SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [WIP] Day of Infamy (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220210)

iambecomelife 09-29-15 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhapprich (Post 2347754)
How do i sink your ai sub?

I never created a proper damage model for it. But it would be possible to create unique compartments within the hull, then give them a crash depth in zones.cfg deep enough so that they do not incur damage below the surface like normal plane/surface ship compartments. Then, hopefully, it would be susceptible to anti-submarine weapons without taking damage from being underwater.

CapnScurvy 09-29-15 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambecomelife
Hi; sorry again to interrupt but may I ask how you made the shoreline visible at greater distances? I tried to do this yesterday evening for "Wolves of the Kaiser" by adjusting the free camera in cameras.dat, but it didn't work...the shoreline is still only visible when you are about 5 miles away. Thanks a lot!

No interruption at all!

I'm not home right now, but I'll answer your question when I do. Although I did change the Cameras.dat file to make the correction for visual sizing of the viewable world......this file doesn't have anything to do with the clarity of the view.

I'll have to check just which files I changed (I don't want to rely on memory). I can forward a JSGME mod with the changes to you.

===============

Ok, I'm home now. I have the file ready.

If you would like, send me your E-Mail address through a PM. I'll send it as an attachment. The water is a bit darker than stock too. If you don't like it I think I can remove the water color without messing up the distance of the visual clarity.

By checking the distance at Manila for an "At Sea" start position, the land is only visible at one relative bearing, 105 degree....very faintly, at the horizon. Nav. Map gives the distance as 11nm at that bearing.

iambecomelife 10-02-15 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnScurvy (Post 2347873)
No interruption at all!

I'm not home right now, but I'll answer your question when I do. Although I did change the Cameras.dat file to make the correction for visual sizing of the viewable world......this file doesn't have anything to do with the clarity of the view.

I'll have to check just which files I changed (I don't want to rely on memory). I can forward a JSGME mod with the changes to you.

===============

Ok, I'm home now. I have the file ready.

If you would like, send me your E-Mail address through a PM. I'll send it as an attachment. The water is a bit darker than stock too. If you don't like it I think I can remove the water color without messing up the distance of the visual clarity.

By checking the distance at Manila for an "At Sea" start position, the land is only visible at one relative bearing, 105 degree....very faintly, at the horizon. Nav. Map gives the distance as 11nm at that bearing.

Thanks; I PM'ed you.

polyfiller 10-02-15 06:32 AM

FYI, in TSWM mod I have sinkable AI subs which fire torpedoes. What I did was create several - one on surface and four or five which move around submerged at different depths (they can't change depth, so I just created different subs with different fixed depths for some variety). For depth charges I think I gave them some proximity fuse, because I've not found a way to set a DC off at specific depths. In testing I have managed to sink a few. The DC's are fired from rear facing torp tube election screen.

And the AI subs are deadly if I put a pack of them together in a test mission.

iambecomelife 10-07-15 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyfiller (Post 2348498)
FYI, in TSWM mod I have sinkable AI subs which fire torpedoes. What I did was create several - one on surface and four or five which move around submerged at different depths (they can't change depth, so I just created different subs with different fixed depths for some variety). For depth charges I think I gave them some proximity fuse, because I've not found a way to set a DC off at specific depths. In testing I have managed to sink a few. The DC's are fired from rear facing torp tube election screen.

And the AI subs are deadly if I put a pack of them together in a test mission.

Thanks for the information; I like hearing about how we modders manage to get around SH3/4's limitations with respect to surface/submerged warfare. Very interesting.

And thank you, CapnScurvy, for your reply and the download - I now have the increased visual distance I wanted. Now I will test for stability with the new terrain textures I created for "Wolves of the Kaiser". I got a crash at first with high time compression after making the changes, but since reducing terrain texture size from 1024 x 1024 to 512 x 512 the game seems to be stable.

Rockin Robbins 10-08-15 09:44 PM

I have a question. Why the blank isn't this mod, one of two supermods in current development (and these two could be the best two supermods in the history of the game) stickied like Wolves of the Kaiser? These two modders are two of the best ever and they are the proof that Silent Hunter 4 is alive and well, eight years in, proving that the game Ubi abandoned long ago still has value and relevance.

fitzcarraldo 10-08-15 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2349907)
I have a question. Why the blank isn't this mod, one of two supermods in current development (and these two could be the best two supermods in the history of the game) stickied like Wolves of the Kaiser? These two modders are two of the best ever and they are the proof that Silent Hunter 4 is alive and well, eight years in, proving that the game Ubi abandoned long ago still has value and relevance.

+1...

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

aanker 10-09-15 11:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
...... These two modders are two of the best ever and they are the proof that Silent Hunter 4 is alive and well, eight years in, proving that the game Ubi abandoned long ago still has value and relevance.

Nicely said RR. I signed up for alerts to keep up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2349908)
+1...

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

+2 : )

Rockin Robbins 10-11-15 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aanker (Post 2350023)
Quote:

Nicely said RR. I signed up for alerts to keep up.

+2 : )

I might get in trouble here. I'ma gonna use the report button to ask that this thread be stickied.:D:D:D

Rockin Robbins 10-11-15 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2350425)
I might get in trouble here. I'ma gonna use the report button to ask that this thread be stickied.:D:D:D

But holy crap, knowing the senseless automated forum rules, reporting might get CapnScurvy jailed or something. I'm just going to PM Neal.:arrgh!:

Done.

fitzcarraldo 10-12-15 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2350426)
But holy crap, knowing the senseless automated forum rules, reporting might get CapnScurvy jailed or something. I'm just going to PM Neal.:arrgh!:

Done.

Please, or CapnScurvy will be sent to Peleliu Island!

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :up:

Rockin Robbins 10-26-15 05:29 PM

I did not say "bump."

Captain Dave 10-26-15 06:34 PM

Somebody mumbled it.

Sailor Steve 10-26-15 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2350425)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2350426)

Done.

No trouble for doing that. Of course you could just as well PM the forum moderator(s). Either way works just fine.

My personal opinion is that as long as it gets plenty of responses and stays near the top there's no real need, and bumping is okay. But that's just me, and stickies can be cool too. :sunny:

Rockin Robbins 10-26-15 10:36 PM

There are times when a modder has to put his head down and just bull his way though a tough spot in the mod, and he might not post for awhile as he concentrates on the task at hand. He could fall off page 1 easily there.

I also think stickying a thread is an "attaboy, Subsim thinks you're doing something important."

I'm sure CapnScurvy isn't doing the mod for recognition or an attaboy but encouragement can go a long way to get a mod to the finish line.