SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 ATO Mods (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   [WIP] The Offical Post of The Surface Warfare Super-Mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=144946)

iambecomelife 01-03-09 10:52 AM

http://rasputin.physics.uiuc.edu/~wi.../pix/Orion.jpg

BTW - for the german raiders, how about including an upgrade/technology to simulate disguises (like the one for "Orion" above)? It could be equipped just like how you equip better weapons & radar for subs. Once enabled it could suppress the detection abilities of enemy units' sensors, simulating them being fooled by your neutral paint scheme. I know this is already possible for U-Boats with the rubber coating that impedes sonar - maybe you could dig around in the files and create a corresponding trick to impede visual sensors...

tater 01-03-09 11:04 AM

^^^ that is a great idea. Lateral thinking in action. :up:

Task Force 01-03-09 11:33 AM

Yes, that's a vary good Idea Iabc.:yep:

iambecomelife 01-03-09 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Task Force
Yes, that's a vary good Idea Iabc.:yep:

Do any of you guys know what files control the rubber coating in SH3 (and/or SH4)? I found it mentioned in Basic.cfg but I'm sure there are additional files. The entries in Basic.cfg seem to be concerned with availability - I would like to find out what controls the actual effect on ships' visual sensors.

ivank 01-03-09 11:54 AM

Thats a great idea IABL! My team and I will look into, if you can help in anyway that would be great!

And any more suggestions would be nice.

tomhugill 01-03-09 12:01 PM

A great piece of thinking IABL could be on to a real winner here:up::rock:

gile 01-03-09 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivank
Starting new carrer with Prince of Wales.
Will update after 1 patrol.

How is that patrol going on then?

ivank 01-03-09 07:26 PM

Bad, not into the Indian Ocean yet

cgjimeneza 01-03-09 07:40 PM

HMS Prince of Wales sailing again

this patrol in Prince of Wales as in "beta"????

or did I MISS something?

happy new year!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivank
Bad, not into the Indian Ocean yet

ivank 01-03-09 09:11 PM

Edit: Ship Sank.

tater 01-05-09 10:47 PM

What, if anything, have you guys done with ship physics? Meaning acceleration, turning radious, etc?

It should take quite a while to build up speed in a BB, for example. For Hood to work up to flank should take something like 20 minutes.

What values have you found useful in this regard in the propulsion part of the sim file?

tomhugill 01-06-09 03:59 AM

Hey , another thing on the list im afarid as we all know the surface ships move far too quickly , its a pity phil thompson as left us as he did alot of good work on this in sh3

tater 01-06-09 09:52 AM

I only found his thread last night (late) as I only tend to end up at SH3 forum by searches (and to look at IABL's pretty ships). I had been looking into the same thing after testing Ise's acceleration.

Ise goes from 0 to 20 knots in 35-36 seconds.

That should take perhaps 10 minutes or more at the very least. She took an additional minute to get from 20 to her max of 25.6.

I fired a fish at her, and she slowed from flank (25.6) to 11 knots inside a few ship lengths to avoid the fish instead of the X miles it should have taken, lol (fish missed, of course).

I was looking at decreasing engine HP when I found the thread, now I'm certainly going to—today. Nice thing is that his work means I can start testing around his final value.

DarkFish 01-06-09 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tater
What, if anything, have you guys done with ship physics? Meaning acceleration, turning radious, etc?

It should take quite a while to build up speed in a BB, for example. For Hood to work up to flank should take something like 20 minutes.

What values have you found useful in this regard in the propulsion part of the sim file?

I haven't changed anything with the ship physics on the ships I've done. I've just copied the values from the original .sim file (and changed them where historically incorrect).
I've done a test with the New Mexico BB, it takes 2.5 minutes for it to reach its maximum speed. That seems to be ok IMO.
AFAIK even heavy ships like BBs could accelerate to flank speed that fast, but only rarely did, as it can damage the engine.

tater 01-06-09 02:26 PM

I have data for HMS Hood, and she took about 27 minutes to work up to flank from zero. Even a DD can't get to that speed in 2 minutes. The min value on the chart I saw (used for pre-war wargaming purposes) was 4-5 minutes to 20 knots for some DDs.

I checked Ise, for example. She can get to flank in ~1.5 minutes. 35 seconds to 20 knots.