SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [WIP] Lighthouses mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228731)

Kendras 06-10-17 02:50 PM

I need to open .raw files but I don't have photoshop .... :damn:

Kendras 06-10-17 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2490192)
...but as I said before, your clean drawing will make little difference once it is scaled down to fit in the small space of SHIII's terrain masks.

Yes, probably for the terrain. But it will be very useful to build the harbour ! :yep:

Here what it looks like with 200x200 meters for each pixel :

http://i.imgur.com/8s8lyfk.png

gap 06-10-17 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2490219)
I need to open .raw files but I don't have photoshop .... :damn:

Don't GIMP or paint.NET have a raw file plugin?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2490224)
Yes, probably for the terrain. But it will be very useful to build the harbour ! :yep:

Who will notice if the harbour is stretched out a bit? :03:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2490214)
It's very easy to get the exact coordinates of a lighthouse with the mission editor.

Sure, but what would happen if where it was supposed to be land, there is only water? :03:

Quote:

I already though about that question, and I don't see how to do this (halo with different colors depending on the angle). And I don't understand the link between angles on charts, and equirectangular projection. :06:

I need to think a way to do it :hmmm:

Quote:

I hope so too ! By the way, are you still working on the british coastal defenses ?

Sure, the working files are still on my HD :salute:

Kendras 06-10-17 05:32 PM

The islands would be so better rendered with 50x50 meters squares ! ... :wah:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2490235)
Don't GIMP or paint.NET have a raw file plugin?

For now, the plugins I've tried don't work with Paint.net. :hmph:

Quote:

Sure, but what would happen if where it was supposed to be land, there is only water?

This will never happen, because we will first check the altitude with a land unit, which also will give us the exact location. :03:

Quote:

Sure, the working files are still on my HD :salute:

Ready to share ? :D

gap 06-10-17 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2490250)
The islands would be so better rendered with 50x50 meters squares ! ... :wah:

Who knows if we can replace the SHIII terrain with the one of SH5? Apparently the two games share the same terrain format, but even if it worked, probably all the harbors and terrain objects would be messed up :hmmm:

Quote:

For now, the plugins I've tried don't work with Paint.net. :hmph:

Try with GIMP then. I have PS, but apparently we have different ideas on how to edit those raw maps :O:

Quote:

This will never happen, because we will first check the altitude with a land unit, which also will give us the exact location. :03:

Yes sure, there are different ways to do it, but again this is the trial and error method I wanted to avoid...

Quote:

Ready to share ? :D

Not yet. I didn't work on it in a long time, and I still have many pending projects, but if you want it I might move it toward the top of my todo list :03:

Kendras 06-10-17 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2490255)
Who knows if we can replace the SHIII terrain with the one of SH5? Apparently the two games share the same terrain format, but even if it worked, probably all the harbors and terrain objects would be messed up :hmmm:

The best solution would be that you create the 3D model of the islands. :haha:

the_frog 06-11-17 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2490259)

Kendras, why not starting right away? :03:

Kendras 06-11-17 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_frog (Post 2490311)

Are you offering your help to create Helgoland islands 3D model ? :D

I'm not competent at all in 3D modeling and texturing. The only things I can do for this mod are :

- give ideas
- make researches
- make in-game tests
- add the lighthouses locations
- create harbours

Kendras 06-11-17 05:24 AM

Interesting tutorial :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vyNbalvXR4

Edit : Unfortunately, Helgoland is not represented on height maps of terrain.party.

gap 06-11-17 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2490259)

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_frog (Post 2490311)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2490329)
Are you offering your help to create Helgoland islands 3D model ? :D

Kendras, I am afraid making islands bigger than a rocky islet into 3D objects, is not the most efficient way to bring them in game.
Talking about Helgoland and Düne, what for sure can be done is creating a basic terrain representation of them (with the known limitations) and adding to them custom harbor models with fairly realistic docks, breakwaters, buildings etc. The historical pictures you have collected so far will be a valid help, and who cares if the final result wont be 100% identical to the real thing?
After all, the whole SH world is a simplified/distorted representation of the globe, but we still enjoy exploring it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2490344)
Interesting tutorial :

Edit : Unfortunately, Helgoland is not represented on height maps of terrain.party.

I dont have Unity, but the heightmap interpolation can be done with similar results in Blender.
The website is cool, but at the moment only Americas and the westernmost portion of Europe is available. Even so, I tried exporting height dat for the Île de Sein, but all I got is a dark grey map. There are various other websites that heightmaps of the globe can be downloaded from, but unfortunately getting height information at such a small scale is pretty hard. :doh:

Kendras 06-11-17 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2490367)
I dont have Unity

Pretty impressive ! Watch this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMnOZZalzWc

Kendras 06-11-17 08:48 AM

Gap, in order I create harbours at the proper scale, could you create a small "tool" for me ? It would be a simple 3D object (a box) which allows me to measure distances in S3D. So I would like it to be 1 meter high, 10 meters large, and 500 meters long.

* on the 500 meters side, you add marks each 50 meters. The first 50 meters are also divided with small marks each 10 meters. The first 10 meters space is itself divided each 1 meter.

* the 10 meters side is marked each 1 meter. At 5 meters, the mark is longer.

Kendras 06-11-17 09:10 AM

1. A little comparison with the actual Helgoland in SH3.

http://i.imgur.com/8SKBGZ3.png

2. Even that simple model would be better :

https://i942.photobucket.com/albums/...land_total.png

Kendras 06-11-17 11:30 AM

I think Helgoland is not the priority for now. I may try to add your models on the existing terrain. But the LH and light signal placed on Düne must be placed on a land model (covered with sand), because if I place them at the right place, they will be in the water (see my previous post).

Let's concentrate on the french LH. Perhaps the LH of "La Vieille" could be tested in game very soon ? :hmm2:

the_frog 06-11-17 12:34 PM

GWX and all big Mods include a map version (I think created by Tigerkatzitatzi) that gives an "improved" representation of Helgoland + Döne. It is not prefect but better than nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2490417)
I think Helgoland is not the priority for now. I may try to add your models on the existing terrain. But the LH and light signal placed on Düne must be placed on a land model (covered with sand), because if I place them at the right place, they will be in the water (see my previous post).

Let's concentrate on the french LH. Perhaps the LH of "La Vieille" could be tested in game very soon ? :hmm2: