SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   100 Years Ago Today (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=214193)

Sailor Steve 12-24-16 02:33 PM

December 24, 1916

Air War:
Royal Flying Corps 54 Squadron takes the first RFC Sopwith Pups to France. The Pup has been operating with the Royal Naval Air Service since October.

1120 French ace Alfred Heurtaux, flying a SPAD VII, shoots down an "Enemy Aircraft" for victory number 14.

1530 German pilot Ernst Udet, in Fokker D.III 1017/16, shoots down a Caudron G.IV for victory number 3.

In an earlier D.III, 368/16, Udet experimented with a tinplate fake rear gunner.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...pslecbkuv2.jpg

1640 German pilot George Strasser, in Albatros D.II 1712/16, shoots down a Caudron for victory number 1.

Bristol Channel:
British tanker SS Paul Paix, 4,196 tons, travelling in ballast from Dunkirk to Swansea, hits a mine laid off Mumbles Head by Friedrich Moecke in UC-46. The damaged ship manages to make it safely to port.

English Channel:
Ralph Wenninger, commanding UC-17, sinks British freighter SS Bargany, 872 tons, bound from Cardiff for Lorient with a load of coal, north of Ushant. His score is now 33 ships and 14,238 tons.

His Majesty's Trawler Abelard, 187 tons, is wrecked off Plymouth.

Bay of Biscay:
Otto Wünsche, in U-70, stops British schooner Harry W. Adams, carrying a load of codfish from Burin, Newfoundland to Corunna. After the crew abandon ship Wünsche sinks it with his deck gun. This takes place off Cape Vilano, Spain, and Wünsche's score is now 33 ships and 42,357 tons.

Gulf of Cadiz:
American schooner Fannie Palmer, 2,233 tons, carrying a load of coal from Newport News, Virginia to Cartagena, Spain, founders west of Gibraltar.

Jimbuna 12-25-16 06:55 PM

25th December 1916

Western Front

British take over more French line.

Eastern Front

Severe fighting west of Lower Sereth; Macin bridgehead attacked.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

Armenian front: fighting round Van.

Naval and Overseas Operations

Combined offensive (in East Africa) by Generals Northey and van Deventer begins, pushing enemy east and south.

Political, etc.

King's Christmas message.

Kaiser Wilhelm prays: “God bless the third war Christmas of all those away in the field and of those at home in our dear fatherland!”

Tsar replies to German Peace overtures.

Premiers of self-governing Colonies and Indian representatives invited to War Conference.

Coalition Government formed in Romania, including M. Take Jonescu.

Ship Losses:

Boavista (Denmark) The barque was wrecked at Boa Vista, Cape Verde Islands with the loss of a crew member.
Courlis (France) The schooner was sunk in the English Channel 25 nautical miles (46 km) north east of the Île Vierge Lighthouse, Finistère by SM UC-17 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Hiram (Russia) The barquentine was driven ashore on Nevis and was wrecked.
Marie Pierre (France) The schooner was set afire and sunk in the Bay of Biscay (44°42′N 3°10′W) by SM U-46 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

Sailor Steve 12-25-16 07:06 PM

December 25, 1916

Air War:
German pilot Otto Brauneck, flying an Albatros C.III with an Oberleutnant Geissler as observer, claims an "Enemy Aircraft", but it is unconfirmed.

English Channel:
Ralph Wenninger, commanding UC-17, stops and scuttles French schooner Courlis, 181 tons, bound from Lisbon for Palmol with a load of salt and wine. Wenninger's score is now 34 ships and 14,419 tons.

Gulf of Bothnia:
German freighter SS Cremon, 1,074 tons, travelling from Söderhamn to Germany, runs aground at Lövgrund, Sweden.

Bay of Biscay:
Alfred Saalwächter, in U-46, sinks French schooner Marie Pierre, 166 tons, carrying a load of pit props from Bayonne to Swansea. The crew are transferred to captured trawler Goulfar and Marie Pierre is set afire off the north Spanish coast. Saalwächter's score is now 7 ships and 12,551 tons.

Pacific Ocean:
British freighter SS Maitai, 3,393 tons, en route from San Francisco to Wellington, is wrecked at Raratonga.

Canada:
Canadian schooner Palmette, 98 tons, travelling from Clarks Harbour, Nova Scotia to Gloucester, Massachusetts, runs aground at Clarks Harbour.

United States:
American schooner Daniel McLoud, 253 tons, carrying a load of coal from New York to Boothbay, Maine, runs aground at the north end of Nantucket, Massachussetts.

American schooner Ravola, 123 tons, travelling from New York to Annapolis, Maryland with a load of coal, runs aground at the south end of Nantucket.

Caribbean Sea:
Russian schooner Hiram, 288 tons, travelling from Demarara, British Guiana to Liverpool, runs aground at Nevis.

Cape Verde Islands:
Danish barque Atlanta, 1,101 tons, travelling from Aalborg, Denmark to Santos, Brazil with a load of 1,450 tons of cement, runs aground at Boa Vista Island.

Jimbuna 12-26-16 12:55 PM

26th December 1916

Western Front

General Joffre created a Marshal of France.

Eastern Front

Heavy shelling of Russian positions in Galicia.

Severe fighting along whole Romanian front.

Mesopotamia: Weather broken; operations much hindered.

Naval aeroplanes bomb Turkish camps at Galata (Dardanelles).

Naval air-raid on Zeebrugge.

Political, etc.

Germany's reply to President Wilson's Note of 20 December handed to U.S.A. at Berlin.

Austria-Hungary delivers similar reply.

Charles I of Austria prepares for his formal coronation. Princess Zita, his wife, will wear a gown worth $10,000.

Governor General von Beseler orders the creation of the Polish State Credit Bank.

German school children also contribute to the war effort by subscribing $475,000 to the new German war loan.

