SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Who / What / Where Game (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=213403)

Aktungbby 03-16-21 05:08 PM

panettone?

mapuc 03-16-21 05:13 PM

It has something to do with bread

Markus

Aktungbby 03-16-21 05:19 PM

and osterbrot has fruit too so that's out....:hmmm:

Catfish 03-16-21 05:21 PM

Not panettone, also not bread.

It is a kind of cake, or better cookie or pastry.. quite common in Germany around Christmas season. Such machines as depicted are usually not used anymore, it all switched to automated bigger ones decades ago.

Further hint: Probably originating in Russia, but often Belgium is said to have invented it, or maybe some germans did at the same time. It is also famous in the Netherlands..

mapuc 03-16-21 05:54 PM

When I saw the picture Catfish posted I got a Deja vu from my first job in a bakery.
End of the 90's

I tell you the machine we used had same colour, same shape.
Yes he had some very old machinery

I said to myself it looks like a machine who makes breadcrumbs from old dried White bread
It also looked like a machine which I have forgot the Danish/Swedish name and therefore unable to translate into English.

On top(the oblong funnel) was filled with flour.
The closest word I can come up with is
fully automatic sliding table

Then Catfish wrote only used at Christmas-so it can't be that either.

If I by any chance should have hit the nail-Then PLEASE give the ball to some others.

Markus

Aktungbby 03-16-21 06:00 PM

pepernoten?

Catfish 03-17-21 02:18 AM

@Mapuc: While the machine may look familiar, it is not flour that is being put into the funnel, but the ready dough, including all that is needed.

@Aktungbby: Not 'Pepernoten' (this would be "Pfeffernüsse" in german = literally "peppernuts", but called "spice nuts" in english).

There are some spices involved.. i wonder whether this kind of cake or biscuit is even known over there :hmmm:. It can be also made at home by hand, but you need some 'tools' - naming them will probably give it away, so...

Jimbuna 03-17-21 06:42 AM

Lebkuchen?

Catfish 03-17-21 07:09 AM

No, not Lebkuchen :k_confused:
Big hint: They are being produced at or for a special day, at least in Belgium i think. This is indirectly connected with the name..

In Germany you can get them from Easter on :haha: (not really..)

Jimbuna 03-17-21 07:19 AM

Marzipankartoffeln?

Catfish 03-17-21 08:56 AM

No, not Marzipankartoffeln either :D

What do you usually eat around Christmas, when it comes to cookies or biscuits?

Aktungbby 03-17-21 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2736980)
Marzipankartoffeln either :D

I read once that Germany lost WWII due to too many long syllable words...can U imagine some Enigma operator transmitting one keystroke at a time: "Liebe Mutter: please send socks, more Pervitin tablets, and Mar zi pan kart of fein! it's cold out here at 'Volgagrad' love, Olaf":O:

Jimbuna 03-17-21 01:20 PM

KETO CINNAMON STARS?

Catfish 03-17-21 01:23 PM

re Aktungbby: But it has better grammar, and is not as inexact and sounds as braggin' bigmouthy as if you are speaking with a whole hot potato in your mouth ����
(ouch seems smilies not working on mobile?)

What you are looking for does not sound especially german though, even *in* german..

@Jim: no.. Keto?? :har:

mapuc 03-17-21 01:31 PM

Laying in my bed I suddenly remembered another machine we used now and then.

We used it to make Croissant/Kipferl

I and the other stood and weight up dough, which the master toke and put in the funnel and the machine then made these croissant/Kipferl

In the end of my job this machine stopped working and I had to learn to do it manually.

Markus