured by depth charges is solved by going to crew management screen and moving them to the damage control station and they wont be hurt anymore by depth charges. just be sure to move them to gun stations before surfacing.