Ship Losses:

Agnes (United Kingdom) The schooner was scuttled in the Irish Sea 15 nautical miles (28 km) south west by west of St. Ann's Head, Pembrokeshire by SM UC-46 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Johan (Denmark) The barque was scuttled in the English Channel 22 nautical miles (41 km) north north west of the Casquets, Channel Islands by SM U-79 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Neptune (Belgium) The trawler was sunk in the Irish Sea off the Smalls Lighthouse by SM UC-46 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Saint Louis (France) The schooner struck a mine laid by UC 46 (Friedrich Moecke) and sank in the Irish Sea 3.5 nautical miles (6.5 km) south of Mumbles Head, Glamorgan, United Kingdom (51°31′N 3°59′W) with the loss of three of her crew.
Spinaway (United Kingdom) The schooner was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 42 nautical miles (78 km) north west of Cape Villano, Spain (43°06′N 10°03′W) by SM U-70 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

"The Curse Of The World" (Western Mail cartoon).
http://i.imgur.com/n45NTry.jpg

Sailor Steve 12-26-16 05:43 PM

December 26, 1916

Air War:
0945 French ace Georges Guynemer, flying a SPAD VII, shoots down a Halberstadt two-seater for victory number 24

0945 French ace Alfred Heurtaux, in a SPAD VII, shoots down an Aviatik two-seater for victory number 15.

0950 Canadian RFC observer James Robert Smith, riding as observer in FE.2b A5458 with pilot 2nd Lt W.F. MacDonald, shoots down an Albatros D.II for victory number 1.

0950 English RFC pilot Edmund Leonard Zink, flying an FE.2b with a Lt Mahew as observer, shoots down an Albatros D.II for victory number 1.

1000 English RNAS pilot Robert John Orton Compston, in Nieuport Scout 8750 (sources are unclear on the model), shoots down an Albatros two-seater for victory number 1.

1055 German ace Renatus Theiller, flying an Albatros D.II, downs an FE.2b for victory number 7.

1115 German pilot Erich König, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down a BE.2c for victory number 3.

1120 German pilot Dieter Collin, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down a BE.12 for victory number 2.

1210 German pilot Hans Bethge, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down a BE.2d for victory number 3.

1210 German pilot Paul Bona, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down a BE.12 for victory number 1.

1230 English pilot Selden Long, flying DH.2 A305, shoots down a German two-seater for victory number 5. Aiding him is 2nd Lt F.B. Sedgewick.

1355 German ace Hans Karl Müller, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down a BE.2c for victory number 9. During this fight Müller recieves a severe stomach wound, ending his combat flying career. After the war he will immigrate to Mexico and run a flying school there until 1931. He will then move to San Antonio, Texas where he will die in 1977.

1515 German ace Erwin Böhme, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down a BE.2c for victory number 8. On a bombing mission with no observer, William Henry Hubbard manages to land on his own side of the lines.

German pilot Alfred Ulmer, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down Nieuport 12 A3924 for vicrtory number 3.

Bristol Channel:
Friedrich Moecke, commanding UC-46, scuttles Belgian naval trawler Neptune, 199 tons.
Brtitish schooner Agnes, 99 tons, carrying a load of oats from Waterford to Gloucester, hits a mine laid by Moecke off Ann's head.
French schooner Saint Louis, 184 tons, bound from Swansea for Bordeaux with a load of coal, hits a mine laid off Mumbles Head by Moecke.
His score is now 7 ships and 9,369 tons.

English Channel:
Heinrich Jeß, in U-79, scuttles Danish barque Johan, 828 tons, en route from Montego Bay, Jamaaica to Le Havre with a load of logwood, near the western end of the Channel. His score is now 2 ships and 5,786 tons.

Spain:
Otto Wünsche, in U-70, scuttles British schooner Spin-Away, 95 tons, travelling from Burgeo, Newfoundland to Figueira, Portugal with a load of codfish. His score is now 34 ships and 42,452 tons.

Jimbuna 12-27-16 03:46 PM

27th December 1916

Western Front

Big French air-raids on German industrial works (Rhineland, etc.).

Eastern Front

Falkenhayn takes Ramnicu Sarat.

In the Dobruja, the Bulgars seize position east of Macin.

Naval seaplanes destroy Chikaldir Bridge (Baghdad Railway), Gulf of Alexandretta.

French battleship "Gaulois" torpedoed in Mediterranean.
http://i.imgur.com/ZHJiVkL.jpg

Political, etc.

Britain contracts to buy all the exportable supply of New Zealand meat until three months until the end of the war.

Germany reassures Switzerland that it will continue to respect Swiss neutrality.

King Alfonso of Spain persuades Germany to send home some Belgian civilians who were deported as forced labour.

Germany limits the sale of "deluxe" shoes to two pairs per person per year, and only if old pairs are turned in.

Three Scandinavian Governments agree to present Note to Belligerents in support of peace efforts.

Franco-British Agreement re: temporary administration of Togoland.

Ship Losses:

Aislaby (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was scuttled in the Bay of Biscay 10 nautical miles (19 km) off Estaca Point, Galicia, Spain by SM U-46 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived, but her captain was taken as a prisoner of war.
Copsewood (United Kingdom) The coaster was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 34 nautical miles (63 km) south south west of The Lizard, Cornwall (49°19′N 5°49′W) by SM U-79 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Gaulois (French Navy) The Charlemagne-class battleship was torpedoed and sunk in the Aegean Sea off Cape Maleas, Greece (36°15′N 23°42′E) by SM UB-47 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of four of her 668 crew.
Goulfar (Germany) The depôt ship was scuttled on this day. Formerly a French trawler, she was captured on 24 December in the Bay of Biscay north of Spain (43°54′N 7°34′W) by SM U-46 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Ida (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 50 nautical miles (93 km) south of the Wolf Rock, Cornwall (48°56′N 5°50′W) by SM U-79 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Maud (France) The schooner was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Portugal (42°07′N 10°32′W) by SM UC-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

Editorial Cartoon: The 'Peace on Earth' spirit ─ Chicago Tribune
http://i.imgur.com/g2Am9Nu.png

Sailor Steve 12-27-16 07:02 PM

December 27, 1916

Air War:
1115 English ace John Quested, flying FE.2b 7666 with Lt H.J. Dicksee as observer, shoots down an Albatros D.I for victory number 7. German 9-kill ace Gustav Leffers is killed.

