SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Silent Hunter 5 Announced? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=142624)

Zachstar 10-06-08 09:02 PM

Whole aspect (Or world) games take SERIOUS work to do without seriously degrading the individual aspects.

You would get a bunch of boats with interiors that are not historically correct, parameters off, that kind of junk...

It would take atleast as much time as SH3 from start to finish and likely alot longer. Thus if something like that were to happen I think it would be like I mentioned above.

The more I think about it. The more it seems this game will follow the "Kill tha Soviet bad guyz" trend started by such titles as World in Conflict.

Think about it.

In the 50s the mainstay of our sub force was the Guppy conversions. So sub warfare would have been mostly the same except for more use of homing torps (And nuke torpedoes but obviously this would be alt universe so that can be tossed) and Jet/Helo ASW.

So if you ignore the soviet sub for playable units and keep it to blasting surface ships.. Well it is sort of possible in such a short timeframe.

Adriatico 10-06-08 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna
Quote:

Originally Posted by badaboom
I thought I read somewhere awhile back that thier was going to be "A SPECIAL PREVIEW"of a sub sim at this weeks subsim gathering in Houston?but for the life of me I can't find any info now! Does anyone else remember reading this info?

Yes....the information is still out there embedded in the middle of a certain post (if you can find it). ;)

So we await possible confirmation of the next WWII sim from Ubi at the Meet next week.

The only question/wish I have is for it to cover both ATO and PTO theatres and allow the player to choose which side they want to play http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...ies/pirate.gif

Who would not like it :smug: ... but let's be realistic, it could make a work x2 or x4 if it is really brand new engine... and extend the project work for 12-24 months.

PC graphics is "flying" these days, setting new standards year by year... and serious simulation is so complex and time-consuming project that - by the time of final release it's graphic engine is almost too old... :dead:

Regarding that meeting, I would expect just some more whispering and rumors among few "insiders"...
Not convinced that Ubi would be so emotional about it...

SteamWake 10-06-08 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDK1044
You gotta love this thread. Over 180 posts based on nothing but speculation and wishes.

Okay threads over TDK wins :up:

doulos05 10-07-08 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexandro
In essence what Im getting at is a much wider theatre or operations. The game engine in SH4 has practically the whole world in it. Taking this up a notch and making world wide sailing possible would be at the forefront of my thinking for SH5. Squash the bugs that keep recurring in each title (like dodgey wave effects/savegame corruption) beef up area of operations, and rework the render with a bit of high end DX9 tech and make the weather more impressive (like 60foot waves) and your looking at a potential top 10 game easily.

I'm all for it, but I do have to say that I've experienced some pretty high waves in SHIV. Periscope depth on a Balao class is 60 feet, and on external view, my conning tower was breaching in the troughs of the waves. So, the waves were probably only ~40 feet (since the depth is to the keel, so it's not quite 60 ft).

Dowly 10-08-08 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos05
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexandro
In essence what Im getting at is a much wider theatre or operations. The game engine in SH4 has practically the whole world in it. Taking this up a notch and making world wide sailing possible would be at the forefront of my thinking for SH5. Squash the bugs that keep recurring in each title (like dodgey wave effects/savegame corruption) beef up area of operations, and rework the render with a bit of high end DX9 tech and make the weather more impressive (like 60foot waves) and your looking at a potential top 10 game easily.

I'm all for it, but I do have to say that I've experienced some pretty high waves in SHIV. Periscope depth on a Balao class is 60 feet, and on external view, my conning tower was breaching in the troughs of the waves. So, the waves were probably only ~40 feet (since the depth is to the keel, so it's not quite 60 ft).

Yeah, but I want HUGE waves! You know, the kinda monsters that used to rip merchant's rudder off etc. :yep:

Kruger 10-08-08 08:43 AM

In this kind of horrific storms, what did the subs do ? Just dive deep, right ? What if the storm lasted for more than a couple of days ?

stabiz 10-08-08 06:38 PM

What the ...? Nobody tells me anything!:huh:

Sh3 + wolfpacks + insanely good damage modelling and explotions(c)TM + destroyer command= SH5? Hope, hope.

kylania 10-08-08 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stabiz
What the ...? Nobody tells me anything!:huh:

Hey stabiz,

There's a little blurb on subsim.com that seems to indicate that Silent Hunter V might be coming out next year! In case you hadn't heard yet. :hmm:;)

CaptainHaplo 10-08-08 08:53 PM

There is a lot of speculation - but one thing I will point out to those that freak out over the "new code" notion.

