SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 ATO Mods (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   [REL]OM V40X Beta (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=139909)

602Sqn_Puff 08-17-08 12:47 PM

Thx Lurker...just spotted that in game :)

Orion2012 08-17-08 01:43 PM

Not really a glitch or a problem, but is there any chance we might see the dive times adjusted in a future release of OM. :lol:

A crash dive in a type IX takes a little over 1min30secs which to me seems a little fast.

tigone 08-17-08 01:46 PM

Patrol Assignments and U-Boat Range

This mod is going to be a lot of fun.

I started a new career (Type VIIC, March 1942, 7th U-Flotte), and was assigned a patrol in the Southern Caribbean, near Curaçao. That's extreme long range for a Type VII, and I only made it there and back by chugging along at 6 knots. It made for a long patrol, something like 65 or 70 days, almost all of that in transit. I completed objectives on two patrol stations but had to ignore third (all in the Caribbean) due to my fuel levels. Also (possibly significant), during the entire time, I only encountered one enemy vessel, while I would have expected that patrol area to be fairly lousy with them.

Starting my second patrol in June 1942, I again got assigned to the southern Caribbean. This simply doesn't ring right to me. While a handful of Type VIIs operated in the Gulf of Mexico (a slightly shorter patrol radius), the large majority were Type IXs. The Type VIIs were never designed for such a combat radius, and rarely assigned to really distant patrol areas.

So is there any particular reason that my U-355 is getting sent so far? Is it just bad random luck, a glitch in the campaign software or does Onkel Karl just think I look good with a tan?

Same question for the almost complete lack of targets on that first patrol -- just bad luck, or a glitch in the campaign?

Thanks,

Andy

lurker_hlb3 08-17-08 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion2012
Not really a glitch or a problem, but is there any chance we might see the dive times adjusted in a future release of OM. :lol:

A crash dive in a type IX takes a little over 1min30secs which to me seems a little fast.

This is a "stock" issue and there is nothing I can do about right now

lurker_hlb3 08-17-08 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigone
This mod is going to be a lot of fun.

I started a new career (Type VIIC, March 1942, 7th U-Flotte), and was assigned a patrol in the Southern Caribbean, near Curaçao. That's extreme long range for a Type VII, and I only made it there and back by chugging along at 6 knots. It made for a long patrol, something like 65 or 70 days, almost all of that in transit. I completed objectives on two patrol stations but had to ignore third (all in the Caribbean) due to my fuel levels. Also (possibly significant), during the entire time, I only encountered one enemy vessel, while I would have expected that patrol area to be fairly lousy with them.

Starting my second patrol in June 1942, I again got assigned to the southern Caribbean. This simply doesn't ring right to me. While a handful of Type VIIs operated in the Gulf of Mexico (a slightly shorter patrol radius), the large majority were Type IXs. The Type VIIs were never designed for such a combat radius, and rarely assigned to really distant patrol areas.

So is there any particular reason that my U-355 is getting sent so far? Is it just bad random luck, a glitch in the campaign software or does Onkel Karl just think I look good with a tan?

Same question for the almost complete lack of targets on that first patrol -- just bad luck, or a glitch in the campaign?

Thanks,

Andy

http://www.uboat.net/maps/caribbean.htm

Note: U654 U615 U759 U94 U359

tigone 08-17-08 02:36 PM

lurker_hlb3 wrote:

> http://www.uboat.net/maps/caribbean.htm

> Note: U654 U615 U759 U94 U359

Point taken. So that's what Onkel Karl meant when he told me, "Stoppen zu jammern!"

Orion2012 08-17-08 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion2012

This is a "stock" issue and there is nothing I can do about right now

Thanks Lurker.

AntEater 08-18-08 06:47 AM

Another thing:
Dud rates are far too high. The impact exploder was generally reliable since around mid 1942 while in OM you currently get up to 50% duds on impact exploder with electric torpedoes.
These dud rates are ok for the first part of the war.
The only flaw the G7E still had was deep running, which was only solved in about mid 1942.