1120 Austrian pilot Augustin Novak, flying Hansa-Brandenburg C.I 27.01 with Alexander Souhrada as observer, shoots down a Farman two-seater for victory number 1.

1145 French ace Georges Guynemer, in a SPAD VII, shoots down an Albatros (single or two-seat unknown) for victory number 25.

1220 German pilot Wilhelm Cymera, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down FE.2b 7666 for victory number 1. English ace John Quested manages to land his plane safely behind his own lines. Due to the time difference in the logs, this is actually 1120 British time, or five minutes after Quested and Dicksee shot down Gustav Leffers.

1225 English Ace Selden Long, in DH.2 7930, shoots down an Albatros D.II for victory number 6.

1355 French ace Alfred Heurtaux, in a SPAD VII, shoots down a Rumpler two-seater for victory number 16.

1515 Augustin Novak flies a second mission with August Kosutic as bomber. They are attacked by two Farmans and shoot them both down. Novak now has 3 victories and Kosutic 2.

1625 German ace Manfred von Richthofen, flying Albatros D.II 491/16, claims a plane shot down for victory number 15, but there is some confusion over this claim. According to Richthofen:
Quote:

At 1615, five planes of our staffel attacked enemy squadron south of Arras. The enemy approached our lines, but was thrown back. After some fighting I managed to attack a very courageously flown Vickers two-seater. After 300 shots, enemy plane began dropping, uncontrolled. I pursued the plane up to 1,000 metres above the ground. Enemy plane crashed to ground on enemy side, one kilometre behind trenches near Ficheaux.
The problem is that the only FE.2 confirmed to have been downed was that of Quested and Dicksee, and they were definitely brought down by Cymera. An interesting connection is the log of James McCudden, flying a DH.2:
Quote:

Going east of Arras I saw five HA (Hostile Aircraft). Lt Jennings attacked an HA and another HA was approaching from behind. I fired about 15 shots and drove him off. He turned and came towards me firing. I opened fire at 100 yards and after about eight shots my gun stopped, due to cross feed. As the hostile machine was engaging me at close range, I turned on my back and dived vertically, in a slow spin and in this way regained our lines. At 800 feet over Basseaux the HA left me. I quickly rectified the stoppage and followed the HA across the trenches at 2,000 feet. Owing to his superior speed and climb he out distanced me and rejoined his patrol at about 5,000 feet. The hostile patrol then withdrew.
Captain Harold James Payn was part of the British patrol and reported having seen McCudden going down, apparently out of control. Payn thought McCudden was dead, and was surprised when he returned unharmed. Richthofen's "kill" was confirmed by some German AA gunners who may have mistaken another fight involving some BE.2s with Richthofen's fight with the DH.2s, both of which are pushers. Richthofen had also suffered a disappointment when he reached the magic number '8' for the Pour le Merite right after the Powers That Be had raised the requirement to 16 victories. Whatever the reason, it seems that his number 15 was not actually a "kill" at all.
Under the Guns of the Red Baron, Norman Franks, Hal Giblin and Nigel McCrery

1810 French aircrew Jean Loste, Lt P. Barbeau and Louis Martin, in a three-seat Caudron, shoot down an "Enemy Aircraft". Victory number 6 for Loste, 3 for Barbeau and 5 for Martin.

French pilot Jan Derode, in a Nieuport, shoots down an "Enemy Aircraft" for victory number 2.

German pilot Rudolf von Eschwege, in a Fokker E.III, shoots down Farman F31131 for victory number 2. Von Eschwege is the only German pilot flying on the Macedonian (Greek) front, and will become known as "The Eagle of the Aegean".

French pilots Marcel Hauss and Adj Balin, in Nieuports, team up to brong down an inidentified fighter. Victory number 1 for both.

Russian pilot Ivan Loiko, in a Nieuport 11, shoots down a Hansa-Brandenburg C.I for victory number 2.

English Channel:
Heinrich Jeß, commanding U-79, sinks two ships at the west end of the Channel:
British freighter SS Copsewood, 599 tons, bound from Bordeaux for Middlesbrough with a load of pit props.
Norwegian freighter SS Ida, 1,300 tons, carrying a load of fruit from Valencia to Liverpool.
Jeß's score is now 4 ships and 7,785 tons.

Bay of Biscay:
Alfred Saalwächter, in U-46, sinks two Allied ships off El Ferrol, Spain:
British freighter SS Aislaby, 2,692 tons, travelling in ballast from Lisbon to Bilbao.
French trawler Goulfar, 259 tons. Goulfar had been captured on the 24th and used as a prison boat.
Saalwächter ends his first patrol with 9 ships and 15,502 tons.

Portugal:
Robert Springer begins his career in UC-34 with the sinking of French schooner Maud, 176 tons, bound from La Pallice for Lisbon.

Mediterranean Sea:
Wolfgang Steinbauer, in UB-47, torpedoes French battleship Gaulois, 11,100 tons, bringing his score to 13 ships and 54,410 tons.

Jimbuna 12-28-16 10:22 AM

28th December 1916

Western Front

Heavy enemy attack on Mort Homme front (Verdun).

Eastern Front

Enemy pursues northwards from Ramnicu Sarat and advances to south-east.

British armoured cars engaged.

Armenia: Turks driven south of Van.

Political, etc.

President Wilson celebrates his 60th birthday today.

