SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Who will win the 2020 US Presidential Election? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=245801)

August 09-29-20 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2698168)
If Trump can delay the countign of mail ballot slogn enough,

You do realize Mr. Expert at Everyones Business that the POTUS or his administration does not count the vote? He can't delay it, he can't speed it up. That is up to the election authorities of each of the 50 states.

mapuc 09-29-20 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 2698284)
You do realize Mr. Expert at Everyones Business that the POTUS or his administration does not count the vote? He can't delay it, he can't speed it up. That is up to the election authorities of each of the 50 states.

The same goes here in Denmark and in Sweden.

The politicians CAN'T affect the counting of the votes or try to alter them after the ballot boxes have closed at 2000 hrs local time.

Only before the politicians can try to affect the voters.

Markus

Sean C 09-29-20 11:29 PM

[REDACTED]

You know, I just posted about being nice to each other. I'll take that back. Apologies.

skidman 09-30-20 01:30 AM

Debating Donald Trump is like debating a chimpanzee: he is less likely to deliver a thoughtful and substantive answer than he is to throw his own feces at you.
Moira Donegan, The Guardian

Skybird 09-30-20 03:31 AM

Ekelhaft.

The declaration of political bancruptcy of america. More worse than worse. The parties should be execut ed for daring to set up these candidates - and for their(the parties') own self-understanding. Trump certainly showed his true inner essence: dirt from the gutter. Biden showed he has not the strength to be a full time president.

Worse than I feared. Americas political culture is done. Dead, buried and rotten. Nothing left to pay it tribute for or to respect it for. The idealistic legacy was promsing and respectable. The present is a toxic waste pit.

:down::down::down::down:

Zum Kotzen.

Skybird 09-30-20 04:39 AM

https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/...arungseid.html

Donald Trump's appearance was the condensed version of his presidency: loud, unrestricted, arrogant and poor in substance. The TV duel is an example of what happens when the unwritten norms of civil discourse are abandoned.

If there's one constant in Donald Trump's tenure, it's this: rules are only there to be broken by him. And decency is for losers. And so it is no wonder that the first TV duel of the current presidential campaign quickly turned into a screaming event because Trump constantly interrupted the answers of his challenger Joe Biden.

Moderator Chris Wallace called Trump to order after just a few minutes and accused him several times of breaking the rules that his team had expressly agreed to. Which didn't stop the president from acting like the head bully in the schoolyard. Quite a few observers said afterwards that it was the worst TV debate between presidential candidates they had ever seen. In lightning polls, more than two-thirds of viewers said that they were mainly angry about the TV duel.

Although Biden lost his composure every now and then, the blame for this mud fight clearly lies with the incumbent president - and with the moderator Chris Wallace, who failed to bring Trump under control. In order to save Wallace's honor, however, it must be said that this would only have been possible if he had simply turned off the microphone to Trump at some point. And he probably lacked the courage to do so.

Trump's appearance was in a way the condensed version of his presidency: an irrepressible urge to break rules, constant lies and falsehoods (far more than Biden), full of self-importance and poor in substance. Trump even interrupted Biden when he was talking about his son Beau, who had served as a US soldier in Iraq and later died of cancer.

This debate revealed little about content and policy approaches. Most importantly, it showed that America has a behavioral president who lacks self-control - but that's not exactly new news. And that Biden might not be an exciting challenger, but at least someone with common sense and a stable personality. And that would bring something like normalcy back to the White House after the years of Trump’s chaos and state of emergency.

But the TV duel also showed that the election day thing will probably not be over. Trump spoke again of election manipulation and raised doubts about the integrity of the electoral process. Again, it sounded like preparing a line of reasoning so as not to recognize the election if he should lose. Trump also refused to explicitly condemn white racists. When asked about the “Proud Boys”, the neo-Nazis who have just tried to stir up Portland, Trump said they should “hold back and be ready”. Stand by for what? Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue. On the other hand, it is not the first time that Trump has toyed with the idea of ​​violent conflict after the election. "It won't end well," Trump said of the upcoming election. Perhaps one of his most honest statements that evening.

This debate exemplified what happens when the unwritten norms of civil democratic discourse, which Trump has eroded like no other president before him, are abandoned. The TV debate was an oath of revelation in how far America has fallen in the Trump era. And it should be a cautionary example for other democracies of what can happen if you vote a bully like Trump to really stir up politics and punish the establishment.

Now the Americans have to decide whether they want to endure this kind of unbounded discourse for another four years.

---------------------------------------------------

And I add: their decision falls back on them. A population that accepts such a brutal, unlimited political degeneration from its parties and politicians as is to be seen since many years in the US, has given up its claim to cultural participation in the civilized world.
This night was a game changer for me, kind of. I always was critical of the difference between how the US was meant, its idealistic fundaments in history, and the disillusionising present, but felt a principal sympathy for it, still. But even that sympathy came more and more under stress and test in the past three years. And now its over, it died tonight. From me America has nothing to expect anymore. The wanring from how easily Trump became possible and came to powers, will never be forgotten again. What was possible once can happen easily twice. And become the norm.

