SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] The Game Fixes Only Mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151796)

Webster 06-16-10 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorshkov (Post 1420771)
Hi, WEBSTER!

- Does your GMO 1.1 mod change game's version number from "1.5" to "1.6 GMO"? I enabled-disabled GMO 1.1 several times with JGSME and there was "1.6 GMO" string present once but later it reversed to "1.5".

- Are those mods sompatible with GMO: SonarTargetFix2, WEBSTER's torpedo mods.

- Is there any safe way to add metric nomograph and range-bearing circle into GMO?

no, GFO doesnt change the version number

there was a very early first released version of the mod that had a different name (Unofficial v1.6 Patch) and it did have a file that changed the version number that you see but due to complaints about the name and version number change, i removed those files and completely redid the mod and rereleased as GFO v1.0 and then updated to GFO v1.1 so you need to make sure you have the correct mod by redownloading it from here or from my filefront page.

sometimes you can get outdate versions of mods from some other websites that dont bother to replace mods with the newer versions as they should which might be what happened to you.

if you are sure you got the latest download and you were seeing different version numbers when you ran the game then you definately have some mod soup issues happening, try the mod soup fix or in your case its probably best to just reinstall the game to be sure your game is working correctly

SonarTargetFix2 is already built into my manuvering fix which was built into GFO so you dont need to add that mod and yes all my torpedo mods are compatable with GFO.

Gorshkov 06-16-10 03:11 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED: You still have bad string put into "Snorkel Name Change Fix" auxiliary mod:

Quote:

213=GFO Patch v1.6
I changed it to "v 1.5".

Webster 06-17-10 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorshkov (Post 1420874)
PROBLEM SOLVED: You still have bad string put into "Snorkel Name Change Fix" auxiliary mod:

I changed it to "v 1.5".

i didnt realise that and your the first to ever report it :salute:

glad you got it sorted out, to properly fix the version number that is being displayed, you need to change it back to the stock value so do this:

open the "Snorkel Name Change Fix" auxiliary mod and open the menu/menu file found in it, go to line # 213 and copy and paste to replace it with this:

213=v %d.%d

that way it will read the version number of the game and not just display what you typed in, i doubt it matters but i always try not to change things if i dont have to because it can sometimes lead to some unintended side effects.

Gorshkov 06-17-10 06:05 PM

Well, %d is "int" data type formatting input/output in C/C++ language.

Webster 06-17-10 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorshkov (Post 1421714)
Well, %d is "int" data type formatting input/output in C/C++ language.

thats how ubisoft had it so thats why i recomended returning it to the stock code so it works as the game was built to work

Gorshkov 06-30-10 06:50 AM

WEBSTER: Check if Real Env #1 mod always works flawlessly with GFO. Load "Pacific U-boat" mission and try to see and lock enemy ships. They are almost invisible even at close distance through periscope!

Major Johnson 07-05-10 10:52 AM

Well I just spent the last 2 hours reading all 16 pages of this thread. I've been away from SH4 for quite a while but have been feeling the pull for a few months. I loved SH1, played it endlessly! Had to wait 10 yrs for the franchise to get back to the Pacific, only to find the game way confusing and steep learning curve and the stock game loaded with CTDs that only frustrated me and pushed me away. Looking at the other super mods the last thing I wanted was to make the game harder. GFO appears to fix the bugs and will make the interface/learning curve a little more user friendly for those of us that love the sim but without the realism. What I was looking for was an improved version of SH1, and I think GFO will accomplish that for me. It looks like a lot of work has gone into this project and I'm eager to give it another shot.

I will say that reading this thread from page 1 gave me some appreciation for all the modders out there, and I learned the proper way for installing a mod, thus saving time and a duplicate post! Time well spent!!

Thanks Webster for the effort!

Major Johnson 07-05-10 11:52 AM

Ok, my first question........does GFO correct the incorrect US planes in the stock game?? I have a small mod from 2007, US-Planes.zip. Will it hurt anything if I install it along with, but after/under, GFO?? Thanks in advance.