Ship Losses:

Oronsay (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean Sea 48 nautical miles (89 km) south east of Malta by SM UC-22 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived, but her captain was taken as a prisoner of war.
Pitho (United Kingdom) The brigantine was scuttled in the English Channel 30 nautical miles (56 km) south east of Start Point, Devon by SM UC-17 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Seedonis (Russia) The three-masted schooner was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean off Lisbon, Portugal (38°02′N 10°26′W) by SM UC-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Union (Norway) The sailing vessel was sunk in the English Channel by SM UC-17 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
317 (French Navy) The torpedo boat struck a mine and sank in the English Channel off Calais with the loss of nine of her crew.

Sailor Steve 12-28-16 01:25 PM

December 28, 1916

In Tondem, Germany, two Zeppelins are destroyed by nature. L-24 is being walked into the shed when a gust of wind pushes the airship into the side of the shed and catches fire. The other Zeppelin in the shed, L-17, is also destroyed.

Air War:
Austrian aircrew of Adolf Heyrowski and Josef Pürer, in Hansa-Brandenburg C.I 29.63, shoot down a Voisin pusher. Victory number 7 for Heyrouski, number 2 for Pürer.

English Channel:
Heinrich Küstner, commanding UB-39, torpedoes French passenger ship SS Rouen, off the Casquets. The damaged ship is towed into Dieppe with 5 casualties.

British freighter SS Suffolk, 7,573 tons, carrying a load of government stores from London to Devonport, hits a mine laid by Egon von Werner in UC-16 off the Oeers lightship. The damaged ship makes it safely to port.

Ralph Wenninger, in UC-17, stops and scuttles two ships off Start Point:
British schooner Pitho, 150 tons, travelling from Cardiff to Cherbourg with a load of coal.
Norwegian sailing vessel Union, 563 tons, carrying a load of logwood from Aquin, Haiti to Le Havre.
Wenninger's score is now 36 ships and 15,132 tons.

Strait of Dover:
French torpedo boat Torpilleur 317 hits a mine laid off Calais by Oskar Steckelberg in UC-1. This is his first sinking.

North Sea:
Hans Howaldt, in UB-40, takes Dutch coaster SS Oldambt, 470 tons, bound from Rotterdam for London, as a prize off Hoofden. His score is now 7 ships and 4,444 tons.

British freighter SS Blonde, 613 tons, en route from North Shields to London with a load of coal, runs aground at Flamborough Head. All 17 crew are rescued.

British freighter SS Laxton, 1,017 tons, sinks following a collision off Spurn Point.

Greenland Sea:
Norwegian trawler Isrypen, 75 tons, runs aground off Svalbard.

Norwegian Sea:
Norwegian trawler Gerd, 73 tons, springs a leak and sinks off Titran, Norway.

Portugal:
Robert Sprenger, in UC-34, sinks Russian schooner Seedonis, 284 tons, en route from Garston to Seville. His score is now 2 ships and 460 tons.

Mediterranean Sea:
Heino von Heimburg, in UC-22, sinks British freighter SS Oronsay, 3,761 tons, bound from Calcutta for Dundee with a load of jute and manganese ore. His score is now 12 ships and 29,082 tons.

South Africa:
British freighter SS Obell, 1,797 tons, carrying a load of graphite, beans, and raffa from Madagascar to London, is wrecked off the mouth of the Banshee River.

Jimbuna 12-29-16 09:53 AM

29th December 1916

Western Front

At Verdun, Germany troops attack French positions on a two-mile front at Le’Homme Morte and gain some ground.

Eastern Front

Heavy fighting continues on Moldavian frontier; some enemy progress in the Oitoz valley.

Enemy advance north and east from Ramnicu Sarat continued.

Political, etc.

General Haig declares that the “great victory” at the Somme proves the Allies will be able to defeat the Germans in the war.

Some members of the British Labour Party urge a 25% levy on capital and to break up large estates to raise money for the war.

French and British ministers, in Conference for last three days, arrive at complete agreement.

Germany warns its citizens that food shortages will continue next year even if the war ends.

Norway, Sweden, and Denmark express support for the U.S. proposal to mediate a peace in Europe.

Ship Losses:

Alondra (United Kingdom) The passenger-cargo ship was wrecked on Kedge Rock off Baltimore, County Cork, Ireland, with the loss of 16 crew members. Twenty-three survivors were saved by a Royal National Lifeboat Institution lifeboat and the crews of Royal Navy trawlers lifting men up cliffs from the wreck.
Lonada (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 6 (Werner von Zerboni di Sposetti) and sank in the North Sea 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) north by east of the Shipwash Lightship ( United Kingdom) with the loss of six of her crew.
Tuskar (Russia) The cargo ship was sunk in the North Sea 60 nautical miles (110 km) east of Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, United Kingdom by SM U-48 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
HMS Ludlow (Royal Navy) The Racecourse-class minesweeper struck a mine laid by UC 6 (Werner von Zerboni di Sposetti) and sank in the North Sea off the Shipwash Lightship ( United Kingdom) (51°51′N 1°20′E) with the loss of six of her crew.

Sailor Steve 12-29-16 12:11 PM

December 29, 1916

Ireland:
British freighter SS Alondra,2,244 tons, en route from Las Palmas to Liverpool with a general cargo, runs aground outside Baltimre Harbour, Cork, in a thick fog.

British freighter SS Lennox, 3,667 tons, carrying a load of coal from Barry to Port Said, is wrecked at South Saltee Island. All 45 crew are saved by the Kilmore lifeboat.

North Sea:
Berndt Buß, commanding U-48, sinks Russian freighter SS Tuskar, 3,042 tons, bound from Achangelsk for London with a load of hides and skins. His score is now 6 ships and 16,518 tons.

British freighter SS Zoroaster, 3,803 tons, carrying a load of coal from Tyne to an unnamed destination, hits a mine laid by Benno von Ditfurth in UC-11 near the Sunk lightship. His score is now 5 ships and 9,963 tons.