Bilge_Rat 09-30-20 07:00 AM

Please.

That is just typical anti-Trump spin.

I watched the debate.

Trump was vintage Trump, about what you would expect.

Biden did not drool, but he looked old and he clearly did not know how to handle Trump's attacks.

The debate won't change anyone's mind. If you are a Trump supporter, you will think he did well. If you are a Biden supporter, you will think he did well.

Personally, I am even more convinced that Biden is just plain too old and lacks the mental acuity to be President. Sad.

Skybird 09-30-20 07:43 AM

No, done with it all. That these two are all a political system meant to rule 330 million people is able and willing to set up for choice, is a revelation, and is telltale. Senile Mr. Harmless and Tyranno Shameless Rex. Ugh, America! Ugh! Pfui Deibel!

The party headquarters, congress, senate, ministries and white house need huge doses of this, sprayed by helicopters.

https://www.buschmann-buero.de/media...b/A010170G.jpg

AVGWarhawk 09-30-20 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2698327)
https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/...arungseid.html

[I]Donald Trump's appearance was the condensed version of his presidency: loud, unrestricted, arrogant and poor in substance. The TV duel is an example of what happens when the unwritten norms of civil discourse are abandoned.

And loving it. :03: Maybe civil norms in politics was never civil. Just a matter of perspective.

Skybird 09-30-20 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk (Post 2698385)
And loving it. :03: Maybe civil norms in politics was never civil. Just a matter of perspective.

An attempt to relativise the immense damage done by Trump. But he sets new records in political misbehaviour. And they are nullifying the old marks by others before by quantum leaps. The destruction is without precedence in American and modern Western history at least.

mapuc 09-30-20 11:33 AM

Following statement is based on my own opinion/standpoint regarding this debate.

They say they couldn't find a decisive winner in last night debate. I on the other hand can say who lost this debate.

Mr. Trump.

I say his behavior was disgraceful...not a statesman worthy

But what do I know about American politics and the rhetoric used in these presidential election.

Biden was a disaster too. Weak. He wasn't aggressive enough, he shouldn't have let Trump interrupting him so easy-which was he many times lost the thread.

Markus

Catfish 09-30-20 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2698405)
Following statement is based on my own opinion/standpoint regarding this debate.
They say they couldn't find a decisive winner in last night debate. I on the other hand can say who lost this debate.
Mr. Trump. [...] Markus

We really want to stay out of this, but

https://i.imgur.com/aXWlOUGl.jpg

mapuc 09-30-20 03:56 PM

^ There's another thing Some voters may see Trump aggressive behaviour as a sign of "A person who know what to do and not afraid to take charge" -
While some voters may see Biden "as a very defensive candidate unable to take charge when needed"

The next poll will be interesting to read.

Markus

Onkel Neal 09-30-20 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2698450)
We really want to stay out of this, but

https://i.imgur.com/aXWlOUGl.jpg

Amen that, brother. :k_confused:

I think someone finally got smart and maybe the next debate will fix this by adding a mute button for the moderator. Then we can see Trumpy's lips flapping but not hear any sound from him. Maybe, just maybe, that will fix his brain-dead rudeness.

If Biden somehow pulls it out and wins this election I'm going to LMAO at Trump.

Texas Red 09-30-20 04:33 PM

I watched it for only like a minute and I knew it was gonna be a disaster. I just went to my room and continued watching NCIS.....

Sometimes, America seems like its gonna fall apart.

Anyways, I'm much to young to be doing this kind of stuff. But its all I see on the news:

Trump says (insert crazy terriost like statement)
Trump says (insert "leftist" comment)
Coronavirus is (Insert depressing event or statstic)

NEGATIVES NEGATIVES NEGATIVES!

Just give us something that can lift our spirits and raise American morale? Give us actual news, where you present both sides instead of just one side that usually supports each politcal parties stances or values. I remember my mom telling us that there are signs that the curve is flatenning in our area. Oh boy did I feel happy. This was in the middle or a little bit after the lockdown, and we heard depressing news about the Poltical stuff or the pandemic or riots and looting in Chicago most of the time, and it felt good.

All we need, or I need, now is some positive things to help lift our spirits. I am constantly thinking Will I wake up tomorrow and find out my mother tested positive? Is tomorrow or next week guarranteed to me? Will my time be up before I even turn 14? Will I even see the end of the pandemic?

Thoughts that don't weigh very well on a young mind...

Morale right now for me is not very good, and the debate did not help either. I wish we had a leader like Abraham Lincoln or FDR take over and navigate us through this mess.

I just wish we had something positive for once.