The key here is that the research for much of a WW2 subsim has been done with sh3/4 - ALOT of the models - interior and exterior are already made. Sure, to make em prettier they are tweaked - but the idea that all new code means all new drawings and art isnt true. New code almost always means "new ENGINE" - but a new engine can be built to better optimize what is already available - as well as use new things.

Personally I am encouraged - hoping that SH5 remains in WW2 (and I strongly suspect it will) - and that the engine allows for more of the true realism we have so long wanted.

Things like - control over individual ballast tanks, control over multi-engine propulsion, a more accurate damage model (both for ourselves and for enemy shipping). Realistic gunnery (one AI beef I have) and a slew of other things. We don't know the facts, but to run amok with the idea of "well its this - or that" or "OH MY GOD SH5 is going FPS!" is not sensible.

With a new engine they could be adding a slew of features -standing orders at sea, semi-dynamic campaign affects (yes - the unholy what if scenarios that would affect, but not ultimately change history), etc. Who knows? We don't, but I am not going to go off the deep end and be negative. I am thrilled SH5 is in the works.

And as a side note - if SH5 is demo'd to the subsim meet - then you can expect it to be released in a quarter or 2 - because if its good enough to show to hardcore folks like us - its more than just a runnable slide show.

rik007 10-08-08 11:33 PM

CaptainHaplo, I fully agree. Personally an update of the Atlantic theatre would be great and profitable for Ubisoft.

SHIII has aged by now and nothing new is expected after GWX. I think the lot of us are read to buy a new atlantic subsim when available. So the time is there to do another Atlantic one with Wolfpacks etc and that can be done much easier right now as Ubi has the experience, the tools and the material ready.

I think the Altantic is the cash cow of them all. The cold war is not attractive at all. For example check the number of posts on this forum and your market research is done. 353.924 posts for ShIII+mod, 203.388 for SHIV, 31513 for the post-war Subsims. Addon I leave out as well as the ATO modding.

Check the posts on you have the wishlist. It cannot be easier for Ubi and hopefully we will see that happen!

:sunny:

Rilder 10-09-08 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kruger
In this kind of horrific storms, what did the subs do ? Just dive deep, right ? What if the storm lasted for more than a couple of days ?

Perfect storm but instead of a fishing boat, a sub? :lol:

V.C. Sniper 10-09-08 03:52 PM

I would stay on the bridge of my super awesome Balao and LAFFF hysterically as my sub slices through 40 foot waves in the perfect storm! :arrgh!:

Orion2012 10-09-08 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rik007
I think the Altantic is the cash cow of them all. The cold war is not attractive at all. For example check the number of posts on this forum and your market research is done. 353.924 posts for ShIII+mod, 203.388 for SHIV, 31513 for the post-war Subsims. Addon I leave out as well as the ATO modding.

You have to take into account the fact that some users simply can't run SHV. I myself just don't like all the rain in the Atlantic. Depressing. :p

In all seriousness I'd prefer they just give us WW2 with both the Atlantic and pacific campaigns.

Hartmann 10-09-08 06:36 PM

A new code need more time in develop a decent game, and start from nothing.

if the time is limited , it could mean that the product perhaps donīt have any of the very cool and amazing features that the people request like full modeling of the subs, a decent IA or other things. :hmm:

tomagabriel 10-10-08 03:33 AM

Well, I am still hoping and waiting for a Cold War nuclear adventure. I know people will be perplexed by this wish of mine, but as they do not find Cold War too appealing , I do not find the WWII so appealing (to me WWII seems boring as it lacks action, the boat seems to me more like a submerged metal box than a ship - funny thing, the WWII fans say exactly the same about Cold War - I guess the problem is in us, not in the history) :) Probably one day we will get some new-engined nuclear/modern stuff. Though I doubt SH V will do this, I still hope for that. SHIV was for me the peak of my interest in WWII. I enjoyed it a lot, but I do not think I will pursue this WWII line (financially speaking).