SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [REL]Visual and Hydrophone detection issue: a new workaround (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=107989)

cardician 03-30-07 04:46 AM

Yeah, that's definitely a stock SH3 thing. I have that happen all the time. Can be very annoying.

bert8for3 03-30-07 05:44 AM

16k observations

Here are a couple of observations running 16k.

1. Day/cloud abt 6/10. Vis abt 75% relative to perfect. Some fog towards horizon, so I'd say low fog. Small merchant picked up by me at abt 8000 m., spotted by crew at 7700 m.

2. Day. Same conditions. Large cargo seen by me at abt 8500-9000 m., spotted by crew at 8100 m. Moving away from target, crew lost sight at 9500-10,000 m.

I'll do some more on the weekend.

Rubini 03-30-07 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece
Hi Rubini, I have a problem now with Sonar, using "GWX - Stay Alert _crew fix_v1c" I was at Periscope depth & selected Sonar to give constant reports, this was ok, then I surfaced, but he kept on giving reports "SO: Reports ....", this keeps going until ship is sunk!:cry:

Yes, this is a stock bug. Nothing we can do until now.:hmm:

Rubini 03-30-07 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bert8for3

1. Day/cloud abt 6/10. Vis abt 75% relative to perfect. Some fog towards horizon, so I'd say low fog. Small merchant picked up by me at abt 8000 m., spotted by crew at 7700 m.

2. Day. Same conditions. Large cargo seen by me at abt 8500-9000 m., spotted by crew at 8100 m. Moving away from target, crew lost sight at 9500-10,000 m.

Thanks for the info mate. Just one question: Is this using Stay Alert fix over 16km or you are reporting the results from a clean 16km installation?

Another requestion: please also report yours distances at night and what tipe of fog. If you see a airplane also report the distance, ok?

bert8for3 03-30-07 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubini
Quote:

Thanks for the info mate. Just one question: Is this using Stay Alert fix over 16km or you are reporting the results from a clean 16km installation?

Another requestion: please also report yours distances at night and what tipe of fog. If you see a airplane also report the distance, ok?

From a clean 16k install of GWX102. ... didn't think/know there was a fix yet for the 16k, thought you still needed some input of 16k obs ... so let me know if this is still useful for you.

Rubini 03-30-07 10:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From a clean 16k install of GWX102. ... didn't think/know there was a fix yet for the 16k, thought you still needed some input of 16k obs ... so let me know if this is still useful for you.

Yes, thanks, totally useful and this is the unique possibility that I have to work on 16km (i don't use it)...if someone help me with the spotted distance , like you are doing. Continue posting!

bert8for3 03-30-07 10:55 AM

Quote:

... Yes, thanks, totally useful and this is the unique possibility that I have to work on 16km (i don't use it)...if someone help me with the spotted distance , like you are doing. Continue posting!

ok, tks/good, I should be able to do some more during the weekend.

Kpt. Kozloff 03-30-07 01:51 PM

Hi Rubini,
I've installed your mod and i'm testing it on another patrol at the moment (1941).
So far it works nicely and up to the description.
The only thing i've noticed is those pesky Elco boats can still suprise you with their typical charm even in good weather. Which is fine with me 'cause that's their role i guess. It's not about being immune right? Within identical weather conditions my WO spotted a Commerce Raider at just below 8000m but for an Elco it was close to 1000m (ca. 2300hrs, wind 6, no precipitations, no clouds, calm). I got attacked twice that way. They're scary when they storm at you with guns blazing.
Overall, it appears to be a MUST HAVE mod (at least for 8km atmo.)! I'm curious how it's going to work further on in my career when air cover gets thicker and radars come into use.
Thanks for your hard work.
Thumbs up!
:up: :up:

Jimbuna 03-30-07 02:03 PM

Quote:

Yes, thanks, totally useful and this is the unique possibility that I have to work on 16km (i don't use it)...if someone help me with the spotted distance , like you are doing. Continue posting!
I think it's only fair to let you know the reason why your not receiving any info from me :yep:
I'm playing your 8km now....you've totally converted me from the 16km :up: :arrgh!:

Rubini 03-30-07 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt. Kozloff
Hi Rubini,
I've installed your mod and i'm testing it on another patrol at the moment (1941).
So far it works nicely and up to the description.
The only thing i've noticed is those pesky Elco boats can still suprise you with their typical charm even in good weather. Which is fine with me 'cause that's their role i guess. It's not about being immune right? Within identical weather conditions my WO spotted a Commerce Raider at just below 8000m but for an Elco it was close to 1000m (ca. 2300hrs, wind 6, no precipitations, no clouds, calm). I got attacked twice that way. They're scary when they storm at you with guns blazing.
Overall, it appears to be a MUST HAVE mod (at least for 8km atmo.)! I'm curious how it's going to work further on in my career when air cover gets thicker and radars come into use.
Thanks for your hard work.
Thumbs up!
:up: :up:

Thanks by the report mate!
Yes, the small ships (and small airplanes too) are very difficult to see at night. Especially a Elco because they don't make so much noise (when you are surfaced) and don't have enough smoke. I guess that with a small and without smoke ship the situation is really that: you are the big fish!

I can adjust this on my settings but we will start to have some side effects. Anyway I think that the above exposed situation is very reasonable. What do you think?

OT: I, another day, noticed a GWX/SH3 little flaw: a small sail boat was detected by my SO (hydrophone) like all others loud ships: 20km! But this is true also without my mod. It's a Sh3 limitation. (the sail boats have a engine attached to them, so the SO will detect them).

Rubini 03-30-07 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna
Quote:

I think it's only fair to let you know the reason why your not receiving any info from me :yep:
I'm playing your 8km now....you've totally converted me from the 16km :up: :arrgh!:

LOL!
That is good! At least for me that also prefer the 8km for all the above exposed (on this thread and in the 16km original thread)...
And how it's going? Any problem with the mod?:hmm:

Jimbuna 03-30-07 03:01 PM

Quote:

And how it's going? Any problem with the mod?
Non whatsoever...it's nice to see the watch crew identify at the correct point in time :yep:
This is very much appreciated....but I can't help wonder if I'll eventually change back when the 16km version is perfected :D :damn:

Kpt. Kozloff 03-30-07 04:45 PM

Quote:

I can adjust this on my settings but we will start to have some side effects. Anyway I think that the above exposed situation is very reasonable. What do you think?

No adjustments needed here. I think that the surprise/ambush factor is right in this instance. On the other hand u-boat has similar advantage against a merchant.
When it comes to spotting aircraft, it's pretty much analogic.
So far, very happy with both.
:up:

Gedscho 03-31-07 02:03 AM

tried the mod today, and i collided with something while on 1024 TC. second collision sunk me. ofcourse i couldnt do anything to prevent it.

strange thing is, i really dont know what happened. was running surfaced and course was fine too.

if i understand this mod correctly, it only adjusts some variables for sensor behaviour...so i would say it shouldnt be the mods fault, but it sure was strange.... :hmm:

Laffertytig 03-31-07 05:23 AM

i have to say i much prefer using 16km visibility. im just about to start a gmx patrol so how far of from a 16km version of this mod are we and when its released can it be added mid patrol?