Thee British ships run afoul of a minefield laid near the Shipwash lightship by Werner von Zerboni di Sposetti, beginning his career in UC-6:
Freighter SS Lonada, 1,286 tons, travelling from Tyne to London with a load of coal.
Minesweeper HMS Ludlow, 810 tons.
Minesweeper HMS Totnes, 810 tons.
Totnes is only damaged, and von Zerboni's opening score is 2 ships and 2,096 tons.

Norwegian fishing vessel Fram, 54 tons, is sunk in a collision with freighter SS Osnes off the Tyrhaug lighthouse.

Bay of Biscay:
Heinrich Jeß, in U-79, captures Danish freighter SS Danmark and keeps her for supply purposes.

Canada:
Canadian schooner Lena F. Oxner, 99 tons, founders off Liverpool, Nova Scotia.

United States:
American schooner Yemassee, 1,257 tons, carrying a load of coal from Philadelphia to Boston, founders in Massachusetts Bay.

Jimbuna 12-30-16 08:10 AM

30th December 1916

Eastern Front

Very heavy fighting on whole Romanian front.

Enemy progress at various points in mountains and south-east of Ramnicu Sarat, but checked between here and Focsani.

Bulgars and Turks advance slowly towards Macin.

Political, etc.

Allied nations issue a joint statement rejecting Germany’s “empty and insincere” peace offer.

Charles I of Austria-Hungary: “Our enemies are finally commencing to understand that they cannot conquer us.”

Ship Losses:

Apsleyhall (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean Sea 28 nautical miles (52 km) west by north of Gozo, Malta by SM UC-22 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived, but her captain was taken as a prisoner of war.
Borre (Norway) The cargo ship was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 16 nautical miles (30 km) north east of Cape Finisterre, Spain (43°12′N 9°23′W) by SM U-70 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Danmark (Denmark) The cargo ship was scuttled in the Bay of Biscay off Vivero, Galicia, Spain (45°55′N 8°00′W) by SM U-79 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Edda (Norway) The cargo ship was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 3.5 nautical miles (6.5 km) north west of Cape Finisterre (43°11′N 9°19′W) by SM U-70 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Jean (United Kingdom) The sailing vessel was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 60 nautical miles (110 km) east of the St Paul Rocks, Brazil by SMS Geier ( Kaiserliche Marine).
HMT Relevo (Royal Navy) The naval trawler was wrecked in the Mediterranean Sea off El Arish, Egypt.
Sappho (Greece) The cargo ship was sunk in the English Channel 25 nautical miles (46 km) north of the Île Vierge, Finistère, France (48°45′N 4°40′W) by SM UC-46 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

Sailor Steve 12-30-16 09:26 AM

December 30, 1916

Air War:
German pilot Friedrich Mallinckrodt, flying an Albatros D.I, claims a Caudron, but it is unconfirmed.

English Channel:
British tanker SS Aspenleaf, 7,535 tons, bound from Port Arthur for Portsmouth with a load of oil fuel, hits a mine laid off the Owers lightship by Egon von Werner in UC-16. The damaged ship makes it safely to port.

Friedrich Moecke, in UC-46, sinks Greek freighter SS Sappho, 2,087 tons, travelling from Alexandria to Hull with a load of cottonseed. His score is now 8 ships and 11,456 tons.

Spain:
Otto Wünsche, in U-70, stops and scuttles two Norwegian freighters off Cape Finisterre:
SS Borre, 741 tons carrying a load of fruit from Valencia to Hull.
SS Edda, 1,138 tons, en route from Seville to Preston with a load of pyrites.
Wünsche's score is now 36 ships and 44,331 tons.

Heinrich Jeß, in U-79, scuttles Danish freighter SS Danmark, 1,875 tons, captured the previous day, off Viveiro. His score is now 5 ships and 9,660 tons.

Mediterranean Sea:
Heino von Heimburg, in UC-22, torpedoes British freighter SS Apsleyhall, 3,882 tons, travelling from Karachi to Cardiff with a load of wheat, off Gozo Island (Għawdex in Maltese), just north of Malta. His score is now 13 ships and 42,964 tons.

His Majesty's Trawler Revelo, 176 tons, is wrecked at El Arish, Egypt.

Jimbuna 12-31-16 11:38 AM

31st December 1916

Eastern Front

Further enemy progress in Moldavian mountains and west and south of Focsani.

Bulgars fail in attack on Braila bridgehead, but carry positions east of Macin.

Magharah Wells, Hassana and Nakhl (Sinai) cleared of enemy.

Political, etc.

Paris Municipal Council adopts “decisive victory” as the New Year’s resolution for France.

French military announces it took 78,500 German prisoners during the Battle of Verdun.

Kaiser Wilhelm to troops: “All their [Allied] assaults, East and West, have collapsed owing to your bravery and devotion.”

Russian Duma adopts a resolution stating “dark forces” inside the nation are hampering its war efforts.

A group of Russian monarchists assassinate Grigori Rasputin in the belief it would save the Tsar.

Ship Losses:

Eva (Norway) The cargo ship was scuttled in the English Channel 10 nautical miles (19 km) south of The Lizard, Cornwall, United Kingdom (49°47′N 5°10′W) by SM UB-18 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Flora (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 25 nautical miles (46 km) south west of the Wolf Rock, Cornwall by SM UB-18 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Protector (United Kingdom) The pilot boat struck a mine laid by UC 31 (Otto von Schrader) and sank in the River Tyne with the loss of nineteen lives.
Venus (French Navy) The naval trawler struck a mine laid by UC 23 (Johannes Kirchner) and sank in the Aegean Sea off Milos, Greece with the loss of nine of her crew.

Editorial Cartoon: The Worst Year Ever ─ Chicago Tribune
http://i.imgur.com/AbW322H.jpg

Sailor Steve 12-31-16 02:35 PM

December 31, 1916

Air War:
At this time home air defence in Britain involve 12,000 officers and men manning anti-aircraft guns and 2,200 officers and men operating 110 aircraft in 12 RFC squadrons.

