SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   UK Politics Thread part II (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=253033)

Jimbuna 09-01-22 07:06 AM

Conservative leadership candidates compared: Liz Truss v Rishi Sunak

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60037657

Jimbuna 09-03-22 02:00 PM

Eight people have been arrested after climate activists glued themselves together around the Speaker's chair in the House of Commons.

The protestors, from Extinction Rebellion UK, were on a guided tour of Parliament when they took the action, a spokeswoman said.

MPs are currently on their summer break, and are due to return next week.

The Met Police said it had launched an investigation into the "full circumstances of the incident".

The protesters read out a speech demanding a "citizens' assembly" on climate issues, the group said.

Other demonstrators were pictured draping banners outside Parliament.

Extinction Rebellion spokeswoman Nuala Lam told BBC News around 50 people had taken part in action in and around the Palace of Westminster.

She added the activists were calling for a "democratic system" that allows "ordinary people to be consulted" on climate change issue.

"I understand there is is some singing going on, and I think that security and police are there," she added.

Following the arrests, the Met Police said in a statement: "Four protesters who were present in the chambers and had glued themselves to each other were de-bonded and arrested.

"None of these protesters were glued to the Speaker's chair and there has been no damage to the Speaker's chair.

Two others - one who had climbed onto scaffolding outside Parliament and another who had glued themself to the pavement inside parliamentary premises - were also arrested, the force said.

Another two protesters who had locked themselves to the Carriage Gates were removed and also arrested.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62767480

Jimbuna 09-04-22 01:32 PM

Liz Truss has promised to announce a plan to deal with soaring energy costs within a week if she becomes prime minister on Tuesday.

The Tory leadership hopeful, the favourite according to pollsters, told the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg she would "act immediately" to help with bills.

But she offered no details, saying she would need time in office first in order to finalise exact proposals.

Her rival Rishi Sunak said he would target further payments at the poorest.

One of the two contenders will be announced as the next Tory leader on Monday, and will replace Boris Johnson in Downing Street the next day.

They have come under pressure to spell out how they would protect households with rising bills, as well as give help to businesses, which are not covered by the domestic price cap.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62786065

Catfish 09-05-22 03:20 AM

re Liz T.
"Giving handouts to the wealthy voters that back her party will fix all the UK's problems. What was done wrong before was not giving billionaires enough money. Maybe if they just get a little more there will be that golden rain one day."
via Imgur :haha:

Jimbuna 09-05-22 05:33 AM

A freeze on energy bills is one of a number of options for tackling the soaring cost of gas and electricity due to be presented to the new prime minister this week.

BBC News has been told a menu of options has been worked up in Whitehall to help struggling households.

Energy industry sources are optimistic the government will back a plan to freeze the energy cap.

Either Rishi Sunak or Liz Truss will be announced as the new PM later today.

Ms Truss's team is understood to have been working on a support package for energy bills "for weeks" and an announcement on what they will do is pencilled in for this Thursday.

"Lots of measures have been considered, some have progressed and some have not" a source said. Her team do not deny they might introduce a freeze on energy bills.

There have been multiple meetings between the energy industry and government, including ministers close to Ms Truss, who is seen as the front runner to replace Boris Johnson.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62791113

Skybird 09-05-22 07:39 AM

Truss it is. Herzliches Beileid. Could happen if the only choice is between pest and cholera.

Catfish 09-05-22 08:22 AM

When i first became aware of this abomination woman i would never have thought that it would be just of all her to become pm one day.
Not (yet) converted to be a russian troll, and yes i know what a representative democracy is, but could it be all this is not much of a democracy at work? :hmmm:

Congratulations.

Platapus 09-05-22 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2826102)
But she offered no details, saying she would need time in office first in order to finalise exact proposals.

Isn't that like purchasing a swine in a shed?

Trust me that I will fix the problems, but I won't tell you the details until it is too late.

Rockstar 09-05-22 03:48 PM

Lol, kinda like “we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it..”

mapuc 09-05-22 04:11 PM

This new Leader of Tories and the new P.M is she a modern version of Margaret Thatcher ?

Markus

MGR1 09-05-22 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2826279)
This new Leader of Tories and the new P.M is she a modern version of Margaret Thatcher ?

Markus

She'll try to be (the Tory Party grassroots seem to have a "dommy mommy" fixation), but she doesn't appear to have the wit or intelligence.

As much as detest Sturgeon and the SNP, I think Truss would lose in a cat fight between the two.

Mike.

Skybird 09-06-22 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2826279)

Markus

she is a turncoat, proven. Thatcher stuck to her principles, against resistence.

Catfish 09-06-22 02:22 AM

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them, I have others." (Marx)
.. Groucho, of course
Just the best humanity has up its sleeve :88)

JU_88 09-06-22 02:44 AM

Well both Liz and Rishi have buddy buddy ties to Engergy companies, so dont expect any action from them to reduce your bills this winter.
Conservative party should just be called the 'sellout party' at this point, they have zero principles or values, they'll just do what ever it takes to stay in power and line their mates (and their own) pockets.
At least the Labour party have some principles even if they are Clueless sheltered middle class activist ones the University Campuses shat out 10 years ago- they have SOME at least.

Skybird 09-06-22 04:32 AM

Naughty! The strongly left-leaning, woke Süddeutsche Zeitung comments:

Like a five-year-old who has just run into a door: the new head of the UK government is Liz Truss - and she is stumbling from one gaffe to the next. By January, the kingdom will be dysfunctional.

:haha: