SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   SH3 Newbie Guide, FAQs, Tactics & Tips, Links, & other helpful stuff (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=96026)

DirtyACE 07-26-07 02:06 PM

I have another question: If I want to add new music to be played on the gramaphone, do I need to put the files into the gramaphone subfolder within the sound folder? I know the files need to be in .wav format.

Schöneboom 07-26-07 03:54 PM

Hi DirtyACE,

Yes, the Gramophone folder is the right place -- but the preferred formats are .ogg & .mp3 -- converters are fortunately easy to find online.

Mach's gut!

DirtyACE 07-26-07 05:02 PM

Thanks Schöneboom :up:

DirtyACE 07-27-07 02:47 PM

More questions guys:

1. I've read how people stay out on patrol for 20+ days, some even at 65. How is that possible? I did my first patrol from Wilhelmshaven to an area near northern Scotland. I travelled there on Ahead Standard on the surface, setup a search pattern in the area and then tried returning to base but I ran out of fuel. It seems that I was only out in sea for 5 or 6 days max. I'm using a IIA sub by the way.

2. When you patrol your assigned area, is it really necessary to do the search patterns or can you just get to the area and just hold still for 24 hours? Basically not move anywhere unless you spot a contact?

3. When I look at my nav map I see blue, green and read contacts. Red are enemy and blue are friedly. Now the green I'm assuming are neutral, but can you or are you allowed to shoot at those?

4. I noticed before my first patrol that my sub was not fully staffed. Should I completely fill the boat's allowed crew capacity or not? Also, when I get medals or qualifications to give to the crew, which ones should I give and to whom?

robj250 07-27-07 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyACE
More questions guys:

1. I've read how people stay out on patrol for 20+ days, some even at 65. How is that possible? I did my first patrol from Wilhelmshaven to an area near northern Scotland. I travelled there on Ahead Standard on the surface, setup a search pattern in the area and then tried returning to base but I ran out of fuel. It seems that I was only out in sea for 5 or 6 days max. I'm using a IIA sub by the way.

2. When you patrol your assigned area, is it really necessary to do the search patterns or can you just get to the area and just hold still for 24 hours? Basically not move anywhere unless you spot a contact?

3. When I look at my nav map I see blue, green and read contacts. Red are enemy and blue are friedly. Now the green I'm assuming are neutral, but can you or are you allowed to shoot at those?

4. I noticed before my first patrol that my sub was not fully staffed. Should I completely fill the boat's allowed crew capacity or not? Also, when I get medals or qualifications to give to the crew, which ones should I give and to whom?

Question 1 - Your patrol area must have been too far for you to get back to your base.

Question 2 - I patrol my grid, but others just sit there for 24 hours and leave.

Question 3 - Red are enemy, blue are friendly and green are neutral. No you should not sink neutral as it gives you negative renown.

Question 4 - When you are in the office to start your mission, go to the file cabinet and get the rest of your crew.

Rob

TarJak 07-27-07 06:51 PM

Ahead standard is NOT the optimum spped to get max range from your sub. IIRC the best way to find your max range is to check wiht your nav officer on the range at current speed while moving from aroun 7kt through to 9kt. IIRC somewhere in that range is optimum. A Type II won't be able to hang around for 60+ days though unless you run submerged for long periods or you sit at all stop for long periods.

robj250 07-27-07 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarJak
Ahead standard is NOT the optimum spped to get max range from your sub. IIRC the best way to find your max range is to check wiht your nav officer on the range at current speed while moving from aroun 7kt through to 9kt. IIRC somewhere in that range is optimum. A Type II won't be able to hang around for 60+ days though unless you run submerged for long periods or you sit at all stop for long periods.

Thanks very much for adding that TarJak, that simply slipped my mind.:up:
Rob

DirtyACE 07-27-07 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarJak

Thanks TarJak. Will checking with the nav officer also give me the fuel consumption if I'm traveling at a certain speed?

BROJD 08-19-07 12:01 PM

I know it's been asked a gazillion times in various places, but is there a good uber-list of all of the SHIII mods?

I'm currently running Commander and GWX. I want to be able to spice up my gramophone, get light harbor traffic, and see what other mods are out there. I'm not looking for drastic changes.

robj250 08-19-07 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROJD
I know it's been asked a gazillion times in various places, but is there a good uber-list of all of the SHIII mods?

I'm currently running Commander and GWX. I want to be able to spice up my gramophone, get light harbor traffic, and see what other mods are out there. I'm not looking for drastic changes.

Go here:
http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches2005.html

Rob

Lzs von swe 08-20-07 03:21 AM

Hi and welcome niteflier:up:

So many new members here lately, hard to keep up with welcoming you all:rock:

parislord 08-29-07 06:37 PM

Installation issue:

Installed 80mb 1.03 over 700mb 1.1a now the game gives me nothing but CTD's. Do I not need one of these?

Mike

Lzs von swe 08-30-07 09:58 AM

First of, welcome parislord:up:

Sorry to say this but it seams you have made a mess of your installment.
Version 1.03 is for GWX, not The GW1.1a. You will have some uninstalling and reinstalling to do. And while your at it, go download the GWX files as you already have the 1.03 update for it.

Col. Caldwell 09-25-07 03:36 PM

How to use sonar?

Edit: Moved to another thread.

3Jane 09-28-07 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyACE
More questions guys:

I think there is a bug, which affects the game if any alterations are made to the boat or the crew before the very first patrol. I think the sinkings don't register, or renown isn't added for sinkings on that patrol. Some such thing. I always waited until the second patrol before making any alterations.