According to Idflieg's bi-monthly report the German Air Service has the following fighters operating at the front:

Albatros:
D.I----39
D.II--214
D.III--13

Fokker:
D.I-----4
D.II---68
D.III--34
D.IV----2
E-II-----1
E.III---11
E.IV-----2

Halberstadt:
D.II----55
D.III---17
D.V----32

LFG Roland:
D.I------7

Pfalz:
E.I-------1

SSW:
E.I-------2

Supposedly all Fokker aircraft were grounded at the beginning of December, but those numbers are still reported as front-line aircraft, and one or two pilots are still claiming kills in them.

The precise date is unknown, but sometime in December French ace Marcel Viallet scored his 9th and last victory. He will survive the war and continue to serve in the military. While on service in Morocco Viallet contracted a disease and died on September 21, 1925, one month after his 38th birthday.

English Channel:
Claus Lafrenz, commanding UB-18, stops and scuttles 2 Norwegian freighters south of the Lizard:
SS Eva, 1,081 tons, bound from Swansea for Rouen with a load of coal.
SS Flora, 1,033 tons, carrying a load of coal from Swansea to Cantenay.
Lafrenz's score is now 24 ships and 22,384 tons.

British schooner Bayawanna, 1,121 tons, en route from Dartmouth to Plymouth, founders off Stoke Point.

North Sea:
British pilot boat Protector, 200 tons, hits a mine laid in the River Tyne by Otto von Schrader in UC-31. Von Scrader's score is now 9 ships and 6,026 tons.

Erwin Sebelin, in UC-43, captures Norwegian freighter SS Lupus, 539 tons, traveling from Øierhavn to Amsterdam with a load of pyrites. This is Sebelin's first attack.

Aegean Sea:
French naval trawler Venus, 281 tons, hits a mine laid of Milos by Johannes Kirchner in UC-23. His score is now 5 ships and 14,985 tons.

Jimbuna 01-01-17 05:34 PM

1st January 1917

Western Front

Normal activity proceeding.

Sir Douglas Haig promoted to Field Marshal.

Eastern Front

Stubborn fighting in Carpathians on Moldavian frontier; slight enemy progress at various points. Enemy in touch with Sereth lines at Focsani and Fundeni.

Further enemy progress at the Macin bridgehead (Dobruja).

General Sir R. Wingate becomes High Commissioner of Egypt.

Transport "Ivernia" sunk by submarine in Mediterranean; over 100 missing.
http://i.imgur.com/OMQ5GQD.jpg

British carry German lines near Lissaki in the Mgeta valley (German East Africa), and pursue enemy towards the Rufiji valley at Kibambawe.

Political, etc.

Britain raises train fares, except those for commuters, by 50% and limits luggage to 100 pounds.

Bankruptcies in Germany fell this year with 2,277 cases, compared to 4,580 in 1915 and 7,738 in 1914.

Publication of denunciation by Turkey of Treaty of Paris (1856) and Treaty of Berlin (1878).

Ship Losses:

Baycraig (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean Sea 84 nautical miles (156 km) east south east of Malta (35°32′N 16°10′E) by SM UC-22 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived, but her captain was taken as a prisoner of war.
Britannic (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 44 nautical miles (81 km) west of Leixões, Portugal (40°58′N 9°30′W) by SM UC-37 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Goosebridge (Sweden) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 10 nautical miles (19 km) west north west of Ouessant, Finistère, France[5] (48°39′N 5°13′W) by SM UC-46 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Holly Branch (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 14 nautical miles (26 km) north east by north of the Île de Batz, Finistère, France (48°59′N 3°56′W) by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Ivernia (United Kingdom) The troopship was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean Sea 58 nautical miles (107 km) south east of Cape Matapan, Greece (35°30′N 22°53′E) by SM UB-47 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of 125 lives. Survivors were rescued by HMS Rifleman and a number of naval trawlers (all Royal Navy).
Laupar (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 40 nautical miles (74 km) west north west of Oporto, Portugal by SM U-79 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Leon (France) The coaster was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 13 nautical miles (24 km) north north east of the Triagoz Lighthouse, Finistère by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Sussex (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 1 (Oskar Steckelberg) and was damaged in the North Sea 4 nautical miles (7.4 km) off Gravelines, Pas-de-Calais, France. She was beached without loss of life. Later refloated, repaired and returned to service.
Tsiropinas (Greece) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean off Ferrol, Galicia, Spain (45°35′N 8°19′W) by SM U-70 ( Kaiserliche Marine).

Sailor Steve 01-01-17 09:35 PM

January 1, 1917

Air War:
1515 Italian pilot Fulco di Clabria, flying a Nieuport 17, claims an Albatros two-seater, but it is unconfirmed.

1600 Italian ace Francesco Baracca, in a Nieuport 17, shoots down a Hansa-Brandenburg C.I for victory number 6.

English Channel:
Heinrich Küstner, commanding UB-39, sinks two ships north of Ile de Batz:
British freighter SS Holly Branch, 3,568 tons, bound from La Plata for Le Havre with a load of oats in bags.
French freighter SS Leon, 652 tons, travelling in ballast from Tréport to Brest.
Küstner's score is now 20 ships and 33,048 tons.

Friedrich Moecke, in UC-46, sinks Swedish freighter SS Goosebridge, 1,886 tons, carrying a load of coal from Port Talbot to Saint Nazaire. His score is now 9 ships and 13,342 tons.

North Sea:
British freighter SS Sussex, 5,686 tons, en route from Sydney to Dunkirk with a load of meat, hits a mine laid by Oskar Steckelberg in UC-1 north of Gravelines, just east of the Strait of Dover. The damaged ship is beached, then refloated and repaired.

Norwegian freighter SS Avis, 1,074 tons, carrying a load of coal from Methil to Svendborg, is wrecked off Østhassel, Norway.

Bay of Biscay:
Otto Wünsche, in U-70, sinks Greek freighter SS Tsirophinas, 3,015 tons, carrying a load of maize from Buenos Ayres to Belfast. His score is now 37 ships and 47,346 tons.