Well I quick couple of minutes, more like an hour, of leaving the dock at Pearl and setting my course to Midway as my first refueling stop, then jumping into free camera mode showed me the US planes are still the same on the carrier at dock. Answered the first part of my question.

2nd Edit:
Well, 2 game freezes already which my only recourse is a reboot. It's all coming back to me now. The constant crashes. It happened with the vanilla install (all patched) as well. I had a few other programs running in the background during the first crash/freeze. Rebooted, restarted the game with no other programs running and just as I spotted my first Jap tanker, closed to 2000 yds, and hit the P for periscope depth, the game freezes with an audio looping sound. If I have to save every 5 minuites, it sure loses the emmersion factor! I really don't think it's the game, I think it's a hardware issue with me, even though all my drivers are up to date. I'm tempted to believe it's my AMD dual core processor. My rig is beefy enough to where I don't need to overclock for this game. Anyone have any tips??

3rd Edit:
Well setting the infinity of my dual core processor for the games exe to just one processor, may or may not have helped my issue, as I was able to play freeze free for well over an hour and sunk my first mechant using GFO. Although it took me like 10 torps to do it since it's been so long since I've played the game and I might not have been using the auto-targeting correctly. I did have a few duds, but also an equal number of misses. Maybe running too deep?? I thought I had them set for 9 ft, but then when I used L for lock on target, the depth setting changed to like 18 ft! Resetting it to 9 ft at that point seemed to have helped, at least for that torpedo. Guess I need to go to sub school again and take the traning course. But thus far, I've wasted my afternoon and that's a good thing!

Major Johnson 07-06-10 08:09 AM

After my first career patrol, here are a couple of things I've noticed.
1. The Helmsman gives me a depth reading practically every minute, as long as I'm in realtime and not in action. That can get to be a bit old, but I found myself just tuning it out.
2. Time compression is really flukey. Seems the longer I play, the more erractic it gets. Like I'll be in time compression and then for whatever reason, the sub just stops moving, in the map screen anyway, like it dropped out of time compression. The usual fix is to go to some other station, whichs puts me back in real time, then go back to the map screen and reinitialize compression. There was one instance where if I went above 64 time compression, the boat's speed would actually go to 0 kts! The only way to rectify that was to exit the game and go back in.
3. In a rough sea, the sub doesn't sit low in the water, but seems to float on a straight line, with the bottom of the hull mostly exposed, especially the propellers. It would be nice if there were better bobbing mechanics for the sub in rough seas.

Other than my game freezing issue, which I really think is due to my AMD dual core processor, or maybe even the fact that I install my games on a 2nd SATA harddrive, or quite possibly a combination of the two. But setting the infinity of the processor to CPU 0 appears to have all but eliminated that problem.

I know that the modders can only do so much, the game coding is what it is, but it seems like after all this time, the devs would have been able to fix all the CTDs that are associated with the game. And it could just be that there's so much different hardware out there that they just couldn't get the coding to be 100% compatible with everything.

And one more thing, I only saw one Jap plane my whole patrol, and if I hadn't a attacked a fishing boat I probably wouldn't have seen that one! And he didn't see me anyway.

But the game is definitely playable nonetheless, and I'll be continuing my career soon! :arrgh!:

Webster 07-06-10 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major Johnson (Post 1435968)
Well I just spent the last 2 hours reading all 16 pages of this thread. I've been away from SH4 for quite a while but have been feeling the pull for a few months. I loved SH1, played it endlessly! Had to wait 10 yrs for the franchise to get back to the Pacific, only to find the game way confusing and steep learning curve and the stock game loaded with CTDs that only frustrated me and pushed me away. Looking at the other super mods the last thing I wanted was to make the game harder. GFO appears to fix the bugs and will make the interface/learning curve a little more user friendly for those of us that love the sim but without the realism. What I was looking for was an improved version of SH1, and I think GFO will accomplish that for me. It looks like a lot of work has gone into this project and I'm eager to give it another shot.

