SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Silent Hunter 5 Announced? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=142624)

Task Force 10-13-08 01:18 PM

Yes but without bugs, and stuff like that. What will the Moders do?:hmm:

Sledgehammer427 10-13-08 02:24 PM

make the game better...
i believe ubi makes games with potential crappy so us modders have something to do!:rotfl:

Ivan Putski 10-13-08 03:18 PM

I too would like to see subs from other nations envolved, Britain, Japan etc. Ubi has a penchant for rushing games into production though, and considering talk of a 1st quarter 09 release date isn`t promising. If done right SHV would hit an all time sales record for this type of sim. Puts

Adriatico 10-14-08 02:59 AM

Afterall, I think that we are all togather "caught on empty hook"... casted by our belowed Subsim...

There is some logical order of things: annoucement/confirmation of project, features description, first screens, beta... etc.

Obviously, there is some "activity in Romania"... but whole this thread is pointless till project comes at least "to periscope depth"...

I would be happy if it hits the shelves in August-September09.

(... of course, if it is not Nikita Hruschov snorkling... against seventeen US radar screens)

:dead:

Sailor Steve 10-14-08 02:58 PM

Okay, here are the facts as percieved by someone who actually got to talk face-to-face with the actual lead developer of the current installment of the Silent Hunter series, and actually got to ask some actual questions.

1) Yes, there is going to be a Silent Hunter 5.

That's it. From what I gathered they are still in the initial planning stages, and it's not going to be available in the first quarter of 2009, or even the first quarter of 2010. That was what Neal put up, either because he was guessing or just wanted to get us talking, or because he knows something and wants to get us talking. Of course I could be wrong, but show me someone outside of Dan and his team who knows anything more, or else it's just all guessing.

The actual discussion of the game consisted of Dan asking us questions, and the questions themselves were all of the "How would you feel if we did it this way?" variety. Our answers varied from "Yes, I'd like to see that" to "No, I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole", with the occassional "But that would be too hard to implement" - which got a response of "What we can or can't do isn't important, I'm just asking what you'd like to see." When someone said he wanted to see British or Dutch or Japanese subs and I made my usual statement about the cost of hiring voice actors, he looked at me and said, "Yes, but that's not all that hard to do". So my objections mean no more than anyone else's.

I don't know about Neal, but the rest of us came away with the joy of having talked to him and not much else. So for now "I think they're doing this" and "I'm sure they wouldn't do that" is no more precise than my own "I have no clue". I'm hoping it's a WW2 sim, based in the Atlantic (for no other reason than that's where the war started), that fixes all the problems and advances the feel of the simulation. And I'm hoping that it includes the Pacific side as well, or is quickly followed by that, since the work is already done and it would be easy to implement once the basic work was done. Japanese, Dutch, British, Italian and Russian submarines? If the basic game is done right that shouldn't be hard to do with small and profitable add-ons, which gives the players something to look forward too, makes money for UBI, and keeps the devs employed and working on the genre we all love so much. Destroyer Command 2? Same thing: once the groundwork is laid commanding surface ships shouldn't be a problem, and if the initial coding is included then submarine/destroyer interplay should again be a possibility, and then maybe a reality.

This much I did gather from what we said and did: they are of course obviously working on something, but they're not yet ready to go into detail. But they are talking to us, asking us what we want and asking us what we think - about some ideas of theirs and about the genre in general.

Jokes about 'Penguins of the Atlantic', Armed Merchant Cruisers and Fashion Barbie, and the idea that Dan is quitting the team and moving to America aside, I don't know any more about Silent Hunter 5 now than I did before I went. But this I do know: Dan is a great guy with a wicked sense of humor, they do respect us and our opinions, our opinions and wants are so widely varied that there is no way they can give us all what we want, and they like and respect us and are listening and want to give us the best experience they possibly can.

Dowly 10-14-08 03:16 PM

2010 would sound good to me. :hmm: Good, perfected "über" SH. Atlantic, Pacific, maybe even multiple sides to play as. *drool*

But what I would like to see the most is the war and supplies running in the background, so you could get info of how your struggle is affecting the war in general. Also, something has to be done to have AI subs hunting, heck, if not fully working AI subs, even somekind of dice rolling going on in the background to determine if your fellow kaleuns sink something. Then, you'd catch messages sent by another uboat in the event of the dice rolling a 'successfull attack' for that particular boat. Would add heaps of immersion. :yep:

Adriatico 10-15-08 01:37 AM

...in a few words, the name of the game is - GWX4

Triple coffe for wolfpack team, please !

:up:

Jimbuna 10-15-08 06:27 AM

I concur with Steve http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...s/thumbsup.gif

If anyone has any complaints, the guy on the right is the one you should complain to.

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/4592/p1000147ll0.jpg

Best bring a few mates :lol:

Diopos 10-15-08 11:43 AM

ww2 WW2 WORLD WAR 2 WORLD WAR 2 WORLD WAR 2 WORLD WAR 2

Both oceans please! And a spherical (at least)WORLD, too!:yep:

Bosje 10-15-08 12:09 PM

aye, WW2

although privateer merchant raiding in the 1700s or early 1800s could be fun, too

Rip 10-15-08 03:04 PM

I totally agree with Steve. I probably dominated Dan's attention as much as anyone (I am quite sure he was glad to escape my constant game discussion) and if I came away with anything it was a healthy respect for what the developers WANT to do. I can only hope that anything I discussed with him will make their task a little bit easier and the end product a little more grandiose.

Rip

Jimbuna 10-15-08 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip
I totally agree with Steve. I probably dominated Dan's attention as much as anyone (I am quite sure he was glad to escape my constant game discussion) and if I came away with anything it was a healthy respect for what the developers WANT to do. I can only hope that anything I discussed with him will make their task a little bit easier and the end product a little more grandiose.

Rip

Echoed matey http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...s/thumbsup.gif

elanaiba 10-15-08 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip
I totally agree with Steve. I probably dominated Dan's attention as much as anyone (I am quite sure he was glad to escape my constant game discussion)

For me, the highlights of this meeting were, in no particular order: Battleship Texas, and the people. All so different, and all so cool and interesting.

I am not a very communicative guy and my sense of humor is strange sometimes (the unfriendly bear), but even if it may have seemed otherwise it was all of interest to me.

In fact, the problem was how to be everywhere and catch everyone's opinion.

The biggest surprise I had was from FAdmiral, StdDev, Rebel and Dano... these guys really play or used to play multiplayer, from SH2/DC onwards. I really need to look into some things :)

So Jim (FAdmiral), I really did take note :) Thanks for putting it up. Again and again and again :P

THE_MASK 10-15-08 11:16 PM

Silent hunter 5 = SH4 multiplayer patch addon/enhancement where there are people commanding ships and subs set in ww2 in the atlantic utilising the existing SH4 multiplayer game. This game will also patch SH4 to 1.6 giving us the german subs to play in the atlantic single player campaign. The addon that follows will be the pacific multiplayer and gives us more ships and planes and american subs . Is this too much to ask LOL . SH5 should enhance what we we already have and that is a great game already . cheers . oh and it should include some dx10 enhancements .

tonibamestre 10-16-08 12:34 AM

Thats a good point of view.Yes,improve the multiplayer capability,weather and sea state conditions and let be in command of other units via further addons,expansions or whatever.So we can set a wide range scenario of playable units,DDS,CLS,BBS,CVS........ Concerning the carriers,the entire air wing could be operative via an interface similar to the used in Battlestations Midway or so.