Portugal:
Heinrich Jeß, in U-79, sinks Norwegian freighter SS Laupar, 1,407 tons, en route from Malaga to Glasgow with a load of fish. His score is now 6 ships and 11,067 tons.

Otto Launberg, in UC-37, sinks Norwegian freighter SS Britannic, 2,289 tons, travelling from Almeria to Barrow with a load of irone ore, off Leixoes. This is his first sinking.

Mediterranean Sea:
Wolfgang Steinbauer, in UB-47, sinks British passenger liner SS Ivernia, 14,278 tons, south of Cape Matapan, the southernost point of Greece. Ivernia is acting as a troopship and suffers 125 casualties. Steinbauer's score is now 14 ships and 68,688 tons.

Heino von Heimburg, n UC-22, sinks British freighter SS Baycraig, 3,761 tons, carrying a load of sugar from Port Loouis, Maritius to Marseeille. His score is now 14 ships and 46,635 tons.

Zanzibar:
In anticipation of a long-overdue refit, the crew of monitor HMS Severn are transferred to HM Fleet Messenger Trent.

A note on sources: I don't post every source every day for the simple reason that there are so many.
Aviation sources consist of The Aerodrome website, Wikipedia's 1917 in Aviation page, Ciel de Gloire.com (Piotes As Francais), Albindenis.free.fr (Escadrilles Francaises), UKSerials.com, Specific Wiki pages on different pilots, and a variety of books I've purchased:
Under the Guns of the Red Baron, by Norman Franks, Hal Giblin and Nigel McCreery
Under the Guns of the German Aces, by Norman Franks and Hal Giblin
Under the Guns of the Kaiser's Aces, by Norman Franks and Hal Giblin
Sharks Among Minnows, by Norman Franks
KeKs and Fokkerstaffels, by Johan Ryheul
Albatros Aces of World War 1, by Norman Franks
Albatros Aces of World War 1, Part 2, by Greg Vanwyngarden
Albatros D.I-D.II, by James F. Miller
Austro-Hungarian Aces of World War 1, by Christopher Chant
DH.2 vs Albatros D.I/D.II, by James F. Miller
Early German Aces of World War 1, by Greg VanWyngarden
FE.2b/d vs Albatros Scouts: Western Front 1916-17, by James F. Miller
Nieuport 11 Bebe vs Fokker Eindecker, Western Front 1916, by Jon Guttman
Nieuport Aces of World War 1, by Norman Franks
Pusher Aces of World War 1, by Jon Guttman
Reconnaissance and Bomber Aces of World War 1, by Jon Guttman
Russian Aces of World War 1, by Victor Kulikov
SPAD VII Aces of World War 1, by Jon Guttman

Naval sources include U-boat.net, Wrecksite.eu, Naval History.net (British warships' logs), and a couple of books:
The Great War at Sea, by Richard Hough
Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships, 1906-1921

Jimbuna 01-02-17 02:26 PM

2nd January 1917

Eastern Front

Enemy attack repulsed near Zloczow (north-eastern Galicia).

Continued heavy fighting in Moldavian mountains.

Enemy advance between frontier and Focsani; Russian successful counter-attacks south-east of that town.

Enemy advance near Macin continues.

Political, etc.

Reports show Allied nations captured a combined total of at least 582,723 prisoners on all fronts last year.

Japan notifies the U.S. that its merchant ships passing through the Panama Canal will be armed to protect against German U-boats.

Italian government orders its cities to increase food production by cultivating available public land, including city parks.

M. Bratianu, Premier of Romania, reconstitutes Cabinet.

Ship Losses:

Aconcagua (France) The full-rigged ship was shelled and sunk in the Bay of Biscay (46°11′N 7°26′W) by SM U-70 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Aristotelis C. Ioannou (Greece) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 30 nautical miles (56 km) west of Cape Roca, Portugal (38°55′N 9°48′W) by SM UC-37 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Asnières (France) The crew were captured by the merchant raider Moewe ( Kaiserliche Marine) which then sank the four-masted barque close to the St Peter and St Paul rocks in the Atlantic Ocean.
Bestik (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 30 nautical miles (56 km) south west of the Bishop Rock, Isles of Scilly, United Kingdom[17] by SM UB-18 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Carlyle (United Kingdom) The coaster was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) west south west of the Île de Sein Lighthouse, Finistère, France by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Dimitrios Goulandris (Greece) The cargo ship was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 30 nautical miles (56 km) west of Cape Roca (39°10′N 9°50′W) by SM UC-37 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Edward Arthur (United Kingdom) The schooner was wrecked on Lundy Island, Devon.
Ellik ( Norway The coaster was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 40 nautical miles (74 km) south west of the Bishop Rock by SM UB-18 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her fourteen crew were rescued, eight of them by Elisabeth van België ( Belgium). The second lifeboat with the rest of the crew landed on the Isles of Scilly.
El Toro (United Kingdom) The tanker foundered in the Atlantic Ocean 300 nautical miles (560 km) north west of Clogherhead, County Louth.
Gallier (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean by U-95 ( Kaiserliche Marine) 7 nautical miles (13 km) east north east of the Wolf Rock, Cornwall.
Johannes (Russia) The schooner was wrecked at Cadiz, Spain.
Notre Dame du Verger (France) The three-masted schooner was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 12 nautical miles (22 km) off Cape Roca by SM UC-37 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Odda (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 70 nautical miles (130 km) south west of Ouessant, Finistère[30] (47°30′N 6°20′W) by SM U-70 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Older (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 25 nautical miles (46 km) west of Oporto, Portugal[32] (41°07′N 9°42′W) by SM U-79 ( Kaiserliche Marine).[33] Her crew were rescued by Charkow ( Denmark).
Omnium (France) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 120 nautical miles (220 km) west south west of Penmarc'h, Finistère (47°26′N 7°10′W) by SM U-82 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
San Leandro (Spain) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean (approximately 46°40′N 7°00′W) by SM U-70 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
HMT Teal (Royal Navy) The naval trawler was lost on this date.

