PDA

View Full Version : United States Submarines

Linton
10-18-06, 03:53 AM
I found this very large well presented book in a discount shop in the UK.I paid £20 for it in a book chain called Oldroyds.This is significantly cheaper than its normal list price.
The book even has a page written by the Onkel!

Platapus
05-16-07, 03:16 PM
Neal Stevens in print

I was very happy when my father gave me, for my last birthday a 2002 copy of “United States Submarines” published by the Naval Submarine League.

It is a nice book on the history of United States’ submarines. Plenty of good historical pictures and some modern day stuff. But imagine my surprise when turning to page 238. There is a short article on Computer Submarine Simulators.

Granted that this is dated information as the book was published in 2002, this article quickly described the history of Subsims. After reading it, I glanced at the name of the author and discovered it was our own Neal Stevens.

I did have to disagree with Mr. Stevens when he wrote that “Gato” was the “pong” of subsims. Subcommand was the pong of subsims but we can argue that off line.

A very nice short article that complemented the rest of the books history of submarines.

BZ

Sailor Steve
05-16-07, 08:28 PM
NO! You have to argue it here, so I can see what you're talking about. I've never played either of those 'sims'.:stare:

Platapus
05-21-07, 06:55 PM
I remember playing Subcommand on my Z-181 computer. It had two 720kb floppy drives and no hard drive but it did have CGA graphics ohhhhhhhhh

Subcommand was a pretty fun game actually and I think it was the first subsim where you could play a Type XXI sub.

And all that fit on a single 720 kb disk. And patches? how the hell were we supposed to get patches? all I had was my 300 baud modem and local BBSs

A mouse? Just lift your feet and it will scurry back in to its hole LoL