I will say that reading this thread from page 1 gave me some appreciation for all the modders out there, and I learned the proper way for installing a mod, thus saving time and a duplicate post! Time well spent!!

Thanks Webster for the effort!

thanks

i wanted to try to make a big mod that fixes everything or as much as i can without changing too much so its as close to stock as possible. the idea was to leave the "customising" to you the player since we all like or dislike different things.

there are still many stock "bugs" that werent fixed because doing so meant forcing game play style choices on you that you may not want, but also some things arent fixed because i didnt have fixes for them.

GFO may not be the most game polished mod but its about as fixed as you can get and still be mostly stock.

- the airplane thing, i would suggest you try GFO as is first, i think i have solved the unrealistic aircraft thing for you so see what its like before you add another aircraft mod, if for no other reason then to have something to compare results.

- time compression drops out for anything so any activity in the area drops you to normal TC so you can check out what it is. if this werent the case you would find yourself dead and never know you sailed into a task force or a plane bombed you.

- CTD are most often a running out of system memory capacity thing so clean up your files and defrag and do a disk cleanup and such before you play and it helps reduce them a lot

Major Johnson 07-06-10 02:22 PM

You know I don't think I've ever defraged or ran a chkdsk on my secondary drive where I keep all my games. I just might try that.

As for the planes thing. When I first checked it, when I was at Pearl, I wasn't actually running GFO. Uh! I had to go back over the install instructions, redo it, and then when I started the game I saw the GFO splash screen. And by that time I was on my way to my patrol zone and I didn't want to start over, since the first patrol was sort of a test anyway. But when I start my next patrol, I'll check the planes on the US carrier decks, and not that it really matters, but it's just eye candy, and I am a bit anal with those type of historical facts. :)

I'm just happy I'm getting back into the game again.

Major Johnson 07-06-10 08:19 PM

Holy crap!! Defragging that drive was some tip!! It's been defragging for almost 5 hours!! Only 54% completed!!! Don't think I'll be starting my 2nd patrol tonight.....:wah:

Webster 07-06-10 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major Johnson (Post 1437114)
As for the planes thing.

GFO doesnt change the visual image of seeing planes on the carrier decks, the game does that for japanese carriers too and i dont know if there is a mod made that fixes it but that visual image has no effect on the planes you see flying in the game since they wont launch from carriers but only spawn "in flight" already when the game asks for them.

Major Johnson 07-24-10 07:53 PM

AA gun range of vision in Tambor class sub

Well, I'm really not sure where this goes, but since the only mod I'm using is GFO, I guess I'll put it here. I've been getting back into SH4 and I started an American career in a Tambor class sub. I upgraded to a 2x20mm AA gun for my second patrol. Now I don't know if there is the same problem with the single 20mm AA gun, but I had a need to man the gun in the second patrol, and when testing out my field of fire, I noticed that if turn let's say 70º or more to either side, my vision is blocked by the walls of the sub. I'm not sure if this is something that can fixed in a mod or not, but if it is, it certainly falls into the category of GFO.

And I've also found that I can't use the hydrophone in the Tambor or the Gato class subs, but I could in the Porpoise. It's not a deal killer, but it would be nice to be able to manually work it like I can in the Porpoise class sub.

Other than that, I'm having an enjoyable time getting back into the game. :)

Major Johnson 07-25-10 12:47 PM

Just reporting in with another quirk I've found. In the list of changes, it says that you changed the comma key to be the radar/snorkle depth. For me it still cycles through the units, as it says on the keyboard layout. But a question, why not use the R key, which according to the keyboard layout is open??

And I don't know if there is a date associated with the 4 bladed props, but my Tambor in July of 42 still has 3 blades. But they are spinning in opposite directions.

Edit:
Well I might have found my answer. I upgraded to a Gato sub and it did have props with 4 blades, so maybe there is a date factor, or some subs just had 3 bladed props.