Sailor Steve 01-02-17 02:44 PM

January 2, 1917

Air War:
1130 Russian pilot Ivan Vasilievich Smirnov, in Nieuport 10 N722 with a Captain Pentko as observer, shoots down Aviatik C.I 2775/16 for victory number 1. The crew are both killed.

Galicia-born Austro-Hungarian pilot Godwin Brumowski, flying Hansa-Brandenburg C.I 68.24 with Julius Györffy as observer, shoots down a Farman two-seater for victory number 5.

Ireland:
British tanker SS El Toro, 5,958 tons, bound from Sabine, Texas for an unnamed destination, is wriecked near Clogher Head.

British freighter SS Nestorian, 6,395 tons, carrying a load of cotton and steel ingots from Galveston, Texas to Liverpool, is wrecked off Cape Clear, County Cork.

Irish Sea:
British schooner Duke of York, 50 tons, sinks following a collision with freighter SS Dublin.

Bristol Channel:
British schooner Edward Arthur, 130 tons, travelling from Waterford to Cardiff with a load of oats, is wrecked at Lundy Island.

Celtic Sea:
Claus Lafrenz, commanding UB-18, sinks two Norwegian freighters off Bishop Rock:
SS Bestik, 2,185 tons, bound from Cardiff for Philippeville with a load of coal.
SS Ellik, 603 tons, carrying a load of pit props from Villagarcia to Swansea.
Lafrenz's score is now 26 ships and 25,172 tons.

English Channel:
Heinrich Küstner, in UB-39, sinks British coaster SS Carlyle, 466 tons, carrying a general cargo from Manchester to La Pallice. His score is now 21 ships and 33,514 tons.

Bay of Biscay:
Otto Wünsche, in U-70, sinks three Allied ships:
French freighter SS Aconcagua, 1,313 tons, en route from Antofagasta, Chile to La Pallice with a load of nitrate; sunk with the deck gun.
Norwegian freighter SS Odda, 1,101 tons, carrying a load of pyrites from Huelva to Rouen.
Spanish freighter SS San Leandro, 1,616 tons, travelling from Malaga to London with a load of fruit.
Wünsche's score is now 40 ships and 51,376 tons.

Hans Adam, in U-82, sinks French freighter SS Omnium, 8,719 tons, en route from New Orleans to Saint Nazaire with an unspecified cargo. His score is now 6 ships and 10,681 tons.

Portugal:
Heinrich Jeß, in U-79, sinks Norwegian freighter SS Older, 2,256 tons, Bound from Newport for Gibraltar with a load of coal, just west of Oporto. His score is now 7 ships and 13.323 tons.

Otto Launburg, in UC-32, sinks three ships off Cape Roca:
Greek freighter SS Aristotelis C. Ioannou, 2,868 tons, cravelling from Bouenos Aires to Belfast with a load of maize.
Greek freighter SS Dimitrios Goulandris, 3,744 tons, carrying a load of wheat from Buenos Aires to Avonmouth; sunk by deck gun.
French schooner Notre Dame du Verger, 227 tons, en route from Swansea to Lisbon; scuttled.
Launburg's score is now 4 ships and 9,128 tons.

Egypt:
Russian battleship Peresvyet, 13,500 tons, is sunk by a mine laid by Gustav Seiß in U-73 off Port Said. His score is now 14 ships and 108,041 tons.

Chile:
Chilean troop transport Casma, 2,627 tons, hits a rock off Navarion Island.

Atlantic Ocean:
German surface raider SMS Möwe stops and scuttles French barque Asnières, 3,103 tons, carrying 3,000 tons of wheat from Bahia Blanca, Argentina to Pauillac, France.

Jimbuna 01-03-17 05:23 PM

3rd January 1917

Eastern Front

Germans take island in Dvina near Glandau, north-west of Dvinsk.

Successful Russian attack near Mt. Botosul (Bukovina).

Enemy advance in region of Milcovu, north-west of Focsani.

Germans and Bulgarians take Macin and Jijila (Dobruja).

Political, etc.

Admiralty reasserts "immemorial" right of merchant-ships to defend themselves against attack or search by an enemy.

Former President Theodore Roosevelt says Wilson’s attempts to mediate a peace is “immoral,” as it helps Germany.

Ship Losses:

Angela (Italy The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 35 nautical miles (65 km) west of Cape St. Vincent, Portugal by SM U-79 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Capricieuse (France) The schooner was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 12 nautical miles (22 km) west south west of Cape St. Vincent by SM UC-37 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Columbia (France) The fishing vessel was scuttled in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime (46°27′N 2°28′W) by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Diamant de la Couronne I (France) The fishing vessel was scuttled in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle (46°27′N 2°28′W) by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Diamant de la Couronne II (France) The fishing vessel was scuttled in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle (46°27′N 2°28′W) by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Fama (Norway) The cargo ship was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean south west of Spain (36°47′N 8°43′W) by SM UC-37 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Formidable (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Helgøy (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Bay of Biscay 10 nautical miles (19 km) south of the Chassiron Lighthouse, Charente-Maritime (45°55′N 1°35′W) by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of a crew member.
Honneur et Devouement (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Jeanne Mathilde (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
La Pensee (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Marie Henriette (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Moderne (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Petite Emile (France) The fishing vessel was scuttled in the Bay of Biscay 40 nautical miles (74 km) west of the Baleines Lighthouse, Seine-Maritime by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Père Montfort (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Pierre le Grand (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Richelieu (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Saint Jacques (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle (46°27′N 2°28′W) by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Saint Paul II (France) The fishing vessel was sunk in the Bay of Biscay off La Rochelle by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Valladares (Portugal) The sailing vessel was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean (43°30′N 9°48′W) by SM U-79 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Viking (Denmark) The coaster was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean by SM U-82 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.